I remember a while ago I had a BlackBerry 9900 that I found in a second hand store. I loved that thing and I would honestly still be using it if it wasn't becoming unbearable to see all these modern advances in tech, and instead of a newer BlackBerry, I settled for an Android. Still miss the serious nature of BlackBerrys
    Same here. It's kind of hard to articulate specifically what I miss, but "serious nature" is pretty good.
    10-06-16 07:19 PM
    I would proudly use a dtek 60 and say it's a BlackBerry. No different if I use a pixel phone made by HTC and think it's a Google phone.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    On this point and the point about contract manufacturers, there's a difference between having a contract manufacturer build a device you designed and rebranding a device designed by the manufacturer.

So I guess the question is, how much influence does Blackberry have over the design? How much can Blackberry change on these "reference designs"?
    10-06-16 07:32 PM
    I'm going to hang on to the end....which means hang on to my two unlocked Z30's that are the best phone I've ever owned (ya I used to have a Torch too). I still can put android apps on my phone so why purchase an Android OS phone. I'd be stupid to pay over $1,000 cdn for any phone. So the cost needs to drop big time before I'll waste another dollar on a Blackberry branded phone, no matter the OS. I don't need another door stop device like my Playbook.
    10-06-16 08:05 PM
    I miss BlackBerry and even using it. To me, if BlackBerry had more Developers behind it, I'd still be onboard.

After spending $714.95 on an AT&T Priv, I said never again. Didn't even have that thing a year. Ugh...

To me, going Android, i could simply get ANY Android device I wanted. With BlackBerry, I felt special...
    10-06-16 08:33 PM
    I miss BlackBerry and even using it. To me, if BlackBerry had more Developers behind it, I'd still be onboard.

After spending $714.95 on an AT&T Priv, I said never again. Didn't even have that thing a year. Ugh...

To me, going Android, i could simply get ANY Android device I wanted. With BlackBerry, I felt special...
    So that sort of touches on what I was kind of getting at. So this DTEK50 is arriving tomorrow. I had other AndroidOS options, even ones offering BlackBerry HUB+, but I still went with the DTEK50 feeling like THIS was BlackBerry still. But we'll see. What's crazy is that I'd be using a Classic or a Passport happily if it were for just a few apps I NEED. If they were WANTS, I could deal without...but NEEDS couldn't be compromised anymore. So I know I'm probably going to be happy with the DTEK50 and still miss BlackBerry at the same time.
    10-06-16 08:48 PM

I know what you mean by 'special' because I experienced a similar kind of feeling when I had a BlackBerry Passport. Build quality issues aside, I really liked the phone. I also really liked the BlackBerry OS. It's a superior OS, in my opinion, because the user interface just works. It's simple, straightforward, and more than immediately intuitive, without endless swiping and hunting for an app like the way I do on my current LG G4. The UI on BBOS is clean, clear with a business-like look and is very logical in its approach.

The native apps were also excellent. For instance, the Notes app let me create folders to store various notes on subjects and it made things incredibly easy to make note of. Can't do this on my current Android-OS phone or an Apple iPhone.

In short, the Passport lacked the toy-like, Fisher-Price approach to UX found in iOS and Android. It felt like a real, and very professional tool in my hands.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-06-16 11:30 PM
    Software is called "Soft" for a reason...it does what you tell it to do. Saying that the software/OS is at the core of any device is like saying anyone who masters the English language can only ever hope to write exactly like Shakespeare. It just doesn't work that way. BlackBerry should have made the switch to Android a long time ago. The notion that BB10 itself represented innovation and creation, or is even "uniquely" BlackBerry, is a pipe dream. Engineering software solutions, particularly an OS and app ecosystem that is essentially intended to emulate what your competitors have already accomplished, is not innovation. And it's also why BlackBerry and chief engineer Chen no longer see the value in developing it's own devices. It is the logical conclusion of a failed strategy that is years in the making: that somehow software engineering can be the cornerstone of a successful hardware business. And it won't work now that he has offloaded the last bastion of creativity left in his company, that before long will be designing the devices of his competition. Or in a stupid twist, the very people he will consult to design the future devices he and implementer-in-chief Thurber consider worthy of the BlackBerry moniker. Lol.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-07-16 04:38 PM
    For what it's worth. With the DTEK50, lasted about 5 hours. Just can't do the Android thing. Really wanted to like this phone. Just feels like a lot of unnecessary steps to do very simple things. To me, there was nothing BlackBerry about it besides the HUB, which is a great feature...but I just don't see getting use to Android. Just my opinion. I could see why others would really like it or moving up to the DTEK60, but just not for me. It's not BlackBerry to me. I prefer if I have to choose, iOS over Android. Can't entirely put my finger on it.

EDIT: Taking the time to fully understand and utilize what should be the best of both worlds. I'm getting more and more use to it.
    Last edited by RoscosDad; 10-10-16 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Because I took the time to learn how to use it.
    10-07-16 11:51 PM
58 123