I've been trying to find out if there's a 3rd-party util to do the following, but having no luck. Time to ask.

I know you can press and hold a key to get upper-case. On my previous platform (PalmOS) I had a util that would let me double-press a key to get the alt value for that key. This can be a lot quicker once you get used to it.

So, is there such a utility or option available for the BB platform? I'm expecting to end up with a 9700.

Thank you.
    11-12-09 11:09 AM
    Refer to the typing shortcuts found here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 11:45 AM
    Refer to the typing shortcuts found here.
    Maybe I'm blind. I found that list of tips and hints earlier. It doesn't appear to contain what I'm looking for.

To type the alternate character on a key, press the Alt key and the character key.

What I'm looking for is "to type the alternate character on a key, press the key twice quickly". I'm not looking to move my left typing finger down to the Alt button and use it as a meta key. I'm looking to avoid the meta key entirely just as you can the Shift key by doing a press & hold. I want to press S twice quickly to get a 4, and Q twice quickly to get a #, for instance.

Thanks for trying though. And if I am blind and what I'm looking for is in that tip, please just call me names.
    11-12-09 04:59 PM
    The best you might be able to do is use AUTOTEXT to convert to the Alt-character.

For instance, I have autotext to change "n-SPACE" to the comma (in autotext is really is just the N that is converted. But if I type n and then the space character, it backspaces and replaces the N with a COMMA. I have V alone do the Question Mark. By they way, these work in certain locations/apps but not all. It would be more complex to convert to numbers since you might want a single digit and the same with the A letter. "I" automatically becomes the uppercase.
    11-12-09 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD