I saw this image posted in another thread and it got me to think about something I have thought has been a problem. I'm looking for somebody to clarify what this means for me. I attached the image to the post.

I have always thought that when the Wi-Fi logo is grayed out that means I lost the connection to the Wi-Fi. When I looked at this image however it made me wonder. If the Wi-Fi is grayed out does that mean its just not communicating with the BIS or something like, that but I'm still getting a connection from the Wi-Fi for the device?

I ask because constantly in my house(haven't really noticed because I don't use Wi-Fi elsewhere at least very common) it will be white but then I will load a page or two maybe and it will gray out again. If I give it a few mins. it turns white again but then gray.

Does this mean that I'm not really loosing my Wi-Fi just its connection to BIS or whatever...or is that me loosing the Wi-Fi connection? If I'am loosing the connection how can I fix that?

THanks,
    -mchruss03
    05-18-10 10:11 PM
    If its grayed out you're not connected. Go into the setup wi-fi network.
    05-18-10 10:19 PM
    ok, that is what I always thought but I got a little confused.

So why would it be connected just fine and then go away and come back after a little bit? Is there anything I can look at changing?

I have played around with the settings and stuff a little but if there is a solution that would be nice.
    05-18-10 10:42 PM
    also make sure your default browser configuration is set to either hot-spot browser or wi-fi browser. settings >options>advanced options>browser. if it is set to internet browser u may not be able to load pages on the browser.
    05-19-10 02:04 AM
    its white when you have a wifi connection and have an active BIS/BES connection through wifi.

its greyed out when you have a BIS/BES plan and lost wifi signal in general OR are using wifi without a BIS/BES plan in the first place.

examples:

1.) WHITE - someone with a BIS plan, while connected to their home network with BIS services available.

2.) GREY - the above person walked out of their wifi range, yet still have BIS active though the cellular network. (no longer connected to wifi)

3.) GREY - picking up my old 8900 that i dont use anymore, setting up a wifi network and begin browsing without a SIM card in the phone (obviously no active BIS plan)

the last two will look similar, yet depending on certain things, can mean different things.

get it?
    05-19-10 02:53 AM
    to what dictoresno said: Yes and thank you. That explains better and now I know for sure what it means.

but to Enzia: On my Storm 9550(VZW) I noticed that my settings for that were....

Default Browser Configuration: Internet Browser
    Default MDS Browser Configuration: Internet Browser

I changed the Default Browser Configuration to Hotspot Browser, the only other choice for that one. Then for the MDS Browser Configuration the only option I showed available was Internet Browser.

It already seems to be holding a connection(white) longer then ever before. Thanks for the help. I will post again here soon if I notice it doesn't hold up.
    05-19-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD