My son works at Radio shack so I am considering purchasing
    a BB from him. He gets commission on the data plan etc.
    My carrier is AT&T and I am deciding between the Bold and
    the Curve 8900.

Should I have any concerns about the phones they carry?
    Are they the same as in the AT&T store? Are the OS and all
    updates current? Just wondering so any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    08-22-09 08:03 AM
    My son works at Radio shack so I am considering purchasing
    a BB from him. He gets commission on the data plan etc.
    My carrier is AT&T and I am deciding between the Bold and
    the Curve 8900.

Should I have any concerns about the phones they carry?
    Are they the same as in the AT&T store? Are the OS and all
    updates current? Just wondering so any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    I also work at Radio Shack. Every store has a district AT&T rep. All of the phones and plans are the same, however Radio Shack gives instant rebates as opposed to the mail in type that you find at the actual carrier stores so you save money immediately. The only thing I would say is Radio Shack doesn't put us through a lot of training so you wont get all the details you might at a corporate store, but seeing as its your son you shouldnt have any troubles. Don't forget about the Radio Shack warranty/replacement program. It will save you tons of money as compared to the insurance offered as a monthly option through AT&T, for Radio Shack it is a one time fee. You can also trade in an old phone for a small amount of money towards the purchase of your new phone. As for updates, your son should be able to do that for you, or you can always come here and easily learn how to do it yourself.

Hope this helps. Great commission for your son!
    Last edited by BlueBerry9550; 08-22-09 at 08:15 AM.
    08-22-09 08:12 AM
    I also work at Radio Shack. Every store has a district AT&T rep. All of the phones and plans are the same, however Radio Shack gives instant rebates as opposed to the mail in type that you find at the actual carrier stores so you save money immediately. The only thing I would say is Radio Shack doesn't put us through a lot of training so you wont get all the details you might at a corporate store, but seeing as its your son you shouldnt have any troubles. Don't forget about the Radio Shack warranty/replacement program. It will save you tons of money as compared to the insurance offered as a monthly option through AT&T, for Radio Shack it is a one time fee. You can also trade in an old phone for a small amount of money towards the purchase of your new phone. As for updates, your son should be able to do that for you, or you can always come here and easily learn how to do it yourself.

Great help. Good to know about the store warranty/replacement plan.
    Thanks for the info! Now the hard part, Bold or 8900.
    08-22-09 08:34 AM

Can't get any better than that!
    08-22-09 09:34 AM
    The Bold has a better CPU (the brains of the BB), 3G on the plus side, on the negative (as compared to the 8900) it only has 128MBs of App memory (which is like RAM is to a PC, the more the better) HOWEVER 128 is plenty.

The major pluses of the 8900 are the 256MBs of App memory and it's smaller size (SOME prefer it). BUT on the downside you do not get 3G (the fastest ATT speeds) and the CPU is not as good.

Both are solid BBs and include wifi (which may make up for the 8900's lack of 3G). I say get the bold, UNLESS you really like 3rd Party Apps (and you can still get plenty on to the bold), and you want the smaller size of the 8900.
    08-22-09 09:57 AM
    The only issue I had was with the warranty stuff. The phone I got from there had an issue so they sent it in for warranty work.

Here's the thing, the phone goes to some facility where it gets put in a queue and then inspected by someone. Of course they can't fix it so they ship it to their supplier or whoever for replacement.

It then comes back to the depot and put in a queue. Then it's shipped back to the store for you.

I did this 2 times and each time it took 3 to 3.5 weeks to get the phone back. They don't even give you a temp phone like Rogers does while you wait for yours to come back.

After the second time I tossed the phone out and went to Rogers to buy my first BlackBerry. Best decision I ever made.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 12:19 PM
    The only issue I had was with the warranty stuff. The phone I got from there had an issue so they sent it in for warranty work.

Here's the thing, the phone goes to some facility where it gets put in a queue and then inspected by someone. Of course they can't fix it so they ship it to their supplier or whoever for replacement.

It then comes back to the depot and put in a queue. Then it's shipped back to the store for you.

I did this 2 times and each time it took 3 to 3.5 weeks to get the phone back. They don't even give you a temp phone like Rogers does while you wait for yours to come back.

After the second time I tossed the phone out and went to Rogers to buy my first BlackBerry. Best decision I ever made.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is true, the repair process does go through this long drawn out process. However you should be given the option of either the repair plan OR the replacement plan, in which case I would definitely choose the latter even though it may be ten dollars or so more.
    08-23-09 05:42 AM
    This is true, the repair process does go through this long drawn out process. However you should be given the option of either the repair plan OR the replacement plan, in which case I would definitely choose the latter even though it may be ten dollars or so more.
    More great advise. Thanks.
    Now I just need to dedide on the model.
    08-23-09 05:56 AM
    More great advise. Thanks.
    Now I just need to dedide on the model.
    That's a tough decision. The 8900 is a great phone, but if I had the money I would probably go with the Bold. 3g, plenty of app memory, and that leather battery cover is killer. However you won't be disappointed with the 8900 either unless you are looking for blazing fast internet browsing and data coverage.

Found this thread with some better info on these phones: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bold-vs-8900-a-299228/
    Last edited by BlueBerry9550; 08-23-09 at 06:03 AM.
    08-23-09 06:00 AM
    Ive always felt better about getting products from the corporate stores. Not saying that the Radio Shacks and Walmarts are not capable, but at the actual store you seem to get a lil more info.
    08-23-09 08:17 AM
    Ive always felt better about getting products from the corporate stores. Not saying that the Radio Shacks and Walmarts are not capable, but at the actual store you seem to get a lil more info.
    The last time I needed a new phone, the rep @ the Tmo store actually told me to go buy the upgrade at Best Buy as I would be able to get a better discount on the same phone!
    08-23-09 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD