I want to change the default application permissions on my phone to deny access to all user data, but I just wanted to ask: will that apply to all apps, or only third party ones? I don't want to screw up apps that need this data like the e-mail app, but I don't want third party apps getting at it either.
    06-01-11 04:15 AM
    No worries, just did it anyway and rebooted the phone. It confirmed the change and everything's working fine. Seems like you can't change the permissions of the RIM apps anyway (a sensible feature, of course).
    06-01-11 06:00 AM
    are you refering to apps using personal data (like name and phone number) or are you talking about mobile data (like your BIS connection) ?
    06-01-11 09:56 AM
    I was talking about personal data, the access to which you can control with application permissions.
    06-01-11 10:46 AM
    Could you please advise as to which settings you applied? That way I can apply them, too ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 05:08 PM
    I just denied access to my personal information. If I install a trusted app that needs those permissions I'll edit them myself, but I don't want all apps to automatically get access to them.
    06-03-11 03:45 PM
    I just denied access to my personal information. If I install a trusted app that needs those permissions I'll edit them myself, but I don't want all apps to automatically get access to them.
    Thanks for your reply. I just did the same -- changed "User Data" to "Deny.". But what are the other permission fields ("connections" and "interactions")? The choices are "allow," "custom," and "deny." What does the option "custom" do?

Last edited by T�nis; 06-03-11 at 05:16 PM.
    06-03-11 04:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I just did the same -- changed "User Data" to "Deny.". But what are the other permission fields ("connections" and "interactions")? The choices are "allow," "custom," and "deny." What does the option "custom" do?

Custom would let you go into the specific permissions under that category and let you tweak them. I recommend turning off things like phone permissions for most apps and put things you're not sure about to "Prompt" in case the app has a legit use for them.

I personally always personalise permissions for individual apps anyway, just to be on the safe side.
    06-03-11 05:59 PM
    Thank you, again!

06-03-11 06:06 PM
    Please use the thanks button if I've been helpful
    06-03-11 06:15 PM
    Please use the thanks button if I've been helpful
    Done! I usually post from WAP, so I don't even have those controls available to me, but I switched to the standard view and took care of it!
    06-03-11 06:41 PM
    I am much appreciative
    06-04-11 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD