Been thinking of adding this app to my phone, but before I do, wanted to find out if there was a way to disable the feature from my phone anytime I wanted to, if for example, I didn't want to be able to be tracked for a period of time, or is it that once you install it, you are always trackable?

Also, does the application use up your battery faster or use up a lot of free memory? Thanks in advance.
    08-18-08 09:43 AM
    What exactly does this app do? If it has anything to do with GPS, it will drain the h*ll out of your battery. That I can tell ya.
    08-18-08 09:44 AM
    What exactly does this app do? If it has anything to do with GPS, it will drain the h*ll out of your battery. That I can tell ya.
    The silver lining to the disabled internal GPS cloud: using an external GPS doesn't drain your BlackBerry battery, except for the additional bluetooth usage...
    08-18-08 09:47 AM
    Good morning, Mr. Jeff.

Hmm. Really. Is GoogleMaps not considered external GPS of some sort? I know it functions primarily off cell tower triangulations, but let me tell you that app KILLED my battery in a matter of a few hours.
    08-18-08 09:49 AM
    Question: I know the gps is always on in my fone....but does turning my fone off disable the gps? Or do you have to COMPLETLEY remove the battery to be "off the grid?"
    08-18-08 09:51 AM
    Good morning, Mr. Jeff.

Hmm. Really. Is GoogleMaps not considered external GPS of some sort? I know it functions primarily off cell tower triangulations, but let me tell you that app KILLED my battery in a matter of a few hours.
    I have googlemaps on my phone, but my battery doesn't die after only a few hours. Does it only do that if you don't close out of it?
    08-18-08 09:58 AM
    Good morning, Mr. Jeff.

Question: I know the gps is always on in my fone....but does turning my fone off disable the gps? Or do you have to COMPLETLEY remove the battery to be "off the grid?"
    Good Morning, Ms. Jenay...I don't consider Google Maps MyLocation to be a GPS, but I'm not surprised it would drain your battery if you were moving, just because it would be downloading maps often. Data down loading would be an issue with my external GPS as well.

Styln: turning off your phone will disable your GPS. It isn't necessary to remove the battery.
    08-18-08 10:00 AM
    Can't you just go to options-advanced options-gps-location services and location aiding off to be gps free? Btw, what does location aiding do? Is that the cell tower location thing? Also, I use live search gps a lot, and it really doesn't kill my battery at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 10:14 AM
    Thx 4 the quik reply!
    08-18-08 10:16 AM
    "Location Off" on some phone models corresponds to "911 only" on others. In both cases, your phone is still broadcasting your location to emergency services. If you want to truly disappear, you have to turn the phone off.

Since I don't have a functioning internal GPS, I can't be sure what Location On does. I can surmise that it provides your location data to 3rd party apps, but I don't know for sure.
    08-18-08 10:19 AM
    that's what I thought. My dad works for the DA office and can track any phone if its on. Kind of cool if you ask me. I think the op is just wondering if you can turn gps off so people can't track you that way. Right?

08-18-08 10:28 AM
    that's what I thought. My dad works for the DA office and can track any phone if its on. Kind of cool if you ask me. I think the op is just wondering if you can turn gps off so people can't track you that way. Right?

Well, actually, I was asking about an application called Blackberry Tracker that you can download to your phone, and then it allows others to be able to see where you are from their computer.

Blackberry GPS Tracker - Home
    08-18-08 10:44 AM

Well thats what I wanted 2 know....thx!
    08-18-08 10:49 AM
    your welcome. But to the op, you want to disable the gps when you don't want to be seen right? If that's so, look in the options of your app or do the gps thing that I mentioned. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

08-18-08 11:06 AM
    Is this the Blackberry Locator the guy in my post was talking about?
    08-18-08 11:49 AM
    Is this the Blackberry Locator the guy in my post was talking about?
    I have this one also, but the one I was talking about is called "GetitBack".

Dm
    08-18-08 12:05 PM
    Good afternoon,

I just purchased and downloaded the file from mrxsystem's site, but it keeps telling me it isn't compatible with my Bold. I've e-mailed support a few times, but not getting anything back.

I am assuming I have an incorrect file, even though I went through and selected my Bold 9000.

Can someone help me out? Maybe someone who has downloaded this on the their Bold has the correct file?

Some other advice?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brad
    10-26-09 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD