I have been reading about uprading the os on my 8330, and I have a few questions...

Why would I need to delete the vendor file before upgrading? My service is with Sprint. Would I gain anything by downloading the newest os from anywhere else but the Sprint website?

Do I need to wipe my system before upgrading? I noticed when reading the procedures for wiping, you do a full backup, wipe, upgrade, then restore. So if you are restoring everything, what are the benefits of wiping the system?

Thanks

Tim
    03-30-09 02:43 PM
    If you are going with the vendor's approved OS, no need to.delete xml. I upgraded 3 BBs in the last week and didn't nrrd to wipe any of them first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 02:46 PM
    If the OS you are loading on your BB is from your carrier, you don't have to remove the vendor.xml file prior to doing the update.

Wiping the OS prior to updating is purely optional. Some feel wiping first gives a cleaner install. Wiping can certainly help in instances where the OS is corrupted, and you are reloading the same version. It usually isn't necessary when moving up in OS from 4.2 to 4.5 for example since all the core applications will be replaced with the upgraded files.
    03-30-09 02:49 PM
    If the OS you are loading on your BB is from your carrier, you don't have to remove the vendor.xml file prior to doing the update.
    Would there by any benefit to loading an OS from somewhere other than my carrier?

Tim
    03-30-09 03:11 PM
    Sure, updates to existing bugs, etc... Issues that are addressed prior to your carrier getting on board.
    03-30-09 03:13 PM
    Would there by any benefit to loading an OS from somewhere other than my carrier?

Tim
    Yes, but right now your carrier (Sprint) has the latest OS for the 8330.
    03-30-09 03:17 PM
    For instance my carrier used 4.5.0.55 for their official release. It was pretty buggy and lagged something fierce. So I upgraded to 4.5.0.124 which was not put out by my carrier but ran much smoother.

03-30-09 03:18 PM
    For instance my carrier used 4.5.0.55 for their official release. It was pretty buggy and lagged something fierce. So I upgraded to 4.5.0.124 which was not put out by my carrier but ran much smoother.

Makes Sense. So there is no danger of Sprint customizing the os to maybe block out some features, or add some of there own features?
    03-30-09 03:30 PM
    Makes Sense. So there is no danger of Sprint customizing the os to maybe block out some features, or add some of there own features?
    No. As mentioned OSs are device specific, not carrier specific. The carrier specific stuff you are referring to are sent in the service books to your BB. Service books are separate from the OS.
    03-30-09 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD