I've never had a smart phone before and really like the 9700. I have a really noob question regarding both 9700 keyboards and I guess all recent blackberry keyboards. I have average hands, fingers are skinny and when I held the 9700 I instinctively position my thumbs for typing but the feel of a number of keys under your thumb is a really weird sensation, kind a confusing with so many buttons underneath. Does it get a lot easier to type on? I guess for all recent blackberry converts, how long did it take for you to become functional on the keyboard and develop a mid level of efficiency?
    12-31-09 11:12 PM
    I would imagine that you would be able to get used to it. The Bold's have some of the largest keyboards out of the Blackberry's, and you get used to the feeling of any keyboard after a while. If you can type well on a computer keyboard, it shouldn't take you any more than a week to get used to a Blackberry keyboard. It took me about a week to get used to a full QWERTY on my phone, and now I type very fast (I am good at typing on a computer, also).
    12-31-09 11:15 PM
    I would imagine that you would be able to get used to it. The Bold's have some of the largest keyboards out of the Blackberry's, and you get used to the feeling of any keyboard after a while. If you can type well on a computer keyboard, it shouldn't take you any more than a week to get used to a Blackberry keyboard. It took me about a week to get used to a full QWERTY on my phone, and now I type very fast (I am good at typing on a computer, also).

Thank you for your reply. I can type well on a keyboard so it's probably just matter of getting used to and developing a sensitivity for it. What types of speed in terms of wpm do you get if you don't mind me asking?
    01-01-10 12:06 AM
    Once you get really good 40 wpm is not out of the question. I started on the 8700, 8310, 8900, and now a 9000 so Ive been at it a while. Im right handed so I cradle the phone in my left hand and use my left thumb and right index finger to work both sides. LOL, dont worry, you'll be surprised at how quickly you become good at it.
    01-01-10 12:24 AM
    Once you get really good 40 wpm is not out of the question. I started on the 8700, 8310, 8900, and now a 9000 so Ive been at it a while. Im right handed so I cradle the phone in my left hand and use my left thumb and right index finger to work both sides. LOL, dont worry, you'll be surprised at how quickly you become good at it.
    Seriously? I type with both of my thumbs.
    01-01-10 01:17 AM
    I've speed tested over 60 wpm on the Curve on average, and that's after just a year of owning it. So, as in everything, practice makes for efficiency!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 01:18 AM
    Another dumb question, are you using your fingernails to type or just the tip of your finger/thumb? I type without looking at the computer keyboard, is it possible to do the same thing with a bb?
    01-01-10 02:36 AM
    At first I thought the 8900s keyboard was small. But I got really good at typing on it and I am amazed on ergonomic and comfortable RIM makes there keyboard. Its simply amazing, I am planning to try out the google phone this jan and I keep thinking about how I am gonna miss RIM's legendary keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 02:55 AM
    Another dumb question, are you using your fingernails to type or just the tip of your finger/thumb? I type without looking at the computer keyboard, is it possible to do the same thing with a bb?
    The reason I own a 9000 is the size of the keyboard. I can use the ends of my thumbs and not just the very tip. No fingernail typing for me. I still look at the keyboard most of the time but am getting better at not doing that. The feel of the keyboard is not quite natural yet but as some above said, practice makes perfect.
    01-01-10 06:13 AM
    I have a Tour and use the ends of my thumbs with no problems. The Bold 9000 is by far the largest keyboard out there on any BB. I've been using a smartphone for about 6 years and still cannot type as proficiently on it as I do a computer. You'll "learn" the keyboard pretty quick if you already know how to type.
    01-01-10 08:07 AM
    I type with the top of my thumb, no fingernails for me. Any keyboard feels weird at first, but you will definitely get used to the Blackberry keyboard faster than a Palm keyboard. And maybe about 30-40 WPM on average, I can usually get more though.
    01-01-10 04:41 PM
    I've never had a smart phone before and really like the 9700. I have a really noob question regarding both 9700 keyboards and I guess all recent blackberry keyboards. I have average hands, fingers are skinny and when I held the 9700 I instinctively position my thumbs for typing but the feel of a number of keys under your thumb is a really weird sensation, kind a confusing with so many buttons underneath. Does it get a lot easier to type on? I guess for all recent blackberry converts, how long did it take for you to become functional on the keyboard and develop a mid level of efficiency?
    yes it gets easier to type on after you use it for a while
    01-01-10 05:12 PM
    After using my Suretype Pearl (which I did get quite proficient with) I got used to the 9700 fairly easy.
    01-01-10 05:18 PM
    Seriously? I type with both of my thumbs.
    Ive broken my right thumb a couple of times and it doesnt want to bend to the correct typing position, so I adjusted and use my index finger instead-LOL
    01-03-10 03:59 PM
    Two thumbs here, even with the Storm and SureType.

You should do a search for some dude on youtube who is INSANELY fast. Two thumbs there too..
    01-03-10 07:55 PM
    I just upgraded from a Pearl 8110 to a Curve 8530. I loved loved LOVED Suretype on the Pearl (it was really the only thing I had reservations about with getting a Curve) but I am getting used to the full QWERTY. So far, I'm finding myself using my thumbnails a lot because when I try to use the ends of my thumbs I'm hitting extra keys. But I'm hoping to eventually use the ends instead of the nails. I've been working through the Thumb Touch-Typing Guide here at CB, and it's helping a lot (especially the exercise of typing "palmz" over and over again, helping your thumbs learn where the ends of each letter row are).
    02-19-10 09:34 PM
    I have never been able to type without looking at the keyboard bi tjink that It would be too hard but there are people out there that do it. I have typed on many different keyboards virtual and physical and the Bold keyboard is the best I have evet used. I
    02-20-10 04:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD