After iPhone launching, Blackberry was anticipated to decline, but it is not. Blackberry is still the most desirable Smartphone currently.

If you say that QWERTY keypad is important, there are a lot of alternatives such as Samsung Jack, Epix, Palm Pre, or HTC dash.

If you say that Push email is needed, most of other smartphones support that by Microsoft Exchange(Direct push).

I really curious why the Blackberry is still demanded while there are lot of better(?) devices.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by bottomup32; 12-20-09 at 04:59 PM.
    12-20-09 04:46 PM
    Responding with a question, are the other devices really "better"?

Most decision makers will select the device they think provides the closest match to their needs - which suggests a lot think BlackBerry is better than the competition. I would expect some constant churn as some move away to other devices and some move in, but overall RIM seems to be maintaining a respectable performance.
    12-20-09 04:54 PM
    I'm wondering, too, why the other devices are "better" ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 04:59 PM
    I concur with Branta. Why is RIM outperforming analyst expectations? Because there's a demand for their devices. Whether that's corp/government or "consumer" demand is a bit unclear, but RIM seems to believe their growth has been, largely, i the "consumer" sector over the past 12 months.

I own BlackBerrys because they do precisely what I need to do, and they perform those tasks flawlessly and with little or no fuss. I have no need for 3D games, YouTube streaming, or torrent downloading. I do all that on my computers. I need my phone for a... phone. And for reliable push email. Texting, BBM, etc are all nice, too. Each individual, and each corporation, has its own needs. Presumably they make their decisions based on those defined needs.

Query: If there are so many "better" devices, why did RIM sell 10.2 million devices in 3Q09? Why was the Curve the best selling smart phone last quarter?
    12-20-09 05:03 PM
    After iPhone launching, Blackberry was anticipated to decline, but it is not. Blackberry is still the most desirable Smartphone currently.

If you say that QWERTY keypad is important, there are a lot of alternatives such as Samsung Jack, Epix, Palm Pre, or HTC dash.

I really curious why the Blackberry is still demanded while there are lot of better(?) devices.

Thank you in advance.
    Hummm, well not being one to jump from phone to phone just because a new one comes out, I can't really say why, other than, if it an't broke, why fix it?

Of the phones you listed....Samsung Jack, Epix, Palm Pre, or HTC dash, everyone I know that had one of those phones, has moved to another phone for one reason or another. The Dash I borrowed for a month, had to have the OS flashed several times with no 3rd party apps loaded, and still does from time to time, per it's owner.

As for better devices, just from reading different phone forums, it looks like they all have pros and cons, multiple returns on a single device, software/hardware problems, etc... so better is rather subjective. Now newer might be a better word to use.

So for me, until something comes along that my carrier offers, that has something I might want or need at that time, I'll stick with what is working for me so far. And there are a few out there that I would not mind trying out, but they either are not on my carrier, or not made for the US market yet.
    12-20-09 05:20 PM
    I own BlackBerrys because they do precisely what I need to do, and they perform those tasks flawlessly and with little or no fuss. I have no need for 3D games, YouTube streaming, or torrent downloading. I do all that on my computers. I need my phone for a... phone. And for reliable push email. Texting, BBM, etc are all nice, too. Each individual, and each corporation, has its own needs. Presumably they make their decisions based on those defined needs.
    +1

I did not own a smartphone prior to last August. I received my first and current device from my sister who works for Sprint as a temp until the HTC TP2 that I was hot and heavy for was to come out. Suffice it to say, the only way that you will get my blackberry is to pry it from my cold, dead, left hand. I had mine for only a month before my wife decided to switch her Samsung Exclaim out for a BB. My only dilemma now is deciding between the Curve 8350 or the Tour2 as the poor Nextel reception in my area will have me jump to the Sprint side.
    12-20-09 05:23 PM
    I stay with BB because RIM offers the best combination of function, style, price, and availibility out there. Not to mention the 9000 has been very reliable in my hands. I cannot imagine going anywhere else in the foreseeable future.

12-20-09 05:27 PM
    cuz i dont need to touch everything like an iphone
    12-20-09 05:45 PM
    you either like the os on bb's or you don't. i tried sgh t719 and shadow but came back to bb. i had the 7105t which was an awesome phone... now the 9700 has everything i could want.
    12-20-09 06:03 PM
    I concur with Branta. Why is RIM outperforming analyst expectations? Because there's a demand for their devices. Whether that's corp/government or "consumer" demand is a bit unclear, but RIM seems to believe their growth has been, largely, i the "consumer" sector over the past 12 months.

Query: If there are so many "better" devices, why did RIM sell 10.2 million devices in 3Q09? Why was the Curve the best selling smart phone last quarter?
    This is why- - if you want a phone that has an stable os and most of the time flawless email then you get a blackberr. if you want a toy to play games- get the ipod touch as well
    12-20-09 06:10 PM
    ^^ Yup, they were rhetorical questions
    12-20-09 06:20 PM
    I love BB because they combine style and function very well. I think that BBs look amazing and although they have the occasional outage, I still think they're very reliable. I also prefer the os to others like palm or winmo. Every argument that I could make in support of these phones, someone could make for other phones as well. I think that it ultimately all boils down to what you- the consumer- likes best. I just like RIM better.
    12-20-09 06:32 PM
    I originally got the Storm 1 instead of an iPhone because I wanted to stay with Verizon. At first I found it hard to use. After I got used to where everything was and after it got a bit faster with OS 5 I have really come to like it. I think BBs are very efficient, stable and reliable. (I also hear that they have the best keyboards from my other BB friends.) Their biggest drawback is that they have a steeper learning curve and not as many apps. Given RIM's recent good financial results, I suspect that many folks are willing to learn in order to get the good platform for mostly communication and PDA features.
    12-20-09 06:58 PM
    Battery Life! Find me another smartphone with equal or better battery life and the simplicity of BB OS and am gone.

LOL I was in Best Buy yesterday and I look over at the iphone display and customers using the display model's charger to charge there own iphone. To funny.
    12-20-09 07:54 PM
    So where did the OP go? Lol

12-20-09 08:05 PM
    BB's are real bussiness performers, as well as all the other things grown men like ,pretty,smooth,sleek,soft and sultry,mean tough no bs just the facts for ever and always BB
    12-20-09 08:07 PM
    So far, I've stuck with Blackberry cause they've been the best devices on the Verizon network for what I want to do. Now that everyone I know has one, I'm sick of them lol Next upgrade, I may not be eligible to answer your question.
    12-20-09 08:09 PM
    I just like mine! It's handy, good looking, and totally functional, so I see no need for change.
    12-20-09 08:16 PM
    For me, I think it has a lot to do with "brand loyalty", I know it's not objective, maybe that's another reason it;s called crack
    12-20-09 09:20 PM

If you say that Push email is needed, most of other smartphones support that by Microsoft Exchange(Direct push).

Thank you in advance.
    This is such a lame thing to say; why would anyone stick with anything since new things are always coming out?

Its called brand loyalty, even if Blackberry, is the worst smartphone out there, people will stick to it out of loyalty, not blind loyalty, but good loyalty.

My computer, car, shoes, printer, they work...they cause me little problems, so I stick with them. If it aint broken, don't fix it. If its not flawed, why upgrade or make a change?

As said before, I have no need for 3D games, in fact I have a Nintendo DS for portable gaming that I dont use much at all, if I were to spend a lot of time gaming, I would use a more powerful system...such as a gaming console.

When it comes to apps for chatting, texting and email are my main feats. I have no need to talk to someone on Facebook chat, when I could just text them, or do so on my computer.

I stay with Blackberry because first and foremost its a great phone, and then all the personal stuff it helps me as well.

The reason I have switched to Blackberry, from other phones, is because they have caused me problems time and time again. Also, Blackberry updates their phones a lot, as do I about once a year. I went from the ATT Tilt, to the Curve(downgrade in tech, but upgrade in quality) then to the Bold, and now, I will get a storm next or a Bold 2.
    12-20-09 09:31 PM
    I actually fought getting a Blackberry - thought it was useless and expensive. The only reason I got one is because I had to file an insurance claim on my Palm Treo 650 and the only option they gave me was a Blackberry 8310. Since then I've upgraded a couple of times and now have a 9700. Where do I start?

A stable OS. Intuitive use. The BEST keyboards. Push e-mail that really works. Trackpad - wow. A beautiful form factor. Great battery life. All of this works together great. Other phones may have one or two of these elements but not all.

To be fair, the bb os really NEEDS to have it's web browser updated - although Opera Mini makes up for it somewhat.

Windows Mobile - horrible; Palm Web OS - still too new; Android - shows promise, but if you don't have gmail, the e-mail is not push; BB OS 5.0 - great, stable

In short - the Blackberry phones are the best for my business (small business owner) and personal needs - and they look great too.
    12-20-09 10:11 PM
    I guess I've stuck with it because I'm a moron.
    12-20-09 10:15 PM
    Personally the perfect blend of performance, email/messaging capabilities, and style keeps me hooked and coming back for more. This truly is an addiction!!!
    12-20-09 10:17 PM
    So where did the OP go? Lol

Good point! BB addicts do not need to listen to others about why they stick with their devices because...we already know!
    12-20-09 10:19 PM
    I feel in love with the BlackBerry when I got my 8330 and now I have the 9630 and its (in my opinion) the best phone Sprint has to offer.
    12-20-09 11:05 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD