Now a days, phones are coming with 8 or 10 GB ram, not sure blackberry is still stuck at 4GB?

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    12-30-18 08:10 AM
    Now a days, phones are coming with 8 or 10 GB ram, not sure blackberry is still stuck at 4GB?

Posted via CB10
    Key2 has 6GB if memory serves me correctly...
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-30-18 08:23 AM
    Why is this in the Passport forum?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-18 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe OP owns a Passport. Oh well...
    12-30-18 09:25 AM
    Maybe OP owns a Passport. Oh well...
    Be that as it may, it's about BlackBerry phones with 4 gigs of ram so should be in a Blandroid subforum...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-18 09:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    So? Who needs that much RAM on their phone?

Hint: Barely anyone ever
    01-01-19 09:44 AM

Doomed to repeat history? Wasn’t it some guy, oh, I dunno, Bill Gates maybe, who said 640kB would be enough for anyone?

If there's something we learned, as soon as you give us more RAM, the software guys will find a way to use it up.
    01-01-19 04:08 PM
    Doomed to repeat history? Wasn’t it some guy, oh, I dunno, Bill Gates maybe, who said 640kB would be enough for anyone?

If there's something we learned, as soon as you give us more RAM, the software guys will find a way to use it up.
    Find me one KEY2 owner that just wishes they had more RAM, as in, actually needing it for their daily usage.
    01-01-19 06:36 PM
    Find me one KEY2 owner that just wishes they had more RAM, as in, actually needing it for their daily usage.
    Well that’s the problem. BB doesn’t make device with more RAM, people that need less RAM buys them. It’s a vicious circle. They will never appeal to power users.

And before you say that most BB users are power users, it’s false. Power users are users that multitask frequently, that entertain and work on their device. More RAM would mean smoother device.
    01-01-19 06:42 PM
    Well that’s the problem. BB doesn’t make device with more RAM, people that need less RAM buys them. It’s a vicious circle. They will never appeal to power users.

And before you say that most BB users are power users, it’s false. Power users are users that multitask frequently, that entertain and work on their device. More RAM would mean smoother device.
    Isn't 6GB enough in 2019 ?

Again, would 8GB really make a difference ?
    01-01-19 07:04 PM

I believe 6 GB is the standard for Android, 8 would be what Android have in 2019.

OP was referring to 4GB.
    01-01-19 07:40 PM

Seems like a lot to me, a better processor is probably more beneficial. How is Key2's anyways?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-19 02:16 AM
    Blackberry Evolve x is due to have 6 gb ram if it is launched....
    01-02-19 12:13 PM
    I believe 6 GB is the standard for Android, 8 would be what Android have in 2019.
    Said the guy who only pays attention to flagship phones. LOL.

6GB, or even 4GB, is hardly "standard". Hell, 2GB is barely standard today among entry-level phones, and the most popular mid-grade phone, the Moto 6 (6th Gen) has either 3 or 4 GB, depending on sub-model.
    01-02-19 05:33 PM

With Desktop UIs like Samsung DeX and Huawei Desktop, trust me, there will be places to use this.

Lol, I remember a time people asked why we need more than 1GB RAM.

Imagine your KEY2 had 1GB RAM...
    01-02-19 05:38 PM
    Said the guy who only pays attention to flagship phones. LOL.

6GB, or even 4GB, is hardly "standard". Hell, 2GB is barely standard today among entry-level phones, and the most popular mid-grade phone, the Moto 6 (6th Gen) has either 3 or 4 GB, depending on sub-model.
    Most phone with 4GB of RAM has huge issues with memory management (I’m talking about Android phones). Look at the latest Google Pixel! It’s suppose to be pure Android, but memory management is a mess. 4 GB is just barely enough for Android nowadays
    01-02-19 05:42 PM
    I just think it's ridiculous when a new slab comes out and all it brings to the table is 2GB more of RAM.

What a lazy a** way for a manufacturer to pretend like they did something/innovated.

Let's face it: They're scared of taking risks with major design differences and all end up copying Apple to one degree or another.
    01-02-19 06:52 PM
    it depends where your geographic location - app develop quality and add-on "features" hidden behind such as Chinese Mega app, and some indian creations. High RAM is required for those applications and more tolerate to poor constructed app. IMHO. If you are living at those regions, you might want to get high RAM.
    01-02-19 09:16 PM
    it depends where your geographic location - app develop quality and add-on "features" hidden behind such as Chinese Mega app, and some indian creations. High RAM is required for those applications and more tolerate to poor constructed app. IMHO. If you are living at those regions, you might want to get high RAM.
    I highly doubt that all device manufacturer allows their OS to be tampered with.

Maybe the Chinese manufacturers, if they do.
    01-02-19 09:52 PM
    01-03-19 04:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not. It is in Popular / General
    01-03-19 04:56 AM
    I just think it's ridiculous when a new slab comes out and all it brings to the table is 2GB more of RAM.

What a lazy a** way for a manufacturer to pretend like they did something/innovated.

Let's face it: They're scared of taking risks with major design differences and all end up copying Apple to one degree or another.
    We get it, you hate slabs.

I have not seen any OEM advertise RAM. Apple still use 4GB RAM.

What is so wrong with us getting better hardware?

Do you prefer older tech? It's like your complaining about getting a better device.
    01-03-19 05:52 AM
    It's not. It is in Popular / General
    It got moved.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-19 06:07 AM

Do you prefer older tech? It's like your complaining about getting a better device.
    You may have misunderstood my point.

It's not the RAM upgrade, it's the fact that OEM's think consumers should buy their newest and greatest just because it has tiny spec bumps, such as a marginally better processor and 1GB or 2GB extra RAM.

It's lazy.

I don't necessarily hate slabs themselves, just the overdomination of them in the past years.
    01-03-19 08:05 AM

Well Apple is a whole different story... they invested a lot on software optimisation in order to use less RAM.

It’s what Oreo was supposed to do for Android...
    01-03-19 08:06 AM
50 12