Well they have some time to work on a keyboard device. If they bring it out a year after the 9900 they should have plenty of time. I love my keyboard but might, thats a big might, switch to an all touch screen device. Playing around on the PlayBook is alright but if I want to do something quickly I switch to my Bold.

edit: yes I know a PB isn't too comparable to a touchscreen phone. I have played around with iPhones before and couldn't type anywhere near as good as my phone, nor did i like the feel of it.
    Last edited by eKafara; 10-23-11 at 05:56 AM. Reason: additions
    10-23-11 05:50 AM
    Question: Will there be a full keyboard QNX device released in 2102?
    Seems so pointless to ask, unless one of the responders works for RIM and has some inside dope, it's all pure speculation, and just guesses at best. I might guess at best that RIM considers the keyboard, as do most of us, one of their key selling points.....I believe only one RIM touchscreen had no keyboard, was offered by Verizon.....I have a Torch, which I really like as I get the full screen + the keyboard option.

So, as with all other rumored releases, we'll know when we know, and hope it is sooner than later. As to the comment on compatibility with PB, I might doubt that there will be a PB by that time, especially with the Kindle Fire coming out....and regardless, what 'compatibility' issue would there be with the BB having a keyboard and the PB not having one?????
    10-23-11 08:55 AM
    I believe only one RIM touchscreen had no keyboard, was offered by Verizon.
    There are 3* Verizon had the Storm 1 and Storm 2. A variety of carriers have the full touch torch 9850/9860

*4 if your count the full touch torched 9850 and 9860 as 2.
    10-23-11 08:59 AM
    There are 3* Verizon had the Storm 1 and Storm 2. A variety of carriers have the full touch torch 9850/9860

*4 if your count the full touch torched 9850 and 9860 as 2.
    Ah, always so glad to find someone that can find the one meaningless error in a post and comment on it....the point was made about keyboard....but thanks....and if you are going to count, I do think the Storm 1 &2 are essentially the same phone for all intensive purposes.

As many posters mentioned, the keyboard is what keeps them in the BB camp.....without it, at least for now, it certainly doesn't have many other compelling features over the competion. If an iPhone 4GS had physical keyboard RIM would be gone!
    10-23-11 02:32 PM
    You're welcome. I find it always better to correct erroneous information.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 03:19 PM
    intensive purposes
    intents and purposes
    10-23-11 05:38 PM
    Keyboard = less screen

Less screen = less apps and multimedia

As far as I see it, OS 7 will be the end of keyboards.
    Not a hope in **** that os7 will be the last Bold, there is zero chance that they will abandon what is by far their most popular of the premium form factors.

They have stated that the first qnx phone will be all touch, but you can be almost certain that we will see more models including a keyboard one.

One interesting option for a keyboard Bold would be to make it a few mm wider as then you could just about fit the screen from the torch if it was flipped on its side.
    10-25-11 05:21 AM
    Cant say I like the idea but what if it had a slide out landscape keypad like some of the Nokia's? Then you get your cake and,,...
    10-25-11 07:00 AM
    Ah, always so glad to find someone that can find the one meaningless error in a post and comment on it . . . for all intensive purposes.
    Please tell me that was intentional, for irony's sake. lol
    10-25-11 10:10 AM
    I agree fully with an earlier post. If Apple brought out a keyboard version of the iphone, RIM could just fold their tent and go. If RIM are foolish enough to think that they will still have any customers left if a QNX keyboard model takes a year to arrive, they may as well sell up right now, while the co-ceo's shares are still worth anything.

I think I'm waiting for a windows-based Nokia.......
    10-25-11 10:15 AM
    Cant say I like the idea but what if it had a slide out landscape keypad like some of the Nokia's? Then you get your cake and,,...
    The drawback to a landscape keyboard is that you end up with your best two keyboards on the device being in the same orientation whereas with a portrait slider you get the physical one in portrait where the virtual one is weakest and in landscape you have the virtual one where it is best suited.

Also, if you have a landscape slider then you cannot hold it and type comfortably one-handed either.
    10-26-11 05:01 AM
    There should be one with keypad. One of the reasons I'm not moving to other smartphones (I'm very tempted by iPhone 4S) is because the physical keypad. If only iPhone had exactly the same one...hmm....sweet...
    10-26-11 05:30 AM
    There should be one with keypad. One of the reasons I'm not moving to other smartphones (I'm very tempted by iPhone 4S) is because the physical keypad. If only iPhone had exactly the same one...hmm....sweet...
    iPhones are too screen centric to ever have a keypad... the interesting thing is that if you type alot on your phone, you essentially get a SMALLER screen on the iPhone than on a Bold because much of the iPhone screen is occupied with the (sucky, bad) keyboard!

I switched from a 9700 to a iPhone 4 and HATED it. Sold the iPhone 4 and moved back to a Torch and HATED it (because they flattened the 9700's keyboard, and because sliders, IMHO, stink as one-handed devices, and because the battery life was a joke).

I made the mistake of loitering in a Verizon store last week and the even bigger mistake of just typing my name on a 9930... instant, selfish, indulgent LOVE of that keyboard!

I think the perfect BB device would be the 99XX with an e-ink screen that only does calls, texts, BBM, and plain text emails, has incredible battery life (because of the screen...like the motofone F3 designed for developing countries), and bridges a (free) Playbook that has all of the bells and whistles...

If wishes were fishes...

Truthfully, I'd buy an Iraqi assphone off contract if it had the 99xx keyboard.

In all seriousness, the lack of a keyboard on the new QNX phone is a huge mistake. No quick keys, mini playbook, learning curve to use, iPhone wanna be (but never will be)... I could go on, but I won't.
    Last edited by Charlie_V; 10-27-11 at 12:30 AM.
    10-27-11 12:17 AM
    Not a hope in **** that os7 will be the last Bold, there is zero chance that they will abandon what is by far their most popular of the premium form factors.

They have stated that the first qnx phone will be all touch, but you can be almost certain that we will see more models including a keyboard one.

One interesting option for a keyboard Bold would be to make it a few mm wider as then you could just about fit the screen from the torch if it was flipped on its side.
    What they have stated, in subtext, is that the first QNX phone will be a mini-Playbook. Eeek, huge mistake. Epic fail for either the phone or the Playbook.

I don't really understand why RIM should be so concerned with "multimedia". Do people really buy Blackberries to watch movies? To play bigtime games? I don't think so; I don't think many people every did. Errr, I guess I am forgetting the Storm and Storm II.... and what huge successes they were.... :\
    Last edited by Charlie_V; 10-27-11 at 12:28 AM.
    10-27-11 12:23 AM
    What they have stated, in subtext, is that the first QNX phone will be a mini-Playbook. Eeek, huge mistake. Epic fail for either the phone or the Playbook.

I don't really understand why RIM should be so concerned with "multimedia". Do people really buy Blackberries to watch movies? To play bigtime games? I don't think so; I don't think many people every did. Errr, I guess I am forgetting the Storm and Storm II.... and what huge successes they were.... :\
    They're making a "mini PlayBook" first because it's easier to shrink the screen size, add phone chips, and write a phone application then it is to rewrite the entire OS for keyboard/super tiny screen use.
    10-27-11 09:02 AM
    I am holding out hope for a QNX (BBX) Bold. It is the only phone that will get me back to Blackberry. I tried the 9930 and loved the hardware and keyboard, but OS7 did nothing for me (browser and lack of Exchange being the two killers).

I think RIM is making a mistake by leading with an all touch phone as their launch phone for BBX. In my opinion, they will be launching a touch phone that more than likely will be behind the top Android and iPhone's already on the market. Why not differentiate with your strength?
    10-27-11 03:03 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD