So I'm just curious what people think here. I'll be the first one to say it. I'm an iPhone user but started with BlackBerry Legacy devices and ran through the 950 Pager, 7120, Pearls, Curves, Torches, Tours, Bolds, Z10, Q10, Z30, Passports, Classic, and even a P'9983 Porsche Graphite. Tried the PRIV but wasn't for me. So I'm certainly no troll. However, I think people may find the line between what is a BlackBerry device and what is not to be different. And I'm curious where the line is drawn.

So in my opinion the PRIV really is the last true BlackBerry, Android OS or not. It's the last time someone can ask, "What kind of phone is that?" and you can respond "It's a BlackBerry". Because it's the last device where the hardware was made by BlackBerry and the software that was made by BlackBerry was put on the device by BlackBerry (i.e. not a device manufactured by a different company with some BlackBerry software added, see below).

If you have a DTEK50 or even get the DTEK60 and the same question is asked, can you really say it's a BlackBerry? Are they BlackBerry's? I'm just posing the question. To some it's irrelevant, but to others I think it might be somewhat thought provoking. I mean, if I had a Samsung with iOS on it, it wouldn't be an iPhone, right? I know it'll never happen but Android is used by a handful of manufacturers so make the mental leap to see where I'm going with the idea.

I guess what I'm asking is what to those of you on CrackBerry, what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry? And if you can answer that, at what point are you still using a BlackBerry or just using a device with BlackBerry software on it? Wow, who would even read this...as i say to myself, "If it takes this long to ask a question, what are you even asking?"
    Aman Darred likes this.
    10-04-16 09:09 PM
    At one time BlackBerry did actually do some manufacturing but those days are long gone. BlackBerry didn't make the Priv, they designed it, much like other Android brands do.

If BlackBerry does release the Mercury it will be a BlackBerry as far as I'm concerned.
    10-04-16 09:32 PM
    At one time BlackBerry did actually do some manufacturing but those days are long gone. BlackBerry didn't make the Priv, they designed it, much like other Android brands do.

If BlackBerry does release the Mercury it will be a BlackBerry as far as I'm concerned.
    As far as I remember they had a small facility for prototypes and limited production runs (certain carrier models), nothing for mass production. "Made in Canada" on a legacy device probably meant the now-shuttered Celestica plant in Toronto.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-04-16 10:05 PM
    To me BlackBerry means quality in both hardware and software. But now that BlackBerry has exited designing hardware, I'm not so sure future devices will be qualitatively great in both hardware and software.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    cdnrower likes this.
    10-05-16 03:42 AM
    Are you REALLY asking a question like that?

You sure know how to grad attention with a headline like that!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-05-16 04:06 AM
    Are you REALLY asking a question like that?

You sure know how to grad attention with a headline like that!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I guess that's why it took so long to formulate my question, or lack there of. I actually pulled the trigger on the DTEK50 just late last night. Whether it's truly a BlackBerry or not, doesn't matter to me, it's the functionality, communication, software, apps, and security I care about. But there was a time where I admit where having a "BlackBerry" was important to me. Probably ended with the Classic and losing a lot of app functionality. I always seemed to go back to BlackBerry. To me, I don't 100% feel like I'm going back to BlackBerry. I guess that was kind of what I was getting at?
    10-05-16 07:59 AM
    I am, I mean currently I'm using a passport I have a priv ready to come into service in January and I still mess about with a curve when I'm going nearly incommunicado. My other half will shortly be using a dtek50 and I would say that is still a blackberry too. The future tho, I don't know.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 08:52 AM
    If it's a smartphone and it was built in 2017 or later then it's not a BlackBerry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 09:09 AM
    As far as I remember they had a small facility for prototypes and limited production runs (certain carrier models), nothing for mass production. "Made in Canada" on a legacy device probably meant the now-shuttered Celestica plant in Toronto.
    made in waterloo. some claim the re-sale value was a bit higher than others.
    10-05-16 11:01 AM
    ... Whether it's truly a BlackBerry or not, doesn't matter to me, it's the functionality, communication, software, apps, and security I care about. ...
    Exactly.
    10-05-16 04:16 PM
    If the mercury eventuates, I will more than likely get one for nostalgic reasons. May it be lower specced than current offerings.

Sent from mTalk on Win 10 PC
    10-05-16 04:20 PM
    If the mercury eventuates, I will more than likely get one for nostalgic reasons. May it be lower specced than current offerings.
    It should at least be a step up from my Q5.
    10-05-16 04:32 PM
    Well, I see where you are coming from, but I guess if it's still branded a blackberry it's a blackberry. I mean android may not be a blackberry os but neither were qnx microkernels before blackberry acquired it . But we adopted bb10 and made it the replacement for bbos, I know it is a little different with android because Google controls the base os, but even deeper it's a Linux kernel. Not much different than the Unix-like kernels used by qnx. If blackberry tailors it to be more their own software, especially in the security aspect I can still call those android devices "blackberries"

Via the Classy Classic
    10-05-16 07:08 PM
    Sorry for my rant the classic keypad makes me ramble on just because of the pure joy of typing on it..... come to think of it. I really enjoy typing on BlackBerry's virtual keyboard just as much or more...... and it happened again

Damn joys of typing on a BlackBerry

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    anon(9733642) likes this.
    10-05-16 07:11 PM
    Yes- Classic, Passport and DTEK50. All very good respectively.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    10-05-16 07:35 PM
    It's a blandroid to me. Lol
    10-05-16 10:16 PM
    The best part about this question is that there's no right or wrong answer. That said, to me a BlackBerry is a BlackBerry when it's designed by BlackBerry and running a core BlackBerry OS. For example: A BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition is a BlackBerry. A BlackBerry Priv however, is a BlackBerry-branded device running Android with BlackBerry services. A controversial answer perhaps, but again, no right or wrong answer. Just how people feel.
    10-05-16 10:42 PM
    Hi OP how was the Dtek50 you stated on Aug 18 you had ready to set up? Did it not work out for you?

Question: But Are You Really Still Using a BlackBerry?-img_20161005_235100.png

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 10:51 PM
    I personally will buy the dtek60 and proudly say it's a BlackBerry. No different then the fact pixel was made by HTC. For me I am not one to care if the phone was rebranded. As long ad the quality is good, feels good in the hands and I get my hub. Also looking at the Dtek60 and the tcl950 I am actually liking the deign more than the iPhone or pixel. Just my opinion. The edges look sleek, phone has cool looking speakers.

If I purchased a Samsung or LG I would say the same... 'hey guys look at my samsung'.. so I will say hey guys look at my BlackBerry dtek 60.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    Last edited by Adif_701; 10-05-16 at 11:07 PM.
    10-05-16 10:55 PM
    Bla1ze, a BlackBerry DTEK is a BlackBerry branded device almost entirely designed by another company but a BlackBerry PRIV is a BlackBerry designed device. Maybe the Mercury will be something in between.
    10-05-16 10:56 PM
    In the beginning there was Blackberry, then came Android. And a Blackberry Android is just another android (not another Blackberry), no matter how you sugar coat it ....
    10-05-16 11:02 PM
    ^ ok another question would be do you feel a samsung is just another android device?

Title should be Changed to less inflammatory. ... "reasons you are still with BlackBerry "

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 11:04 PM
    Hey OP. Not to be picky but on another thread you now say your dtek 50 is coming (posted 7hrs ago). Please change title of thread to something more acceptable considering you have one on the way.

Question: But Are You Really Still Using a BlackBerry?-img_20161006_001130.png

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 11:12 PM
    I remember a while ago I had a BlackBerry 9900 that I found in a second hand store. I loved that thing and I would honestly still be using it if it wasn't becoming unbearable to see all these modern advances in tech, and instead of a newer BlackBerry, I settled for an Android. Still miss the serious nature of BlackBerrys
    10-05-16 11:23 PM
    Hey OP. Not to be picky but on another thread you now say your dtek 50 is coming (posted 7hrs ago). Please change title of thread to something more acceptable considering you have one on the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161006_001130.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	409612

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    *Title is clearly rhetorical not inflammatory once put in context? Read on why...

I don't understand what the two have to do with each other. Order a DTEK50 in August and there were issues so never accepted it. Finally decided to order one Wednesday that will be here on Friday. I admit at the beginning of this thread I'm currently an iPhone user. More info: 6s work issued, new 7 bought launch day for personal use.

After 3 weeks decided to go DTEK50 because I'm bored with iOS at this point. I don't see what that has to do with my question. Just looking for opinions on what people feel makes a BlackBerry and where they stop feeling like they are using a BlackBerry, etc. I've hidden nothing and have no agenda?

How is my title unacceptable or need to be changed just because I'm getting a DTEK50?
    10-06-16 12:19 AM
58 123