Good news: restarted after a battery pull in less than a minute

Bad news: needed a battery pull

Anybody else witness a battery pull? I'm hoping I was the 1 in a million.
    01-26-13 01:08 PM
    No matter what device you own its bound to freeze once in a blue moon.. just happy we have the ability to pull the battery. If an iphone really locks up you have to wait until the battery dies and recharge it in order to reboot it!
    01-26-13 01:12 PM
    This is good news, also, every phone needs to reset once in a while.
    iPhone's have a disadvantage as you can't take the battery out.
    My friend's iPhone camera flash wouldn't turn off after shut down, it was odd.
    That is one reason why I like removable batteries.
    cylaer likes this.
    01-26-13 01:13 PM
    I agree with the other posters as well. I've done my share of battery pulls on Samsung galaxy devices. Sometimes things freeze or get slow.
    coffeedoctor43 and cylaer like this.
    01-26-13 01:15 PM
    Somewhere around 40 secs i think is what we have seen. Much better than the 3-5 minutes on the old BBOS!

Also you can reset the iphone by holding down a combination of buttons, you dont have to wait for the battery to die. Most all non removable battery devices have a button combo to rely on if needed.
    01-26-13 01:18 PM
    Maybe it is a good thing, but after hearing Thorstein once claim that he hadn't done it in 8 weeks, the 30 minutes I had with it made me feel unlucky.
    coffeedoctor43 likes this.
    01-26-13 01:20 PM
    Somewhere around 40 secs i think is what we have seen. Much better than the 3-5 minutes on the old BBOS!

Also you can reset the iphone by holding down a combination of buttons, you dont have to wait for the battery to die. Most all non removable battery devices have a button combo to rely on if needed.
    Generally speaking yes.. but it does happen (all be it rarely) where it completely freezes up and doesn't respond to any buttons.. in that case since the battery doesn't come out the only option is to let it die.
    jesse_h, Geeoff and coffeedoctor43 like this.
    01-26-13 01:30 PM

BBOS? I feel like my PlayBook takes longer than my Torch finish a reboot.

Anyway, this is great to hear!
    01-26-13 01:32 PM
    BBOS? I feel like my PlayBook takes longer than my Torch finish a reboot.

Anyway, this is great to hear!
    Funnily enough, my experience is very much similar. Ever since the last few updates, my Torch reboot time is pretty acceptable, while my PlayBook still takes an eternity. Having said that, I've only ever needed to reboot my PlayBook once (excluding updates), while my 9810 asks for it almost everytime I install (or uninstall) a new app. But I'm sure whatever unit the OP was using still wasn't quite finalized, so hopefully we won't see this happen often on final units, though it's nice to hear that the boot is already quick at the very least.
    anon(3896606) and just_luc like this.
    01-26-13 01:39 PM
    That isn't unexpected, you were probably using a nightly. The final version is supposed to be rock solid.
    anon(3896606) and lewcat like this.
    01-26-13 01:40 PM
    My friends on Android have to restart daily so that basic receiving calls/text functions don't get jammed up on Sprint...I need to refer to Kevin's smartphone hierarchy of needs to see how Android is prevalent as I'm surprised it even passes quality control.
    01-26-13 03:00 PM
    why has no one done a boot up video yet
    BBPandy and Bobert_123 like this.
    01-26-13 03:09 PM
    No matter what device you own its bound to freeze once in a blue moon.. just happy we have the ability to pull the battery. If an iphone really locks up you have to wait until the battery dies and recharge it in order to reboot it!
    if you hold the lock button down for like 15 seconds the iPhone reboots itself
    01-26-13 03:14 PM
    My friends on Android have to restart daily so that basic receiving calls/text functions don't get jammed up on Sprint...I need to refer to Kevin's smartphone hierarchy of needs to see how Android is prevalent as I'm surprised it even passes quality control.
    I'm sure they do
    01-26-13 04:06 PM
    why has no one done a boot up video yet
    Because it boots soooo fast, you can't capture it on film!
    01-26-13 05:03 PM
    Funnily enough, my experience is very much similar. Ever since the last few updates, my Torch reboot time is pretty acceptable, while my PlayBook still takes an eternity. Having said that, I've only ever needed to reboot my PlayBook once (excluding updates), while my 9810 asks for it almost everytime I install (or uninstall) a new app. But I'm sure whatever unit the OP was using still wasn't quite finalized, so hopefully we won't see this happen often on final units, though it's nice to hear that the boot is already quick at the very least.
    Obviously it wouldn't be final, I'm sure that comes Jan.30th. But I'm sure it was as updated as anybody has used. And it didn't freeze. Another function failed that we couldn't resolve without a pull.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-26-13 05:03 PM
    On Playbook's you didn't have to pull the battery (you couldn't). Try the same - push the top button and hold it there.
    01-26-13 05:07 PM
    if you hold the lock button down for like 15 seconds the iPhone reboots itself
    see below...
    Generally speaking yes.. but it does happen (all be it rarely) where it completely freezes up and doesn't respond to any buttons.. in that case since the battery doesn't come out the only option is to let it die.

On Playbook's you didn't have to pull the battery (you couldn't). Try the same - push the top button and hold it there.
    There have been a few times where it would have been nice to have been able too though..
    01-26-13 05:20 PM
    The thing to remember too is that in most cases of needing a restart it isn't a problem with the OS, it is usually a third party app that causes the need for it. This regardless of device, smartphone, laptop, you name it...at some point it is going to happen, one of those 1 is going to be read as a 0...
    Last edited by rjkolo; 01-28-13 at 01:33 PM.
    Cesare21, ladeberry and just_luc like this.
    01-26-13 05:46 PM
    Boot time of bb10 on the dev alpha is quite good. Still not as fast as iOS or Android, but good enough for me. There was a build of the BB10 OS which was ridiculously fast, and I'm not sure if they'll ever be able to get back to that boot time. In any event, battery pulls because of hour-glassing is a thing of the past....
    01-26-13 06:09 PM
    . In any event, battery pulls because of hour-glassing is a thing of the past....
    Amen.. there's a big difference between having to do a battery pull on a rare occasion because of an unexpected event, or conflict with a 3rd party app, and having to do one every day or two because the memory leak causes the device to slow down to the point of being unusable after 48hrs uptime!
    Geeoff likes this.
    01-26-13 06:18 PM
    Good news: restarted after a battery pull in less than a minute

Bad news: needed a battery pull

Anybody else witness a battery pull? I'm hoping I was the 1 in a million.
    You had a Z10 that crashed? a z10 device?
    01-26-13 06:19 PM
    I can't understand why people think BB10 phones will never crash (or shocked to hear that a restart is needed). QNX as implemented at nuclear power plants and cars is different compared to implementation on BB10. There's WAY more stuff going on in BB10 (and other phone OS') that can cause the phone to crash (most of the time is third party applications or crappy websites killing the ram on the browser). iPhones crash, WP8 phones crash, Android phone crash (a lot).
    01-26-13 06:27 PM
    This worries me. Hopefully it's because it's not the final version.
    01-26-13 06:29 PM
    There is one thing about QNX though - it has a microkernel, not a monolithic one like others do. Apps are free to crash but the kernel will stay alive. Also, with proper resource management crash of one app will have much harder time affecting another (still possible via shared resources but much lower risk).
    00stryder, Geeoff and MoolahMitch like this.
    01-26-13 06:32 PM
78 123 ...