Hi,

I am currently in the market for a new smartphone and had my eye on the Bold 9700 with Bell. Normally, I would have just grabbed the phone right away since it would be my first smartphone, but I hesitate for the following reason.

I have read numerous reviews, and the general consensus is that the phone is great, but the BlackBerry browser lags far behind the competition. I feel that there is a big market push in general towards everything internet on these smartphones and I don't want to be left wishing for another phone with better internet capabilities if BlackBerry does not make changes to their browsing.

If I were to purchase the phone, and major overhauls were made to the browser, would I be stuck with the older version, or would it be as simple as updating my phone's OS?

I don't know if I phrased that right (my knowledge of the proper terminology is limited), so I'll try to put it another way...can I just update my new phone with the "old" browser to the "new" browser by downloading an update put out by BlackBerry much like could be done with say a browser on a PC? Or would such an update only appear in new phones and not be available to ones already purchased?

Thank you for your help!

-Robert
    11-27-09 05:01 PM
    Do not worry about the browser. As it is the browser is decent and with a few tweaks can handle most websites fine. True, it is not as good as Safari on the iPhone, but there are alternative options you can use like Opera Mini and BOLT, both of which are very good. RIM recently acquired Torch Mobile, who makes a Webkit browser and this can only mean a new browser component to come. Free of charge as a software update, don't sweat. I say get the BlackBerry if you feel you want it and it provides everything you need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 05:11 PM
    You should go to the store and test out the browser and see if it is something you can work with.
    11-27-09 05:13 PM
    Hi,

I am currently in the market for a new smartphone and had my eye on the Bold 9700 with Bell. Normally, I would have just grabbed the phone right away since it would be my first smartphone, but I hesitate for the following reason.

I have read numerous reviews, and the general consensus is that the phone is great, but the BlackBerry browser lags far behind the competition. I feel that there is a big market push in general towards everything internet on these smartphones and I don't want to be left wishing for another phone with better internet capabilities if BlackBerry does not make changes to their browsing.

If I were to purchase the phone, and major overhauls were made to the browser, would I be stuck with the older version, or would it be as simple as updating my phone's OS?

I don't know if I phrased that right (my knowledge of the proper terminology is limited), so I'll try to put it another way...can I just update my new phone with the "old" browser to the "new" browser by downloading an update put out by BlackBerry much like could be done with say a browser on a PC? Or would such an update only appear in new phones and not be available to ones already purchased?

Thank you for your help!

-Robert
    If your primary use is entertainment (videos, music, pictures, web browsing, etc) then I think there are better phones out there for that. The web browser on the BlackBerry is not easy to navigate using the trackball/trackpad.
    11-27-09 05:29 PM
    I was able to try out the browser at a Bell store. Unfortunately you only get to play with it for a few minutes before someone else wants to try it.

My concern was more with if a new browser comes out if I could simply download it to the phone as an update.
    11-27-09 05:29 PM

My concern was more with if a new browser comes out if I could simply download it to the phone as an update.
    The simple answer is yes.
    11-27-09 05:32 PM
    How do I download Bolt as Browser for my Storm2?
    11-27-09 07:35 PM
    How do I download Bolt as Browser for my Storm2?
    I can't post links yet cause of my post count, but you get the idea...

boltbrowser(dot)com
    11-27-09 07:50 PM
    Thx much working on it now
    11-27-09 08:56 PM
    Bolt does so many more things than the stock browser does. Although the browser on the S2 seems somewhat more powerful than the first storm.
    11-27-09 09:00 PM
    you can always use OPERA Mini or BOLT.
    11-28-09 06:08 AM
    you can always use OPERA Mini or BOLT.
    i have been using opera mini on my last three phones. best mobile browser ive ever used. not too much on it that u cant do.
    11-28-09 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD