Ex BB user currently with an IPhone 4S.

Just wondering what BB10 will offer and want to make users come back?

Please don't say because "I hate Apple or Google".

Cheers
    10-04-12 10:55 AM
    BB security, awesome keyboards besides that nothing gestures based interface, other then that nothing it will keep them relevant in todays market.

if you want to come back then come back, BB10 will be great, if not then don't
    10-04-12 10:59 AM
    We can't sell BlackBerry for you...depends if it fits your needs.
    10-04-12 11:12 AM
    if theres one thing that i hate about android and iphone, its that browser keeps on refreshing if i leave the app for some time. which is a pain if youre using a slow connection, and multiple tabs. unlike bb10 (qnx,playbook os) true multitasking is offered.
    Balti43 likes this.
    10-04-12 11:31 AM
    Depending on what's important to you, here are some considerations...

- NFC (near field communication - think mobile wallet & instant data sharing)
    - Better high res screen
    - Maps that work
    - Web browser with the highest HTML5 compliance score
    - a track record that respects humane working conditions
    - Philanthropy (Apple has none, Google does, but many of the companies that sell Android phones do not)
    - Best security on the planet
    - Arguably the most intuitive user interface (with one hand usage)
    - The newest operating system which can pull the most out of a processor
    - If the Playbook is any indication - it will also be excellent for gaming

Only things I'm still hoping to see, which are not deal breakers but would be nice to haves are Skype, Netflix & a native Amazon app. For me the others are more important.

To be clear, with BB10 you do get all of the above and it is the only phone/platform that does give you 'all' of the above. Yes, absolutely lots of phones have NFC - but Apple does not, yes lots of phones have hi-res displays, but again the BB10 display is higher than Apple's and many other phones, they all have some level of security - but Blackberry offers the best security. As for working conditions RIM does not use Chinese factories, and yes that does matter because they should not be expected to monitor everybodies factories - here's their policy: http://www.rim.com/company/corporate...plyChain.shtml
    Apple also killed all philanthropy programs - last I checked they are still dead. Samsung does do philanthropy, as does Google, so my point was not to say none of them do anything - just RIM does all of it. As for RIM employees losing their jobs, yahh, that sucks - but it's better 5000 of them than all of them - that's the unfortunate reality of business and the results of making some poor decisions in the past - I would say they're doing what they can to correct past errors. Again, no phone will be perfect, but BB10 does offer all of the above - Android does not have the security and last I heard RIM is still the only one to get U.S.A. fips certification for phones and the playbook. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Kekus; 10-05-12 at 07:03 PM. Reason: to address comments posted below...
    Thunderbuck and Xopher like this.
    10-04-12 11:35 AM

- Better high res screen
    - Maps that work
    - Philanthropy (Apple has none, Google does, but many of the companies that sell Android phones do not)

Only things I'm still hoping to see, which are not deal breakers but would be nice to haves are Skype, Netflix & a native Amazon app. For me the others are more important.
    ^^^^ All of the above (nice list).

I'd add that the the UI is very much focused on messaging and sharing in a way that Apple and Google haven't done.
    10-04-12 11:47 AM

- Better high res screen
    - Maps that work

A lot of what you write is propaganda. Are you really willing to stand by your opinions as empirical fact? You are sure Android OEMs do not give to charity? Which ones? Apple doesn't give? I thought Tommy fixed that.

You really want to talk about humane working conditions? The last time that was dredged up, a lot of people reluctantly removed the halo for RIM (and other corporations).
    waker, richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    10-04-12 11:57 AM
    For me, it would be the gesture based interface that allows me to go from this app to the next.

I feel iphone and android are more "button" based than bb10, aka need to precisely click on a button to make things work.
    Balti43 likes this.
    10-04-12 11:59 AM
    if theres one thing that i hate about android and iphone, its that browser keeps on refreshing if i leave the app for some time. which is a pain if youre using a slow connection, and multiple tabs. unlike bb10 (qnx,playbook os) true multitasking is offered.
    Explain... I don't see this. I might be looking at this wrong.
    10-04-12 12:00 PM

- Better high res screen
    - Maps that work

Unified messaging
    Bridge with tablet
    Best developer tools
    Better performance (proven by ports)
    Qnx legendary stability (my playbook running 2-5 hrs a day 1 year without even blip)
    BB native apps and android apps
    Phone selection (unlike 1 pathetic iphone per year)
    BBM!!!
    10-04-12 12:12 PM

A report in 2011 by Chinalaborwatch.org gives Quanta, the company responsible for making the Playbook, a score of 26. Foxconn, who makes iPhones, scored 29 and 34. Higher scores are better. Foxconn Longhua actually scores the highest among contract manufacturers in China. I actually visited the Longhua facility, it's one of the best manufacturing facilities I've seen, and I've seen quite a few. A writer for Cnet once commented during her report on conditions at Foxconn that Foxconn may very well represent the best of labor conditions in China, the problem is that labor conditions in China basically sucks.

Tragedies of Globalization: The Truth Behind Electronics Sweatshops-Electronics
    richardat likes this.
    10-04-12 12:25 PM
    Phone selection
    Come again? Oh... you mean eventually. Got you.

A report in 2011 by Chinalaborwatch.org gives Quanta, the company responsible for making the Playbook, a score of 26. Foxconn, who makes iPhones, scored 29 and 34. Higher scores are better. Foxconn Longhua actually scores the highest among contract manufacturers in China. I actually visited the Longhua facility, it's one of the best manufacturing facilities I've seen, and I've seen quite a few. A writer for Cnet once commented during her report on conditions at Foxconn that Foxconn may very well represent the best of labor conditions in China, the problem is that labor conditions in China basically sucks.

Tragedies of Globalization: The Truth Behind Electronics Sweatshops-Electronics
    LOL. The high horse he built was fairly hilarious.
    10-04-12 12:30 PM
    Ex BB user currently with an IPhone 4S.

Just wondering what BB10 will offer and want to make users come back?
    A free unicorn.
    10-04-12 12:49 PM

- Better high res screen
    - Maps that work
    I'm not an Android user yet, but doesn't the platform offer all three of the above already?
    sashlon likes this.
    10-04-12 12:50 PM
    Blackberry Balance. The ability to have more then one secure profile for different tasks on one device. No one else does this native to the OS like that

BlackBerry Hub. Only thing close is the people hub in Windows Phone and BlackBerry of course goes further with integration with more apps and puts all the relevant user information in one place.

Real time multi-tasking better then any other platform in the world.

As an iPhone user, you should know that many of the features in iOS have been borrowed from features that have been found in BlackBerry OS for years. So not only will you get to experience many of the features you love in iOS done right by the company that introduced them to the world in the first place, but you will also get a fresh new UI built on a rock solid foundation.

The apps will come and the core out of the box app experience looks to be second to none with best in class social, and content creation and editing apps. Give it a try when it hits stores and I think you'll be impressed. Don't worry, RIM is not Palm and BB 10 will launch on many carriers all over the world. RIM may be down, but they are no where near out.
    10-04-12 01:02 PM

- Better high res screen
    - Maps that work

-Android and Windows Phone both have NFC, mobile wallet, and data sharing capabilites.

-All of the high end android, ios, and windows phones all have high-res displays.

-Google Maps and Nokia Maps are highly regarded. ios maps seem to be good for the basic things and is being worked on.

-While that is true rim hasn't really shown any real world applications of this yet unlike Google (google web apps) and microsoft (partnering with other services to make web apps).

-really doesn't reflect on the device itself but that's good I guess.

-also good I guess. Johnny Ives is designing a leica camera for charity.

-that's a plus but it seems a lot of people are ignoring that and windows phone 8 is looking to have good security features.

-subjective as well. I do agree that its slick as well.

-Could be the same for any other operating system.

-The playbook would probably be the oppsite of this. It lags behind the other OSs in terms of games and they they don't have first party developers to make up for a shortage of games like microsoft.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-04-12 01:15 PM
    Well, hard to say in a period when any phone can basically do the same things, with +/- ease ,+/- power, +/- sexiness ...
    Nothing but something new will drag my 9900 out of my hand; I've tried them "all" (no one can), it's just that my Bold + PB is what I've found to be the best combo for my needs.

Now, I have a DevAlpha (A - for developing purposes) and every day I find it more attractive, while far from polished in its current state (device+OS). So what can it be ?
    Well, a brand new way to use it. Don't care if it's called "flow, peek, hub" or if it demonstrates what (real) multitasking is.
    It's new and not only new; it's new and it's freaking easy, fun and efficient. Don't ask why; you must hold it and try.

Oh ... and I do hate Apple Corp.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-04-12 at 01:48 PM.
    10-04-12 01:44 PM
    A report in 2011 by Chinalaborwatch.org gives Quanta, the company responsible for making the Playbook, a score of 26. ... [/url]
    Actually, that score and study is irrelevant to the claim made above, since the PlayBook was/is manufactured in Taiwan, not in China. That report covers labor conditions and labor law in China. Conditions are quite different in Taiwan. As far as I know, RIM has never used Chinese manufacturers. Sure, some components come from China, but as far as I know the most expensive components (screen, processor, memory) are not manufactured in China.

LOL. The high horse he built was fairly hilarious.
    Yes, I'm certain that we are all still laughing ... at something.
    10-04-12 01:50 PM
    Actually, that score and study is irrelevant to the claim made above, since the PlayBook was/is manufactured in Taiwan, not in China. That report covers labor conditions and labor law in China. Conditions are quite different in Taiwan. As far as I know, RIM has never used Chinese manufacturers. Sure, some components come from China, but as far as I know the most expensive components (screen, processor, memory) are not manufactured in China.

Yes, I'm certain that we are all still laughing ... at something.
    Okay, so RIM bears a smaller ethical responsibility because the more expensive parts are made in the worker's nirvana of Taiwan? Interesting. So RIM is failing at ethical manufacturing processes, but is failing less than Apple?

I'm sure we can all at least smile to bed, as long as we can sleep with the ethical decisions we make with regards to what electronics we buy.
    10-04-12 02:04 PM
    Well, hard to say in a period when any phone can basically do the same things, with +/- ease ,+/- power, +/- sexiness ...
    Nothing but something new will drag my 9900 out of my hand; I've tried them "all" (no one can), it's just that my Bold + PB is what I've found to be the best combo for my needs.

Now, I have a DevAlpha (A - for developing purposes) and every day I find it more attractive, while far from polished in its current state (device+OS). So what can it be ?
    Well, a brand new way to use it. Don't care if it's called "flow, peek, hub" or if it demonstrates what (real) multitasking is.
    It's new and not only new; it's new and it's freaking easy, fun and efficient. Don't ask why; you must hold it and try.

Oh ... and I do hate Apple Corp.
    I can get with this. I think RIM has to convey this idea: what we have can be the best for you (the consumer).

Inflated boasts invoke crickets.

BB Salesperson: BB10 will blow all other OSes out of the water!
    Customer: But can I do x, y and z like my sister can on her platform?

RIM's first challenge is to get those alphabet letters available, and then convince people they should give it a try. BBM... security... content. Use what you got, and build on it.

But finding product evangelists may be a great idea. People who can make a rational discussion, and can talk about platforms without mentioning about sheep.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-04-12 02:10 PM
    It's actually quite relevant. The original statement was as follows:

"- a track record that respects humane working conditions"

Now, if you're doing business with the devil, does it matter which part of he11 he's making your computer? You can say he's making it at the nice part of he11 so it's okay, but I beg to differ.

What you're saying is Quanta harms Chinese workers, but they don't harm any Taiwanese (although Taiwanese workers might disagree since they all got fired after RIM cut its orders), so it's morally okay if we only order stuff they only make in Taiwan. That just absurd on the face of it. That's similar to saying, "he only beats one of his kids, so he's a not really a child beater, only part time, so let's hire him for the day care job anyway."

If indeed "human working conditions" are something of import to RIM, they would NOT source their product from a company like Quanta, who by almost all measures, treats their Chinese workers worse than Foxconn. To say it's ok because the product is made somewhere else is just ridiculous because the profits still go to the devil. Finally, the reason RIM requested the Playbook be made in Taiwan was not because of some kind of moral dilemma about work conditions in China, it was because they feared it would be knocked off. http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110920PD212.html

In the real world though, nobody cares. I've seen more than my share of Chinese factories, and you know what? They don't care either. Right now, China's in the middle of a holiday week, 600 million people are travelling and factories are empty. When the holiday is over, they'll all go back to their jobs.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-04-12 at 02:22 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    10-04-12 02:15 PM
    A free unicorn.
    But... but... I thought we were promised ponies!!! *cries*
    10-04-12 02:21 PM
    -Bbm
    -Qwerty keyboard
    -Best OS on a mobile phone (to me)
    -NFC
    -Open system -Not locked compare to iOS
    10-04-12 02:57 PM
    Fast Desktop Software and TRACKPAD
    10-04-12 03:12 PM
    well after updating PB version 2.1 and Blackberry Bridge on our BB phones. Beeing able to view/recieve/send sms text using PB is one BOLD moved. So I would say one of a key feature for BB10 to offer against A&A. ( crossing fingers ) is to be able to Answer/make calls using Playbook. I believe this is possible for RIM to create. ( so who needs Galaxy Note, anyway?? ) but really I hope this would come true.
    10-04-12 03:26 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD