I have a Q10 on contract with AT&T. My update is due in 1 year.
    I'm not sure what I will update to at that time, but in the meantime, I was thinking of buying a cheap Z10 to see if I could get used to a touch screen.

1. If I buy one unlocked, say at Amazon, how do I know which one will work on AT&T?
    2. Can I just switch my sim card back and forth?
    3. Do I have to pay an activation fee?
    4. Do I even have to tell AT&T that I have it?
    5. If I have a complete backup from my Q10 on BB Link, will it all restore to the Z10?

Thanks for your help and pardon my ignorance. I am planning to wait till the Passport is out so maybe the price of Z10 will come down more :-)

Q10
    07-03-14 09:21 AM
    I have a Q10 on contract with AT&T. My update is due in 1 year.
    I'm not sure what I will update to at that time, but in the meantime, I was thinking of buying a cheap Z10 to see if I could get used to a touch screen.

1. If I buy one unlocked, say at Amazon, how do I know which one will work on AT&T? I believe its the stl-3
    2. Can I just switch my sim card back and forth? yes
    3. Do I have to pay an activation fee? no
    4. Do I even have to tell AT&T that I have it? no
    5. If I have a complete backup from my Q10 on BB Link, will it all restore to the Z10? yes except maybe apps that dont work on both,

Thanks for your help and pardon my ignorance. I am planning to wait till the Passport is out so maybe the price of Z10 will come down more :-)

Q10
    07-03-14 09:54 AM
    You will want a STL100-3 for it to work on AT&T

Yes, you are able to switch your SIM between devices. You can transfer your BBM contact list over by associating your BBID with your new phone. The phone should work without having to contact your carrier.
    anon721037 likes this.
    07-03-14 09:59 AM
    You will want a STL100-3 for it to work on AT&T

Yes, you are able to switch your SIM between devices. You can transfer your BBM contact list over by associating your BBID with your new phone. The phone should work without having to contact your carrier.
    Thanks!! Now I will keep my eyes open for a good deal!!

Q10
    07-03-14 11:53 AM
    If you want to keep your BBM message history don't forget to backup your phone. I'm using a Z10 and an iP5. I lost my chat history in BBM when swapping from one to the other by using just my BBID. The chat history wasn't that important to me but if might be for you.
    07-03-14 11:57 AM
    If you want to keep your BBM message history don't forget to backup your phone. I'm using a Z10 and an iP5. I lost my chat history in BBM when swapping from one to the other by using just my BBID. The chat history wasn't that important to me but if might be for you.
    Have no BBM friends, so no problem!

Q10
    07-03-14 12:13 PM
    You might prefer the app "Backup Pro" over BB Link. You can backup your calendar, contacts, SMS, Remember notes...etc, up to Dropbox and then do restore from Dropbox on your Z10 (or Passport). No desktop computer required. Can be done anywhere and anytime.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 06:58 PM
    And we are looking at adding the ability to backup/restore the chat history of Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 07:00 PM
    And we are looking at adding the ability to backup/restore the chat history of Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    Hey great app I use it myself.

Posted via CB10
    FireChestApps likes this.
    07-03-14 07:06 PM
    I wouldn't buy one from Amazon. I've bought what I thought was the AT&T model from them before and a lot of times the sellers in there don't know or are misinformed on what model they are selling you. Just my opinion but I'd find another place to buy one like off of here in the marketplace.
    07-03-14 07:11 PM
    I wouldn't buy one from Amazon. I've bought what I thought was the AT&T model from them before and a lot of times the sellers in there don't know or are misinformed on what model they are selling you. Just my opinion but I'd find another place to buy one like off of here in the marketplace.
    I was wondering about that. They say GSM unlocked, then it says 3G. I would want 4G. I want to be sure it's new. Their price is good, around $200.

Q10
    07-03-14 07:29 PM
    I was wondering about that. They say GSM unlocked, then it says 3G. I would want 4G. I want to be sure it's new. Their price is good, around $200.

Q10
    It's a crap shoot. I wouldn't risk buying it because while you can easily return it it's a hassle to not have what you wanted and to have to send it back. My bet is that it isn't compatible with AT&T LTE.
    07-03-14 07:30 PM
    It won't be on att 4g lte if you just buy an unlocked phone. Go on ebay man, you can buy one for the same price or cheaper and it be att branded.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 02:44 AM
    And yes, you can switch you're sim card back and forth, you don't have to tell att, and you won't have to pay any activation fee. Just switch sim cards back and forth and you don't have to worry about anything else.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 02:46 AM
    And yes, switching phones is a hassle. It's not like using the Q10 at the day and the Z10 in the evening. If you use Whatsapp, it is not so easy to switchn cause every time you switch you have to authorize. And you are only allowed to do that a limited amount of times within a specific time interval. BBM, I'm not sure but I thought messages are sent to both devices. Chat history is a problem with both programs. Things like agenda, adress book could be synced by using outlook or any other serice that provides this service. If you don't like cliud services, you have to do a lot of extra word to keep everything in sync. Password keeper by BlackBerry can backup, so you can keep that in sync by being organized.

Good luck with your Z10 it is a very nice phone but do order an extra battery.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 04:50 AM
    And yes, switching phones is a hassle. It's not like using the Q10 at the day and the Z10 in the evening. If you use Whatsapp, it is not so easy to switchn cause every time you switch you have to authorize. And you are only allowed to do that a limited amount of times within a specific time interval. BBM, I'm not sure but I thought messages are sent to both devices. Chat history is a problem with both programs. Things like agenda, adress book could be synced by using outlook or any other serice that provides this service. If you don't like cliud services, you have to do a lot of extra word to keep everything in sync. Password keeper by BlackBerry can backup, so you can keep that in sync by being organized.

Good luck with your Z10 it is a very nice phone but do order an extra battery.

Posted via CB10
    Good points. These phones now have so much on them it can be hard to keep everything up to date.

Q10
    07-04-14 08:25 AM
    Update. Not long after I started this thread BlackBerry offered the white Z10 for $199. I guess they were listening to me :-). It's supposed to be compatible with AT&T. Coming tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with it and learning how to use an all touch phone. (I don't count my husband's iPhone which I can't type on. Hopefully this will be easier).

Posted on my Q10
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-15-14 08:33 AM
    Update. Not long after I started this thread BlackBerry offered the white Z10 for $199. I guess they were listening to me :-). It's supposed to be compatible with AT&T. Coming tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with it and learning how to use an all touch phone. (I don't count my husband's iPhone which I can't type on. Hopefully this will be easier).

Posted on my Q10
    Great, just remember that you need to use the device. The keyboard learns your style of writing after a couple of weeks and then all you have to do thereafter is flick :-))

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 09:39 PM
    Yes. I know it will learn my typing. My Q10 learned so well I can often flick most of a sentence. I think I will set it to put the words above the keyboard to make it more similar to the Q10. It will be fun learning it.
    When my Q10 contract is over next summer, I will have a better idea of whether I want to update to another keyboard or all touch.

Posted on my Q10
    07-15-14 09:55 PM
    Yes. I know it will learn my typing. My Q10 learned so well I can often flick most of a sentence. I think I will set it to put the words above the keyboard to make it more similar to the Q10. It will be fun learning it.
    When my Q10 contract is over next summer, I will have a better idea of whether I want to update to another keyboard or all touch.

Posted on my Q10
    OK, enjoy and good luck. Sure you will probably try the Passport :-))

Posted via CB10
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    07-15-14 09:59 PM