I use a north American carrier, at&t. It has a subsidiary, cricket wireless. My question is, if I buy a cricket phone, will it work if I put an at&t Sim card inside? I see conflicting answers to this.

TCL, or acatel, has phones with cricket. There is a chance future BlackBerry phones might end up here, too. If perchance, a mercury were to appear in a cricket store, how possible would it be to buy it and use right away with at&t? Same company, after all...

Any thoughts?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-02-17 06:14 PM
    [QUOTE=Nguyen1;12751104]I use a north American carrier, at&t. It has a subsidiary, cricket wireless. My question is, if I buy a cricket phone, will it work if I put an at&t Sim card inside? I see conflicting answers to this.

TCL, or acatel, has phones with cricket. There is a chance future BlackBerry phones might end up here, too. If perchance, a mercury were to appear in a cricket store, how possible would it be to buy it and use right away with at&t? Same company, after all...

Any thoughts?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.[/QUOTE

Like any Phone if it is system locked it cannot cross connect. If unlocked any cricket/AT&T Phone will cross connect
    02-02-17 06:48 PM
    ... Like any Phone if it is system locked it cannot cross connect. If unlocked any cricket/AT&T Phone will cross connect
    It depends on whether "system locked" means the carrier or the network. In Canada phones "locked" to either Rogers or their subsidiary Fido can be used with either carrier since it is the network they are locked to. I was with someone when they bought a Rogers iPhone and then had it setup to use with a Fido SIM.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 02-03-17 at 01:45 PM.
    02-03-17 01:14 PM
    If you read some of the other post here about Cricket... they have in the past locked phones to their service, and you had to get it unlocked to use it with another service - even AT&T. I think the trend these days is not to lock phones, unless they are part of a long term contract.

But I think chances are pretty good that AT&T will have the Mercury.... as they sorta mentioned they had all the major US Carriers.
    02-03-17 01:29 PM
    It depends on whether "system locked" means the carrier or the network. In Canada phones "locked" to either Rogers or their subsidiary Fido can be used with either carrier since it is the network they are locked to. I was with someone when they bought a Rogers iPhone and then had it setup to use with a Fido SIM.
    Interesting. I never considered that.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-03-17 05:05 PM
    In the US if the phone is locked to AT&T then it will not see another companies SIM card. Most phones bought with a contract are locked until the phone is paid off.
    02-03-17 06:52 PM