The OS is what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry. I am using a BlackBerry Z3 that has its hardware made by Foxconn. To me the OS is what defines what a phone can or can not do. The hardware is just a tool for the OS to deliver the goods.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Velocitymj likes this.
    10-06-16 02:19 AM
    Since there are no wrong answers.... I consider a BlackBerry with anything running BlackBerry
    O/S but a true BlackBerry was when the original owners ran the company. Perhaps back in the RIM days.that said, I will still consider purchasing an android keyboard smartphone as I am starting to accept the fact that my BlackBerry collection is not keeping up with technology and my loyalty is no longer in question. Wait a minute...oh nevermind

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    10-06-16 03:47 AM
    The DTEK certainly isn't a BlackBerry, in my view. It really is just a hastily rebranded Android.

The Priv is probably the last 'real' BlackBerry but it's borderline.
    Flatman likes this.
    10-06-16 03:51 AM
    I 'use ' a blackberry passport, but I'm finding I'm not actually 'using a blackberry ' as often. This is mainly due to inefficient apps, linked in, twitter, facebook and soon whatsapp. Also find many websites don't respond as well on the native browser as on the iphone. So reluctantly use my work iphone more.
    Also is it just me or is the playbook browser getting luggy?

Swiped on my Passport!
    10-06-16 03:59 AM
    I 'use ' a blackberry passport, but I'm finding I'm not actually 'using a blackberry ' as often. This is mainly due to inefficient apps, linked in, twitter, facebook and soon whatsapp. Also find many websites don't respond as well on the native browser as on the iphone. So reluctantly use my work iphone more.

Swiped on my Passport!
    The PlayBook has been laggy af since 2014. I loved the device, but it's getting more and more irrelevant as years gone by.
    10-06-16 06:03 AM
    So I'm just curious what people think here. I'll be the first one to say it. I'm an iPhone user but started with BlackBerry Legacy devices and ran through the 950 Pager, 7120, Pearls, Curves, Torches, Tours, Bolds, Z10, Q10, Z30, Passports, Classic, and even a P'9983 Porsche Graphite. Tried the PRIV but wasn't for me. So I'm certainly no troll. However, I think people may find the line between what is a BlackBerry device and what is not to be different. And I'm curious where the line is drawn. "
    My Priv is indeed a Priv. The Bold was a Bold. An iPhone is an iPhone even if the chinese make it really. Is a Galaxy Note a "Samsung"? Is an iPhone an "Apple"? Is a Z10 a "BlackBerry"? I know that if i cook my own dinner then it's my dinner, but if I go into a restaurant and pay someone else to cook whatever I want, then it's still my dinner, right? I still get to choose what is made for me and what goes into it :-)
    bh7171 and cdnrower like this.
    10-06-16 06:23 AM

Swiped on my Passport!
    Other browsers are available to you. They probably get more recent updates :-)
    10-06-16 06:25 AM
    Similar question for automobiles. When you buy a Mazda is it a Ford because of part sharing. the landscape has changed over recent years and manufacturers are sharing components, rebranding, working together on projects that would never have happened 20 years ago. The cell phone business is no different. I think BlackBerry has a grasp of this and it's why they are focusing on software and not hardware.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    cdnrower likes this.
    10-06-16 06:32 AM
    Similar question for automobiles. When you buy a Mazda is it a Ford because of part sharing. the landscape has changed over recent years and manufacturers are sharing components, rebranding, working together on projects that would never have happened 20 years ago. The cell phone business is no different. I think BlackBerry has a grasp of this and it's why they are focusing on software and not hardware.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    You make it sound as if it was a decision they made......

Sorry but BlackBerry was forced out of hardware because they were a poorly ran company that didn't see how the market was changing and their "advantage" (BIS - push email and data compression) was becoming irrelevant. Back in 2005 BlackBerry was Apple, they could charge a premium for their phones and people would pay it, to get instant email, long battery life and low data usage, and good quality. Ten year later none of that mattered anymore, all devcies have instant email, many have better battery life and data is measured in GB not KB now... and quality has gone down.
    10-06-16 07:22 AM
    The DTEK certainly isn't a BlackBerry, in my view. It really is just a hastily rebranded Android.
    Most Android-powered phones fall into that category (plus or minus "hastily").
    10-06-16 07:36 AM
    You make it sound as if it was a decision they made......
    (BIS - push email and data compression)
    They've still got millions of customers using that. I was hopeful that a smaller, leaner company without the overheads could come along and make simple QWERTY devices and BlackBerry could provide the NOC for BIS.
    10-06-16 07:55 AM
    They've still got millions of customers using that. I was hopeful that a smaller, leaner company without the overheads could come along and make simple QWERTY devices and BlackBerry could provide the NOC for BIS.
    I would not be surprised if in a single market like Indonesia... that BBOS might live again.

Most in Indonesa carry more than one phone anyway... so app shortcomings might not be as big of an issue.. Who knows....
    10-06-16 08:10 AM
    A BlackBerry phone is one that is hardware and OS designed by BlackBerry. The last PKB BlackBerry was the Classic and the last full touch was the Leap. Anything else is someone else hardware/OS with BlackBerry labels on it.

Think of branded phones with a carriers label on it with their software apps installed. Do you call that phone by the carrier or the manufacture?
    10-06-16 08:23 AM
    I would not be surprised if in a single market like Indonesia... that BBOS might live again.

Most in Indonesa carry more than one phone anyway... so app shortcomings might not be as big of an issue.. Who knows....

Quite a few 'oldies' in the UK who want to hang on to their BBOS phones, and probably others elsewhere too. Some people are still interested in BB10 QWERTY devices. BB can't survive on 400,000 units sold a quarter but fingers crossed that some smaller companies can.
    10-06-16 08:44 AM
    made in waterloo.
    Just curious, how certain are you of this?
    10-06-16 10:32 AM
    Just curious, how certain are you of this?
    as certain as it could be ;-)... BlackBerry plans layoffs and Android-operating device amid revenue shortfall | CTV Kitchener News
    "The sources both say hundreds of additional jobs have been quietly shed over the summer, affecting software development jobs in Ottawa, manufacturing in Cambridge, Ont., and BlackBerry headquarters in Waterloo."
    http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-st...ly-chain-jobs/
    10-06-16 11:01 AM
    It is a BlackBerry if it is designed by BlackBerry. Is a Tizen OSed samsung the real samsung? Or the Android one? If BlackBerry decided to put android on it, it is Blackberry's decision or BB10 doesn't matter. It is like discussing if it's a Mercedes because it has a Renault diesel engine.
    Last edited by ardakca; 10-06-16 at 02:26 PM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-06-16 11:30 AM
    as certain as it could be ;-)... [url=http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/blackberry-plans-layoffs-and-android-operating-device-amid-revenue-shortfall-1.2581086]<snip> manufacturing in Cambridge, Ont., and BlackBerry headquarters in Waterloo."
    I was just verifying where the pre-production devices were being made. Looks like Cambridge.
    bob03sue likes this.
    10-06-16 11:59 AM
    I do but it's not my daily driver anymore.
    10-06-16 01:20 PM
    Let me post the answer with a question. If it is a device designed by company A loaded with BlackBerry 10 with a BlackBerry logo would you consider it a BlackBerry device?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-16 01:49 PM
    I'd call it a BB10, and stop at that.
    10-06-16 01:55 PM
    I view my Priv as a BlackBerry because it is designed after the iconic and beloved Torch, has the wonderful keyboard and VKB too. The PKB is fashioned after the PassPort which is undoubtedly a BlackBerry too. The Priv is unique, unlike other phones out there just like the Classic, 9900 and PassPorts are unique, unlike others. U look at these phones and are able to say "that is a BlackBerry". The Priv I have has been solid, zero issues and I like how Dtek works on it. The Dtek50 though to me is just an Alcatel phone, rebranded and kind of a hail Mary. It looks like all of the other Android phones out there and doesn't have any distinguishing design that makes it a BlackBerry. There isn't even a BlackBerry logo on the front. Kinda like when Honda had SUVs made by Isuzus. U knew they weren't true Hondas.

Posted via my Priv
    10-06-16 05:26 PM
    I would proudly use a dtek 60 and say it's a BlackBerry. No different if I use a pixel phone made by HTC and think it's a Google phone.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-06-16 05:36 PM
    To my way of thinking, if it wasn't designed and engineered in-house by BlackBerry, it isn't a BlackBerry, but someone else's phone with a BlackBerry badge or some other form of BlackBerry cosmetics slapped on it. It's no different than taking a car that has Mazda design, engineering and cosmetics and then slapping on a Ford badge.

There's a name for this, and the Big Three automakers in Detroit have been famous for this. It's called 'badge engineering'.
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-06-16 06:23 PM
    As long as BlackBerry has some say in the quality control I would venture to guess that many of these companies such as TCL do a great job at design and manufacturing. From what I read the idol phones are very good equipment. Can't say the same about others with major issues (bending, hissing exploding)
    So for I am very happy to see others design BlackBerry phones. Can't say I loved the design of every BlackBerry. But I do like the look of the dtek 60

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    Last edited by Adif_701; 10-06-16 at 07:29 PM.
    10-06-16 06:49 PM
58 123