No matter what device you own its bound to freeze once in a blue moon.. just happy we have the ability to pull the battery. If an iphone really locks up you have to wait until the battery dies and recharge it in order to reboot it!
    How to Hard Reset an iPhone - wikiHow
    01-27-13 01:05 PM
    I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to get the person who let me play with the Z10 to get in any trouble. After the battery pull some screen came up asking to identify the reason for the reboot. If for some reason it really was a one in a million type thing, maybe it could out him.

Here's what I can say. It wasn't n app that caused the problem. It was OS related, core function. It did not "lock up" or "freeze". Everything else on the device worked. We spent about a minute trying to resolve the problem. Maybe if we kept trying we might have been successful but I was interested in seeing the boot time so I suggested the pull.

Sounds like your HUB disappeared
    01-27-13 01:28 PM
    You know I keep seeing this said yet I've had my pb lock up where a 3 finger salute was needed more than a few times. I guess it's one of those high risk times when it does.
    I never understood this as well. My PlayBook has locked up many times and never recovered. A 3 finger restart was always needed to "revive" it.

Maybe though this has not been fully optimized in the Playbook OS2.1, because it surely doesn't work the way I've read it should work. Here's to hoping the BB10 devices have that "feature" functional.
    01-27-13 02:33 PM
    Glad to hear that they didn't actually need a battery pull.

Rather it was a case of "something didn't work right and since we were running pre-release software and also couldn't figure out how to make it work, we tried the time-honoured approach of rebooting but it's possible that wasn't really necessary." Just to be clear about it...

If someone says "needed a battery pull", that pretty much means "froze hard," to my way of thinking.
    JR A likes this.
    01-27-13 03:13 PM
    BBOS? I feel like my PlayBook takes longer than my Torch finish a reboot.

Anyway, this is great to hear!
    Funnily enough, my experience is very much similar. Ever since the last few updates, my Torch reboot time is pretty acceptable, while my PlayBook still takes an eternity. Having said that, I've only ever needed to reboot my PlayBook once (excluding updates), while my 9810 asks for it almost everytime I install (or uninstall) a new app. But I'm sure whatever unit the OP was using still wasn't quite finalized, so hopefully we won't see this happen often on final units, though it's nice to hear that the boot is already quick at the very least.
    Yeah, the PB does take time to reboot.....longer than any other BB device. The 9810, has gotten better(quicker) reboots with the upgraded OS for me. Personally, I do like the option to BP. I haven't had many issues with my GSlll or my iPhone lV, but, it does happen.
    01-27-13 03:16 PM
    Yep. Also, I have yet to see a phone without a removable battery not be able to reset. Not sure where this not being able to reset hogwash comes from. That said, I won't buy a phone without the ability to remove the battery simply because I like to have a spare on hand.
    01-27-13 07:30 PM
    from the posters explaination on post #43, it sounds like it worked as intended, the app could have went non responsive, called a UI sequence incorrectly, anything... so it does sound to me like an app issue, core function or not theyre all still apps, native or 3rd party...
    it sounds like a bug in the UI code, if the program calls something non-existent or an empty file, etc it could look and feel like the phone is non-responsive.. you could literally program an app that would give the appearence of crashing your phone, with the different functions and the ability to control certain gestures, etc its entirely possible... the phone crashing, the micorkernel crashing, the phone just shutting off and dying, random reboots... THESE are real issues i would be worried about, none responsive UI is a symptom of bad programming as other posters have suggested
    01-27-13 07:57 PM
    I will probably do a battery pull on my Z10 weekly weather it needs it or not. I am just used to doing it with all of my other BB's. It does not bother me all that much. As long as I am not doing 10 battery pulls a day like I did on my original storm. Like others have stated a battery pull or an app crash is expected on ALL devices, no matter what they are. Excessive and it becomes a problem. On occasion, not so much
    01-27-13 08:10 PM
    did one yesterday on my 9860 when it froze. Have done it a few times on my 8520. Not a traumatic exercise.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 08:18 PM
    If it takes your phone that long, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with whatever BB10's boot up time is lol
    Just rebooted. 17 minutes. .

Bb10 is supposed to be under one minute. My dev alpha is about 3.
    01-27-13 09:20 PM
    My 9790 is pretty quick. like a minute.
    01-27-13 09:29 PM
    I carry a spare battery for the 9900 and swap them out all the time. I think that is what keeps it running so problem free. It has locked up a few times but just Like desktop a restart takes care of the problem. I am confident that is not going to be A big problem with bb10.
    01-27-13 10:14 PM
    Just rebooted. 17 minutes. .

Bb10 is supposed to be under one minute. My dev alpha is about 3.
    Even your Dev Alpha will significantly improve.....soon.
    01-28-13 01:34 AM
    sorry what worries you ???????? that it crashes... everything crashes.... this is not particular to bb10!!... final or not, any os will crash given time and usage , its a simple law of consumer electronics...
    This worries me. Hopefully it's because it's not the final version.
    01-28-13 02:20 AM
    I hope the final version wont need battery pull anymore
    Its embarrassing sometimes when ppl notice my torch freezes and i had to do a battery pull
    01-28-13 03:59 AM
    Sounds like your HUB disappeared
    Sounds like an issue you have had experience with. How often have you seen this problem on the Z10's your testing?
    & is it due to the OS not running the full code?
    01-28-13 06:35 AM
    sorry what worries you ???????? that it crashes... everything crashes.... this is not particular to bb10!!... final or not, any os will crash given time and usage , its a simple law of consumer electronics...
    The very nature of QNX should make it IMPOSSIBLE for an app crash to take down the OS. This is an OS that powers nuclear facilities.
    01-28-13 08:47 AM
    Sounds like an issue you have had experience with. How often have you seen this problem on the Z10's your testing?
    & is it due to the OS not running the full code?
    Who said anything about my testing? The OS is not the full OS, and alot will change with the announcements on the 30th.
    01-28-13 08:50 AM
    The very nature of QNX should make it IMPOSSIBLE for an app crash to take down the OS. This is an OS that powers nuclear facilities.
    QNX is the core, the UI on top could crash and lock everything out, but the underlying functions remain active. While your phone wouldnt be "frozen" it would be fairly useless.
    01-28-13 08:51 AM
    qnx can and will crash especially since the ui/ux thats on it requires apps not native to run on it , any consumer electronics that requires user interface and input/output will crash at one time or the other, yes qnx as is runs in a lot of mission critical situations, that in itself doesnt mean it wont crash, it just means its rare and when it does there are system backups that will kick in, everything is susceptible to crashes,
    01-28-13 09:02 AM
    I think there is a big misconception on QNX and the differences between it and BB10. BB10 is not controlling power plants.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-28-13 09:07 AM
    Who said anything about my testing? The OS is not the full OS, and alot will change with the announcements on the 30th.
    I don't know how you know if what I was using was the full OS or not. Or that it will change on the 30th.

As an aside, another thing I noticed that I didn't ike too much was after it booted up, it still took another 30 seconds or so for the hub to load. So maybe the quick boot time might be a bit misleading.
    01-28-13 09:43 AM
    I don't know how you know if what I was using was the full OS or not. Or that it will change on the 30th.

As an aside, another thing I noticed that I didn't ike too much was after it booted up, it still took another 30 seconds or so for the hub to load. So maybe the quick boot time might be a bit misleading.
    That sounds like Windows 8. It boots faster, but it takes much longer after logging in for startup apps and such to be ready than Windows 7.
    01-28-13 10:01 AM
    Don't feed the troll on a beta OS...
    01-28-13 11:50 AM
    Battery pull/reboot - Goto 3:45 in video #2
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7893029
    01-28-13 11:54 AM
78 1234