I just wanted to ask a quick question on something. I use my BB 8900 a lot ever since I got it just last week. When I'm at home and connected to Wifi, all of the apps I use ie. Pandora, GMail, UberTwitter, Browser don't count towards data right? They all connect through my wifi? Because my uncle who has the same phone as me cannot use apps like AIM, Gmail, Pandora, etc. Neither of us have the data plan and for him, it tells him he cannot access the apps without a data plan, while I can. I just wanted to make sure I will not be charged for using these "data" apps at home through a wifi connection. I hope I made my question clear. If anyone needs further clarification, just say so.
    12-29-09 10:43 PM
    The browser should be fine since you can browse with wifi only. The apps I'm not so sure about. You mentioned you don't have a data plan but the apps work? I'd double check to make sure you're not being charged for using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 01:59 AM
    When I'm at home and connected to Wifi, all of the apps I use ie. Pandora, GMail, UberTwitter, Browser don't count towards data right? ...
    If your 8900 displays UMA in the connection, you are using your Wifi connection. When UMA is active, all voice, text and data will use the high speed Wifi connection.

That will allow it to work with applications that do not require BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). That includes your Hotspot Browser and some third party applications.

The best advise we can offer, go easy on your data use until you get your first bill. Review it carefully to determine which applications are being charged for data use. If so, don't use that application.

If you did have a T-Mobile data plan, the answer is much simpler, Yes.

12-30-09 09:26 AM
    The browser should be fine since you can browse with wifi only. The apps I'm not so sure about. You mentioned you don't have a data plan but the apps work? I'd double check to make sure you're not being charged for using it.

Thank you for both replies, I appreciate it. And yes, apps that require data plan to even start work for me such as app world and aim. I checked the t mobile site and it has no mentions of my plan. So yes, I will thoroughly review the bill when it comes. I don't think I've been using much data anyway so hopefully I will not be surprised by a bill of $1000 or something outrageous.

12-30-09 09:42 AM
    apps that require data plan to even start work for me such as app world and aim. ...
    Ahh... if you have access to BlackBerry App World, you do have BIS enabled on your account.
    12-30-09 09:57 AM
    You mentioned Gmail. Gmail does not work over WiFi so you're using data for that.
    12-30-09 10:10 AM
    Do you know why I have BIS enabled? I did not sign up for it nor did I sign anything,

12-30-09 10:53 AM
    Bump, still looking for answers.

01-01-10 08:27 AM
    At this stage, T-Mobile Customer Service is your definitive source of answers.
    01-01-10 09:35 AM
    I would call customer service and ask them what's on your account. Recently they have begun requiring a data plan on full-keyboard BlackBerry phones. So when Wal-Mart exchanged your phone for a full-keyboard BB, the activation process probably added the $35/mo data plan.

Edit: woops got my posts and replies mixed up. A different thread mentioned exchanging at Wal-Mart. But still, call CS. If you're getting BIS functionality and uppercase coverage indicators (GSM/EDGE/UMA vs. gsm/edge/uma), there's a data plan on your account.
    Last edited by hubermania; 01-01-10 at 10:24 AM. Reason: my own stupidity
    01-01-10 10:13 AM
    We discussed this further on this thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/abl...a-plan-396898/

I provided MUCH more detail in that thread than I have here. If anyone has thoughts on this or anything to add please say so here or on that thread because I still do not have a clear answer.
    01-01-10 03:42 PM
    Have you called T-Mobile to find out what plan you're on? Wouldn't that be simpler than all this speculation? They're 24/7, right??
    01-01-10 03:49 PM
    Read the thread I provided in my recent post. I can't call T-Mobile and ask them for information because I am not an authorized person to do so. And the person who is authorized refuses to call because well, she's pretty damn lazy. If something goes wrong like if she's charged most likely she'll kill me even though she told me to just enjoy it. So I want a sure answer.
    01-01-10 03:53 PM
    some apps use wi-fi and some dont it all depends on the application
    01-01-10 05:15 PM
    Read the thread I provided in my recent post. I can't call T-Mobile and ask them for information because I am not an authorized person to do so. And the person who is authorized refuses to call because well, she's pretty damn lazy. If something goes wrong like if she's charged most likely she'll kill me even though she told me to just enjoy it. So I want a sure answer.
    Good thing you've got two threads on the go.

Anyway, why are you so concerned? It doesn't sound like you're responsible for the bill and the person who is doesn't care.

You are either being charged, or you aren't and your service will end, or it won't. Time will tell.

Next.
    01-01-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD