This has probably been answered hundreds of times before but I've not worked out the search function on the mobile forums yet.

I have a Bold, which I love dearly, but with the life cycle of the current pearl coming to an end soon I'm thinking I'll grab one as a second device if I see any cheap, it's just a nicer size to pocket when I'm not going to be typing massive emails and browsing the internet, and losing it on a night out wouldn't be quite as painful.

My question is this: can I use two devices on my 02 BIS and set it up so I can just swap my SIM card between the two with my push email etc remaining fairly seemless? Or will it be a hassle?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 11:48 AM
    yes you can, no it will be seemless. you need to bookmark you bis site. https://bis.eu.blackberry.com, remember your username and password, and know each devices pin and esn. options/status. once you have all of the above you will just need to swap sim/log into website/change pin and esn to new phone. and your good.
    01-10-10 11:51 AM
    It won't be as seemless as swapping out a SIM because you'll need to log into the BIS portal and port the new PIN/IMEI to the account. If your carrier is SIM based, then when you put your SIM in a new BB and run Email Setup from the new BB, you'll get prompted to associate with the new BB (so what mostlydo said above is not entirely correct because RIM has updated BIS to support this new feature within the past 6 months). However, your emails and other locally stored data won't be transfered over as part of this process... you'd need to backup/restore the data via DM from phone to phone if you want it to be consistent.

Basically, it's kind of a pain in the azz to do on a regular basis if you're swapping phone for fashion shake.
    01-10-10 12:15 PM
    I have yet to actually use (except for testing that it worked on my account) my backup device.
    01-10-10 12:17 PM
    That's what I thought.

I guess it's not that bad, with the PIN and IMEI numbers for each phone saved on my laptop I could copy and paste them across in a few seconds. I guess it would be a lot easier if I could just switch SIMs and leave the house.

It's only because I don't want to go out drinking and lose/break my bold, I've become so attached to this thing that I'd be heartbroken if I dropped it in a puddle (I normally have a habit of dropping phones into pints of beer but I doubt the bold would fit in a pint glass.)

01-10-10 12:21 PM
    Kind of off in left field here, but an Android device would provide this sort of "swappability" much better. It would also port all your info from device to device as it's all stored in the cloud... I know this isn't what you're looking for in an answer, but from a platform standpoint, Android allows for this sort of easy swappability by simply moving the SIM from device to device and loggin in via the SAME GMail account you always use.

To some extent, I wish RIM did something like this....
    01-10-10 12:24 PM
    Kind of off in left field here, but an Android device would provide this sort of "swappability" much better. It would also port all your info from device to device as it's all stored in the cloud... I know this isn't what you're looking for in an answer, but from a platform standpoint, Android allows for this sort of easy swappability by simply moving the SIM from device to device and loggin in via the SAME GMail account you always use.

To some extent, I wish RIM did something like this....
    True, Although I'm not a fan of touchscreen phones, which is what seems to be the norm for android devices.

I know local data won't be seamless, doesn't bother me so Much as long as contacts can be copied in DM occasionally, I know I'd use a second BB as i've resorted to my knackered old Nokia 1600 backup on more than one occasion when I've been going out and I've known my phone is at risk, and I've only had the bold since october (the 1600 was previously the backup for my N95, it saw a fair bit of use then too)

I like the idea of a Second BB though as the battery on the 1600 needs replacing anyway, it would seem a little more natural than the properly dumb Nokia and would allow me to carry have a throwaway phone that fulfils all the bare functions of my main device.

01-10-10 12:38 PM
    This has probably been answered hundreds of times before but I've not worked out the search function on the mobile forums yet.

I have a Bold, which I love dearly, but with the life cycle of the current pearl coming to an end soon I'm thinking I'll grab one as a second device if I see any cheap, it's just a nicer size to pocket when I'm not going to be typing massive emails and browsing the internet, and losing it on a night out wouldn't be quite as painful.

My question is this: can I use two devices on my 02 BIS and set it up so I can just swap my SIM card between the two with my push email etc remaining fairly seemless? Or will it be a hassle?

I do this to a degree. I have to use a 8830we while I'm at work (no camera phone environment) and have a Curve 8330 as my main BB. I turn off the BB I'm putting on the shelf, turn on the one I want to use, dial *228 option 3 follow directions. Log into my BIS acct on a pc, switch devices and I'm good to go. If I have added anything to either BB, I perform a backup and when I switch devices, I restore that specific info to the current device.
    01-10-10 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD