So did BB10 devices, the difference is BBOS devices are 3 years old and still outselling BB10, imagine what new and improved BBOS hardware could do.

#believeinfilm
    Well in the Earnings Call, Chen just announced that they are restarting production of the Bold!
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    03-28-14 07:24 AM
    Well, I was not close. A cheer for the winners.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    03-28-14 07:27 AM
    I was very close, said 1.2 million bb10 and 2.3 bb7

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-28-14 07:27 AM
    Well in the Earnings Call, Chen just announced that they are restarting production of the Bold!
    So can I start my "I told you so" thread? Lol
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 07:44 AM
    So did BB10 devices, the difference is BBOS devices are 3 years old and still outselling BB10, imagine what new and improved BBOS hardware could do.

#believeinfilm
    On an old platform that doesn't support things like dual cores or modern apps that take advantage of modern hardware???

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:51 AM
    If it's not padding, then what is it?
    Disclosure... they reported a write down based upon an inventory issue previously. he's giving an update on how the situation has changed.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:54 AM
    On an old platform that doesn't support things like dual cores or modern apps that take advantage of modern hardware???

Posted via CB10
    Some people don't want all that technology, they want a very efficient communicator.

I could use a DSLR, but I use a SLR and shoot film.

Just because technology is moving on fast doesn't mean everybody wants to keep up with it.

I offered my iphone 5 32gb to my wife but she'd rather use her Bold 9790

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 08:54 AM
    I think they'd be better served by filling the pieces into BlackBerry 10 on new hardware than releasing an old platform on new hardware that can't make use of the hardware anyway

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:57 AM
    I think they'd be better served by filling the pieces into BlackBerry 10 on new hardware than releasing an old platform on new hardware that can't make use of the hardware anyway

Posted via CB10
    Too many pieces to fill plus I don't think they could make BB10 use BIS, which is still a reason many still choose BBOS.

#believeinfilm
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 09:04 AM
    I still have one of those old bb phones...I want a bb10 one but honestly, prices are high and its keeping me away from one unfortunately. There should be some sort of incentive for old bb phones so all those people that have old devices, make a switch..
    03-28-14 09:11 AM
    I still have one of those old bb phones...I want a bb10 one but honestly, prices are high and its keeping me away from one unfortunately. There should be some sort of incentive for old bb phones so all those people that have old devices, make a switch..
    Z3 will be sub 200. Q5s are also cheap

03-28-14 09:15 AM
    Z3 will be sub 200. Q5s are also cheap

Isn't the Z10 that cheap already? Why would anybody choose the Z3 over the Z10?

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 09:21 AM
    Hilarious! What, like there is not enough legacy devices to fulfill demand. What a joker
    03-28-14 10:09 AM
    Hilarious! What, like, there is not enough legacy devices to fulfill demand. What a joker
    There isn't, only one BB7 device (9720) and one BB6 device (9320) are still available.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 10:11 AM
    There isn't, only one BB7 device (9720) and one BB6 device (9320) are still available.
    And the Bold 9900
    03-28-14 10:12 AM
    Too many pieces to fill plus I don't think they could make BB10 use BIS, which is still a reason many still choose BBOS.

#believeinfilm
    I doubt many people know what "BIS" is or what benefits it brings, let alone clamor for it in 2014

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:15 AM
    This is chens second quarter and I'm afraid I'm beginning to lose faith.
    If you want someone to right the ship in two quarters, I think you're going to be disappointed. Even Jobs took eight quarters at least to "right" Apple.

There is no quick fix realistically

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:18 AM
    Going back to what made them unpopular is not the answer

03-28-14 10:18 AM
    And the Bold 9900
    No carrier has it for sale, some third party sellers might.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 10:20 AM
    BBRY could at least inform potential users that they don't need BBRY plan for BB10 devices. Second, BBRY could demand from all carriers to open BB10 offer to the open retail and not to keep BB10 devices only to enterprise/business - yes, there are still some carriers keeping BB10 devices for business only offer. And third, BBRY should lower price for BB10 devices in all markets.
    Also, if they insist on legacy devices, BBRY should allow legacy devices to use all internet services without BIS or BES because in some countries BIS is not cheap. In fact, BIS is a main reason why people opted for new phones because it represents additional cost.
    03-28-14 10:27 AM
    No carrier has it for sale, some third party sellers might.

#believeinfilm
    Dude - I'd take you more seriously if you stopped passing off your speculations as facts.

Here's a little known carrier that has it for sale. ;-)

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=JBYcvYyK
    03-28-14 10:29 AM
    Really??? You've gone to all the carriers that sell BlackBerry's across the globe have you?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I meant in UK.

#believeinfilm
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-28-14 10:33 AM
    Dude - I'd take you more seriously if you stopped passing off your speculations as facts.

Here's a little known carrier that has it for sale. ;-)

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fM4efLYX
    As above, I meant in UK.

And technically that's not the 9900, that's the CDMA 9930

#believeinfilm
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-28-14 at 11:06 AM.
    03-28-14 10:34 AM
    Going back to what made them unpopular is not the answer
    It's true that consumers generally seem to want what the non-BB vendors are selling, but going back and offering enterprise and business users a chance to buy a handset that remains extremely popular in that market segment may prove to be a smart move.

Makes for a complex handset operation though. BBOS for enterprise, BB10 for emerging markets. Hard to see any cross-over or mutual benefit to BB from running those entirely disparate production lines.

Interesting decision from Chen. I still don't believe that BBOS is BB's future (though neither is BB10), but it probably extends the userbase decay curve out a few more quarters.
    03-28-14 11:04 AM
    So how many did they sell this quarter?
    Why are they padding the number with deferred sales from the previous quarter?

How could they have sold 3.4 million handset to end users but only recognize 1.3 million devices as revenue?

Can someone explain?
    The 2.1M phones where revenue isn't being recognized are from prior shipments. When BB10 launched, BB sold a bunch of phones to carriers around the world, and got the money for them up-front, and recognized them as "sales" even though they hadn't sold to end-users. That's why they reported good sales initially (remember Thor saying "best launch ever!"?) - the carriers bought a bunch thinking they would sell. When they didn't sell even after several quarters, and many were returned to BB, BB was forced to give more detail to clarify the situation.

Essentially, they only shipped 1.3M phones to carriers this past Q, but 3.4M phones were sold by carriers to end-users; the remaining 2.1M came from carrier's existing inventory of BB10 phones that were already paid for previously.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-28-14 12:15 PM
160 ... 34567