So since amazon will be a pre-installed app on 10.3 are all the available apps gonna work once installed? Or will it be hit or miss like how it is now?

Posted via CB10 2B9B56E1
    06-23-14 09:27 AM
    it will still be hit and miss but I think that with the continued improvements they have made to the runtime you will get a much better rate of success
    06-23-14 09:40 AM
    Neither Amazon or BlackBerry should have made this deal if it's going to be hit or miss or a subpar performance - if people can't easily download working apps from an official app store it reflects badly on everyone.

So I expect everything should work. Nothing from Amazon has Google services anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 09:46 AM
    it will still be hit and miss but I think that with the continued improvements they have made to the runtime you will get a much better rate of success
    Let's hope that's it's the case. While most of the apps I download from Amazon work to a point they tend to run rather slow and crash at times. And that's only free apps. I would be very hesitant about actually buying an Amazon app.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and mediadavid like this.
    06-23-14 09:47 AM
    Let's hope everything works. Even with all the available apps it's just as bad as not having them if all u can do is look at them.

Posted via CB10 2B9B56E1
    06-23-14 09:59 AM
    Let's hope that's it's the case. While most of the apps I download from Amazon work to a point they tend to run rather slow and crash at times. And that's only free apps. I would be very hesitant about actually buying an Amazon app.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize an Amazon app is not made by Amazon, but just same as what being offered on google play store?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    06-23-14 10:17 AM
    You do realize an Amazon app is not made by Amazon, but just same as what being offered on google play store?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    this is false. Amazon store has about 1/5 of whats in the google play store. They have to submit to amazon store separately also.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-14 10:24 AM
    this is false. Amazon store has about 1/5 of whats in the google play store. They have to submit to amazon store separately also.
    I think they meant it is the same submission not the same number of apps. As is the app isn't changed in any way for use on Amazon. I could be wrong. Lol.

I hope the more devices using Amazon's App Store means more developer submissions. Win-win for Amazon and BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:30 AM
    Many Amazon Market apps ARE changed from their Google Play versions. For example, an app that uses Google Services won't work in the Amazon market, so the developer has to remove any and all of those dependencies and hook into other services (some Amazon's and some other third-party services) in order to function. This is especially true with paid apps, which have to be built to use Amazon's pay systems instead of Google's. This is both good and bad for BB users.

The "good" is that lots of apps that won't run when acquired through Google Play (using Snap or whatever) will run when gotten from the Amazon market. The "bad" is that, in general, the Amazon version of apps don't tend to be updated nearly as often, because of the extra work required to re-test everything in the Amazon fork of the app. Some devs practically abandon their Amazon Market versions of their app, though that's not the norm. Most are kept reasonably up to date, but typically go longer between updates and tend to run behind the Play Store version. I would expect that to improve somewhat with the launch of the Fire phone, but there's no getting around the fact that the Amazon market is still a secondary priority for most Android devs, with the Play Store being their primary focus.
    06-23-14 11:07 AM
    It's obvious with how often apps are updated on Amazon that devs don't pay attention to it as much as Gplay. So if by removing Google Services there is a subpar experience or the replacement doesn't work as well such as push notifications then its not going to be addressed as quickly.

BB nor Amazon will be testing apps that are available to users so its still YMMV on how an individual app will perform. I was hoping that as part of the deal BB would release a test suite against the runtime that they could use to curate apps in the Amazon store but it looks like its will still be 'DL & Pray'.
    06-23-14 11:08 AM
    Neither Amazon or BlackBerry should have made this deal if it's going to be hit or miss or a subpar performance - if people can't easily download working apps from an official app store it reflects badly on everyone.

So I expect everything should work. Nothing from Amazon has Google services anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Why not? Both Amazon and BlackBerry have said that both companies will benefit from it. It will allow most of the big named apps to be available on BlackBerry 10 devices through an official app store.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-23-14 12:25 PM
    Why not? Both Amazon and BlackBerry have said that both companies will benefit from it. It will allow most of the big named apps to be available on BlackBerry 10 devices through an official app store.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    Oh absolutely - but here's the thing, it needs to work. Without exceptions. Since BlackBerry and Amazon are advertising this and it's an official thing, I assume it will.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 12:52 PM
    10.3 seems to be polishing the runtime pretty decently. Won't fully know until the official release or the pre-official leaks.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-23-14 01:24 PM
    10.3 seems to be polishing the runtime pretty decently. Won't fully know until the official release or the pre-official leaks.

And how many months away is that?
    06-23-14 01:32 PM
    Some expectations need to be set here.

Amazon's app store is available to download for every single Android device out there, and I don't know how well it filters for version, country, language, etc. There is NO phone out there that will be compatible with every single app and indeed, I've seen comments to suggest that BlackBerry is already better than many.

The runtime is being updated for 10.3, and certain specific features are being implemented (like account integration). No, it probably won't be perfect, but the new Fire Phone may not be a heck of a lot better, either.
    06-23-14 01:37 PM
    And how many months away is that?
    Bout 4 or 5 meaning 6-7 months blackberry time.

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-14 03:46 PM