Dear developers of BlackBerry apps who track the app statistics on BlackBerry world? What devices do you most commonly see your app downloaded onto? Don't need to know the actual download numbers of your app (that's private) but am curious of the percentages for:

Z10
    Q10
    Q5
    Z30
    Z3
    Passport
    Classic

I also recognize this will fluctuate based upon the type of app etc, but curious of the percentage breakdowns if you're willing to share.

My theory is that of the Blackberry 10 installed base, the Z10 is the largest (40-50% of the devices in use); the Q10 is second but gaining (25-30%) with the other 5 making up the difference.

Thanks for your insight.
    01-25-15 10:58 AM
    Interesting question. Let's see what the outcome is

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:03 AM
    I don't have the exact numbers at the moment but can confirm that your insight is fairly accurate.

Referring to your list of devices, the order I see in our case is:

50.2% Z10
    18.8% Q10
    15.6% Z30
    5.6% Passport
    5.2% Q5
    2.2% Z3
    1.6% Classic

Edit: percentages for January 2015 breakdown
    Last edited by serbanescu; 01-25-15 at 04:19 PM.
    RubberChicken76 and dusdal like this.
    01-25-15 11:04 AM
    So let's just build more PKB models and let the all touch models die on the vine.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    01-25-15 09:17 PM
    So let's just build more PKB models and let the all touch models die on the vine.
    Not the purpose of the thread, Bbnivende.
    01-25-15 09:53 PM
    Well you were wondering about the installed base so an inference based on the installed base has some relevance. What was your intended purpose?

We do not know the app but as a general supposition, I would presume that a Z owner is more likely to download an app. The conclusion to be drawn is that to date all touch models are more popular than PKB models. I would suggest that BlackBerry needs new all touch devices if they have any hope to meet their stated goal of 2.5 million devices per quarter.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-26-15 at 02:43 AM.
    01-26-15 01:07 AM
    Well you were wondering about the installed base so an inference based on the installed base has some relevance. What was your intended purpose?
    To see the distribution flows across devices. That's it, that's all. Not interested in grandstanding. We have enough threads on that. :-)
    01-29-15 05:47 AM
    I wrote an article a few weeks ago on my app download breakdown by device, even by country as well and compared it to a year prior when the Z30 was released .

BlackBerry Passport Metrics and Success | http://berryflow.com/2015/01/devpros...ssportsuccess/

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 06:18 AM
    I wrote an article a few weeks ago on my app download breakdown by device, even by country as well and compared it to a year prior when the Z30 was released .

BlackBerry Passport Metrics and Success | http://berryflow.com/2015/01/devpros...ssportsuccess/

Posted via CB10
    Thanks and I bought your App. Looks really good.

Not grand standing to say that BlackBerry needs to have a successor to the Z30 ASAP. I guess that will be the new hybrid slider.
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    01-29-15 01:35 PM
    Thanks and I bought your App. Looks really good.

Not grand standing to say that BlackBerry needs to have a successor to the Z30 ASAP. I guess that will be the new hybrid slider.
    Thanks! I appreciate the support

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 05:06 PM
    I agree it needs a successor. But there are other threads for that.
    01-31-15 08:59 AM
    The Classic has only been on the market a short time. Early returns suggest that the Classic will outsell the Passport.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-31-15 at 05:26 PM.
    01-31-15 01:12 PM
    These numbers are a terrifying omen for BB10. With such significant weight remaining on aging devices such as the Z10, Q10, and Z30, the structure of the user base is poised to precipitously decline in the coming year unless BBRY introduces a new Z10.
    01-31-15 04:02 PM
    January 2015

43% Z10
    18% Q10
    12.5% Z30
    7.5% Z3
    7.4% Q5
    7.2% Passport
    4% Classic

doesn't get to 100% because of rounding. And Porsche.

So 63% of users are still waiting for a new full touch device?
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-31-15 05:00 PM
    Not surprised that the Z30 is in third in both of those observations. Blackberry screwed up so bad with that phone in how they handled the launch of it. If you even want to call it a launch. If there was ever a forgotten, mistreated phone in the BB10 family it was the Z30. BB should be ashamed of themselves for not doing something to get the word out on that phone. A complete embarrassment on their part because its actually a very capable phone. Aside from its crappy screen (which I realize enhances its battery), and it being on the heavy side it, it performs nicely. Like everything about it since I've owned it except for the awful color scheme they chose for it. The back of the phone and that awful silver chin make it look cheap to me, when its probably the highest end phone they've made aside from the Passport material wise.
    howarmat and Bbnivende like this.
    01-31-15 09:13 PM
    BlackBerry over manufactured the Z10 and probably sold many at or below cost. They did not make the same mistake for the Z30.
    01-31-15 09:30 PM
    BlackBerry over manufactured the Z10 and probably sold many at or below cost. They did not make the same mistake for the Z30.
    Z10 was probably the most widely available, advertised and produced of all the BB10 phones. Not a surprise it's in the lead. Q10 got a bit of the same. By the time the Z30 came out the for sale sign was in the front yard. The worse the press got for BlackBerry, the fewer phones that went out the door.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 10:09 PM
    I think the need for it is there, though I'd argue it's a bit skewed by the massive Z10 liquidation. In an alternate universe, if the Q10 came out first, in January, I'd argue the percentage would probably flip the other way on BlackBerry fans.
    02-01-15 07:44 AM
    I would like to see more numbers shared please
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-26-15 06:17 PM
    04-07-15 05:30 PM
    Yes, I can also confirm that the Z10 and Q10 are the BB10 devices that downloaded the most one of the few BB10 apps we built. Although the total numbers of downloads lag behind iOS and Android (of course), but even WP8.
    04-08-15 02:57 AM
    Question to the App Devs:

Are these proportions based on total downloads since the introduction of your apps, or are they based on downloads for a specific (recent) period of time?

If the former then the stats are very flawed since many people (myself included) will not do repeat downloads of apps that they don't put to use. I downloaded many many apps on my Z10, not so many on my z30 and hardly any on my Passport.

Another thing that must be done to get a clear idea of device proportions is subtract the Passport and Classic numbers from the First Gen BB10 download numbers. Most people with one of the new phones will have had one of the old phones.

I think the portrayed proportions are basically correct but flaws in the data gathering method have caused an over estimation of the dominance of the old devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 04:22 AM
    Since my only Application doesn't support Q5,10 or classic, highest from z10 and z30, very few on z3 and Passport, virtually non on p9982

Might be able to get some more stats if I ever develop a second BlackBerry Application #NoIdeas
    04-08-15 04:42 AM
    Question to the App Devs:

Are these proportions based on total downloads since the introduction of your apps, or are they based on downloads for a specific (recent) period of time?

If the former then the stats are very flawed since many people (myself included) will not do repeat downloads of apps that they don't put to use. I downloaded many many apps on my Z10, not so many on my z30 and hardly any on my Passport.

Another thing that must be done to get a clear idea of device proportions is subtract the Passport and Classic numbers from the First Gen BB10 download numbers. Most people with one of the new phones will have had one of the old phones.

I think the portrayed proportions are basically correct but flaws in the data gathering method have caused an over estimation of the dominance of the old devices.

Posted via CB10
    The link I posted last is just for 1 month recently and not a cummulation of anything but active download during that month. So it represents the current mix of devices out there and I pretty much could have guess the results. The passport and classic are still very few sold compared to the legacy z10, z30 and q10
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-08-15 11:34 AM
    You should be able to group the Porsche with their perspective clone. shouldn't you?
    January 2015

doesn't get to 100% because of rounding. And Porsche.

04-08-15 11:46 AM
29 12