I' ve never had a Blackberry before with Wifi and I'm about to purchase an unlocked bold 9000, if I don't have a data plan with my provider can I still surf and use BBM or do I need to have a data plan ?
    02-22-10 12:31 PM
    Hotspot browser will work without a data plan. However, BBM requires a BlackBerry data plan. BBM cannot be used with just Wi-Fi.
    02-22-10 12:34 PM
    I' ve never had a Blackberry before with Wifi and I'm about to purchase an unlocked bold 9000, if I don't have a data plan with my provider can I still surf and use BBM or do I need to have a data plan ?
    Actually, I am no "newbie", but what actually can go though Wi-Fi when it is turned on?

BBM? Browser? E-Mail?
    02-22-10 01:33 PM
    Actually, I am no "newbie", but what actually can go though Wi-Fi when it is turned on?

BBM? Browser? E-Mail?
    Any of those if you have a data plan. You won't get BBM or push e-mail at all if you don't have a data plan.

The data plan provides the service books for the BBM and push e-mail. So as long as you have the data plan, those will work over Wi-Fi too. If you have the data plan, you'll have the BlackBerry browser in addition to Hotspot Browser.
    Last edited by lak611; 02-22-10 at 01:45 PM.
    02-22-10 01:42 PM
    Any of those if you have a data plan. You won't get BBM or push e-mail at all if you don't have a data plan.
    Ah... OK... so the only thing Wi-Fi is good for is the Browser. I assume that App World can work through Wi-Fi too???
    02-22-10 01:44 PM
    if you have data on your phone, then YES, you can use wifi to make any of those aforementioned apps work. However having no data plan, will pretty much make the blackberry a dumb phone...wifi or not
    02-22-10 02:40 PM
    Ah... OK... so the only thing Wi-Fi is good for is the Browser. I assume that App World can work through Wi-Fi too???
    You cannot use App World without the BlackBerry data plan.
    02-22-10 04:53 PM
    In order to install the appworld in the first place you need to have a BIS plan since it usually doesnt come preinstalled or even through a new firmware update(unless already installed). Appworld is only available in certain regions so the phone can only allow you to download it via a BIS inorder to determine if your carrier allows the application.
    02-22-10 05:05 PM
    It sounds like this is a huge scam in the sense that you need BIS wifi or no wifi , so you have to get a data plan no matter what .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 10:01 PM
    if you only get to use it for the browser, then its totally not worth it. rather carry an ipad around for the net lol. push email is a crucial necessity for me when it comes to a blackberry. bbm is nice to have as well.
    02-22-10 10:07 PM
    It sounds like this is a huge scam in the sense that you need BIS wifi or no wifi , so you have to get a data plan no matter what .

I wouldnt say scam because usually blackberry smart phones are sold through carriers who give it with a BIS plan...
    02-23-10 05:29 AM

BIS has nothing to do with wifi, you ought to be comparing GPRS, CDMA, or 3G to wifi. Those are just transport mechanisms. BIS is the service package you need to use a BlackBerry phone. It's a bundled hardware/software solution. And it works great.
    02-23-10 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD