Since GSM version of BB10 is approved through FCC, why didn't AT&T and T-Mobile release it anyways? I find it odd since Big Blue and Big Red are always neck and neck against each other for subscribers. I also find it odd since Vodafone UK owns Big Red, but they have it already across the pond. The logic of more subscribers = $$$ makes sense considering blackberry user contracts are up (due to waiting for BB10) as most forum users say. Just looking for opinions on this.
    02-01-13 06:33 PM
    Agree...something smells and I hope we find out the full story.
    02-01-13 06:47 PM
    I'm glad to hear that the GSM version is working and myself and more then a few friends are really hoping we don't have to wait too long for GCI, an Alaskan cell carrier, to get the new BBs. I still have the curve 8520 and am using the bold 9650.
    02-01-13 06:48 PM
    I'm glad to hear that the GSM version is working and myself and more then a few friends are really hoping we don't have to wait too long for GCI, an Alaskan cell carrier, to get the new BBs. I still have the curve 8520 and am using the bold 9650.
    Northwest Tel not doing the BB10?? What is NWT? Welcome btw...
    02-01-13 06:52 PM
    Politics and payouts to delay is my guess something fishy for sure
    02-01-13 06:55 PM
    I think Chris made an excellent point on it in his blog post earlier today. Here's what he said:

"Among the big US carriers, that leaves Verizon. They've clearly announced support for the Z10. But this phone would require an LTE and CDMA radio. This is definitely more complex (and unique) compared to LTE / HSPA / GSM phones. It's entirely possible that Verizon's testing process is just not as far along as the other guys. And, given the history of Verizon's support for new BlackBerry devices (remember the Storm exclusives?), it's possible that there is an agreement in place that guarantees Verizon a spot at the table upon initial launch.

I'm speculating a bit here, but it is my best guess that Verizon is the gating factor in the US launch of the BlackBerry Z10
    ."

Essentially, if Chris is correct (and if I'm interpreting his writing correctly), BlackBerry and Verizon have an agreement in place that states that VZW must be one of the first carriers to offer the Z10 in the U.S. No other carrier can launch before it, but may possibly be able to launch at the same time. If this is true, it certainly explains why the GSM-based carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) aren't releasing their devices even though the same model has been approved for launch elsewhere around the world. Also, of the four U.S. carriers, we've seen the most of Verizon's variant of the Z10 through leaks, both testing models and dummy models. However, as evidenced by the launch event (and even prior Dev Alphas), the devices run flawlessly on AT&T's network, so much so that I'm thinking they had a huge part to play in New York's launch event and during the development of BlackBerry 10.

It simply adds up together a bit too well.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 02-01-13 at 07:57 PM.
    02-01-13 07:40 PM
    Essentially, if Chris is correct (and if I'm interpreting his writing correctly), BlackBerry and Verizon have an agreement in place that states that VZW must be one of the first carriers to offer the Z10 in the U.S. No other carrier can launch before it, but may possibly be able to launch at the same time.

This was my first initial thought when the frustrations were expressed about a US launch not being until March. I figured with VZW being the biggest and baddest, swings the biggest stick, they likely had some (maybe strongarm) agreement in place to either be first or simultaneous with he other US carriers.

I know their network is more mixed than the rest, and maybe they do have some longer testing protocols, but maybe they have used their weight to have BlackBerry force the other carriers to wait (in a way making some of the reported emails from Verizon true, but not necessarily in their case)

Pure speculation on my part.....
    jimpilot likes this.
    02-01-13 07:56 PM