It will be more stable also, software installation and uninstall is more clean , not needing a reboot for example. Its just the little perks, its mostly how it works. The current java OS can be reworked to do all that, but it would take a lot of work on RIM's part to make it happen. While QNX is more of a breeze in terms of adaptation, for RIM and for other developers, like missing_k-w said. A pure complete java OS is too limited by itself in terms of expansion.

This is a small overview article i found that talks about qnx.
    HOT! QNX Tablet OS - A Deep Dive Into How It Works! - BerryReview

Some of you may not care about these features, but RIM does and is entering the media rich consumer market, if it didn't matter at all to them we would easily be still in OS 5 or 4, which easily fulfills the needs of a phone. QNX could also be seen as an OS to internally make things easier for RIM.

edit:

Liquid graphics is just a marketing gimmick for hardware accelerated GUI or a GUI that resembles a very liquid/fluid/non lagged movement. Use the playbook, the GUI is already liquid as is.
    Now we're getting to the meat and potato's of it. Thanks
    06-29-11 10:10 AM
    Are developers still sitting at the sidelines for making apps for QNX? After reading the link I'm surprised if they are, I guess they still need to see better sales.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-29-11 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added for
    06-29-11 10:53 AM
    QNX is common in cars, so it brings a really good touch experience to the BB.
    I don't follow your logic here.
    06-29-11 10:55 AM
    Are developers still sitting at the sidelines for making apps for QNX? After reading the link I'm surprised if they are, I guess they still need to see better sales.
    None of the true qnx apps are possible without the native tools for their development. Instead, rim made a shady deal with adobe and released flash/actionscript first, or they didn't have time to make the adjustments to the native tools and needed something to keep people busy with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 11:04 AM
    That is like saying the people that have an iphone 4 shouldn't expect the iOS5 on their devices. I have no problem with os7, but if they would have actually used their heads they should be making these os7 lines QNX upgradable for sometime next year. You should be able to have a phone for 1.5 to 2 years and be running the current os of that platform. It is being done for both android and apple. So yes, to some the 9930 will be a dead end device! I know companies like to keep things under lock and key until release time. But for the mess RIM has created, I can't help but feel as a customer I am owed maybe some insight on their direction! It would be nice to know more on QNX. What will make it so great on hh? I know I am actually not owed anything by RIM, but I can't help but feel this way! But hey, if I don't like it go to another platform right.....
    Other platforms are no better. Apple has screwed up ios upgrades, I think that was 4.2 to 4.3 that was unbearable for some of the old devices.

Android is at the mercy of manufacturers. this moto xoom i'm playing with is short of te android 3.1 upgrade

upgrades requires some foresight. 9000 didn't upgrade well to 5.0 9700 didn't upgrade all that well to 6.0. Let's hope they have the hardware right this time
    06-29-11 11:06 AM
    Can someone please explain what a QNX device can do Vs. a device with OS7?

I just dont know and would appreciate some help. Do I wait for a QNX device if they are coming out in late 2011 or early 2012??

Thanks in advance
    I don't think anyone really answered your questions. So let me put in what I think makes the QNX better that BB 5, 6, 7 (which all pretty much run on the same kernel)

• Flash (Ahhhh) - QNX has partnered with Adobe since long before the RIM Acquistion and they have a very good relationship. the Flash Implementations on the Playbook have been regarded as the best in mobile industry from many of the reviews I have read. So you could expect very solid Flash performance in QNX based OS's going forward. BB OS is no where near able to support Flash from what I know.
    • SMP - or Symmetrical Multi Processing. This means that the OS knows how to utilize multi core chip sets. Android is just starting on this with Ice Cream Sandwich and iOS is dabbling in it. No one in Mobile today is nearly as advanced as QNX is. This OS has been on MultiCore systems for over 10 years. QNX is SMP certified from it's very start, and capable of running well more than 2 cores. This is were RIM has said that it runs BEST on Multi Cores and people have misinterpreted that to mean QNX powered devices REQUIRE Multi Core devices. QNX will run on anything, multi or single.
    • Broad Hardware Support - Look at the Chipsets and hardware that QNX supports. (It is on their Site Somewhere). QNX runs on just everything. You could probably run it on a digital Mickey Mouse watch. RIM can easily move between chipsets and adapt the OS kernel to new up and coming hardware very easily.
    • SDK - As mentioned by Some, QNX is Open Source in its roots. So it is very easy to support a lot of programming methods and tools. This will be very attractive to Devs if RIM stablizes.
    • QNX has been to other planets. Can iOS say that? Can Android?
    • Stability - BB OS is not the best at managing Memory. It's JVM, where the Apps, run leaks memory like a siv and never really recovers it properly. Try deleting a large app and you may notice that your available memory doesn't go up. Even after restart you won't recover the full amount that the App took up. This poor resource managemnt is what leads to crashes and battery pulls. QNX is designed never to crash. And I mean NEVER. An App may crash, or perform badly, but the OS will chug along unaffected. Look at the demo's of the Playbook running several intensive programs at the same time. Even once bogged down, you can see performance return the moment an app is closed. QNX means the end of battery pulls
    • QNX can run other OS's - Someone else pointed this out, but the early version of the Android App Simulator on the Playbook was running the full version of Gingerbread. Not just a JVM capable of running android apps, the whole freaking OS. I think RIM should hand out shirts that say "Our OS can run your OS"
    • Terminal and Emulation - QNX is all over the place and does a lot of terminal emulation. So think about the BB Bridge concept but expand it. Get in your car and the Screen in the dashboard can be running your BB OS in full. Or same but in a PC, other Tablet, or Smart TV.

That is just some of things that set QNX apart from BB7. Keep in mind that BB 7 is effectively the same Kernel as BB 5 and BB 6. So the Core of the OS is the same, just updated etc. The largest improvement in BB 7 is that the Hardware is really good. Solid Chip-sets, GPU, lots of RAM, etc.

The BB7 devices should be nice, and may even support the BB 8 (qnx) OS when that arrives.

But make no mistake that QNX is light years ahead of BB OS in its scalibility and capabilities. It may even be light years ahead of the competition, but that will depend on the hardware RIM runs it on and how well they implement.
    06-29-11 12:14 PM
    Can someone please explain what a QNX device can do Vs. a device with OS7?

I just dont know and would appreciate some help. Do I wait for a QNX device if they are coming out in late 2011 or early 2012??

Thanks in advance
    This is exactly what I want to know too ! How much of a difference there really is between the two.
    06-29-11 12:24 PM
    No insults intended here, just a person who isn't a true techy asking a question that will no doubt make many of you laugh. From what I've read and tried to interpret about QNX, its not required for someone who loves her Blackberry and wants it mainly for emails, texts, surfing the net when needed, maps and playing around with some of the basic functions stuff like that?
    I'm thinking the the Bold Touch OS 7 will be more than adequate. Is this correct?
    06-29-11 12:33 PM
    No insults intended here, just a person who isn't a true techy asking a question that will no doubt make many of you laugh. From what I've read and tried to interpret about QNX, its not required for someone who loves her Blackberry and wants it mainly for emails, texts, surfing the net when needed, maps and playing around with some of the basic functions stuff like that?
    I'm thinking the the Bold Touch OS 7 will be more than adequate. Is this correct?
    From this perspective I think QNX only lends stability. Less crashes and battery pulls.

If RIM follows the update model with the playbook than you would get faster updates as well. Even if they run through carriers which I expect they will you may see faster, better updates just because of how much easier it is to work on.

But largely you are right, QNX won't affect people who go to BB because they want solid messaging.

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-29-11 12:47 PM
    I think the Bold Touch will be more than adequate if you want a high-end smartphone, based on what todays smartphones are capable of doing. (Calls, messaging, apps, browsing.)
    06-29-11 12:48 PM
    I'm thinking I completely agree - I'm definitely one of those people.

06-29-11 12:53 PM
    Just to give a glimpse of how capable a QNX device would be....

QNX BB's will have the capability to run windows mobile 7, ios, and android in their entirety in unison on one device in their own environments all in real time only limited by hardware....now this was just an example...This capability is a reality in the potential.....
    ....All this capability with only requiring opening a new window

What many consider to be cutting edge in ios and Android was being supported by QNX 15-20 years ago...In the most cutting edge, state of the art in computer sciences... One should be aware that we as consumers are in a market delivery delay in the consumer market from what is currently state of the art outside the realms of consumer/civilian market places

BB OS vs QNX

QNX OS> architecture supports software capabilities that far exceed anything in consumer existence and will give RIM the luxury of only having to focus on software layers

BB OS> requires reengineering of the OS architecture to remain current in regards of consumer software support capabilities...

Now on the competitive front...

QNX BB's will support more SDK's , API's etc then that of any other current commercially available OS...
    1) Change "... how capable a QNX device would be...." to "how capable a QNX device COULD be...." - all of this is entirely your own speculation and BB enthusiasm

2) Change "... QNX BB's will have the capability to run windows mobile 7, ios, and android ..." to "... QNX BB's will have the capability to run ANDROID ..." - RIM has only stated there will be an Android player, they've said nothing about iOS or Windows players that I'm aware of

Sorry, but while I appreciate your enthusiasm, stating your own conjecture, assumption and wishful thinking as fact can be misleading to those who are newer to Berries, these forum, and your posts.

- R.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    06-29-11 01:35 PM
    From replies on an earlier thread " What can't you you do on a BB" it's obvious that there isn't anything you can't do to a more or lesser extent on BB, only slower. The limiting factor of BBOS is the hardware it's running on and the fact that nobody wants to develop the top apps for it. The hardware is being remedied by the up coming phones and the apps development by QNX. The main advantage of QNX is the ease of porting over the existing apps to BB which will make it commercially viable for developers. You don't even have to port anything over for android apps, it will run natively out of the box. I'm sure other ios apps could be made to run too! as long as apple don't sue to stop it.

BBOS7 will not stop working when QNX comes out so get what phone suits you and is available at the time your contract comes up and update when a QNX phone comes out. Simples.
    Incorrect.

BBOS truncates emails - not hardware related.

Android apps run natively, out of the box - incorrect, while they don't need to be recompiled, there is a process the developer needs to run, and not all developers will choose to. There is also the support issue - supporting an app on Android will not be identical to supporting it on QNX.

Just want to inject some reality in here. QNX will not be a magic bullet.

- R.
    06-29-11 01:46 PM
    Everyone on here says it will not because it has to have at least a dual core processor. Of course everyone on here are experts.
    Um, it was either Mike or Jim who said they would only put QNX on a dual core phone. Not the members of this forum. Check your facts.

- R.
    06-29-11 01:48 PM
    3 pages of non-answers, and the hits just keep coming.

I'd guess that what you're going to see on a QNX phone that you won't on a BBOS phone is:
    - Lots of on-board storage
    - 4G capability
    - Flash support
    - 8-mp rear camera
    - 3-5-mp front-facing camera
    - Video conferencing capability
    - Hi-def video recording
    - huge and wicked hi-res display
    - Possibly HDMI output

Just my guesses, not to be confused with my personal wish list, because I don't necessarily want any of that on my phone.

Sorry, but I don't get it. The OP asked what QNX offered over BBOS. QNX has nothing to do with whether RIM decides to put an 8MP rear camera, 3-5MP rear camera, Hi-def video recording, HDMI output, or "huge and wicked" h-res display on a phone.

These are hardware design decisions completely independent of QNX.

- R.
    jebulls likes this.
    06-29-11 01:52 PM
    While reading this, just remember that QNX as a core OS is not what users will experience on Berries. Users will experience core OS fleshed out with a lot of RIM-developed layers providing phone, PIM, media, etc functionality. So at present much of what you read here needs to be separated into what core QBX can do and what RIM's QNX-based phone OS "COULD" do. Very different things.

- R.
    06-29-11 01:57 PM
    Incorrect.

BBOS truncates emails - not hardware related.
    Actually, I believe it is BIS which truncates email. We don't know what RIM's QNX native email email client will look like yet, but if it depends on BIS we will still get truncated emails.
    06-29-11 02:46 PM
    Sorry, but I don't get it. The OP asked what QNX offered over BBOS. QNX has nothing to do with whether RIM decides to put an 8MP rear camera, 3-5MP rear camera, Hi-def video recording, HDMI output, or "huge and wicked" h-res display on a phone.

These are hardware design decisions completely independent of QNX.

- R.
    Yes your lordship.

I never said those things were QNX-dependent; I did say they are things you're likely to see on a QNX phone that you won't see on BBOS. I have no idea which of those may or may not be due to limitations of BBOS, but they're my best guess. Sorry if that didn't pass your standards of forum excellence.

So instead of chastising almost every poster in this thread, care to offer something constructive and actually address the OP's original question?

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 06-29-11 at 03:10 PM.
    06-29-11 03:03 PM
    That's actually an excellent question that really hasn't been talked about much. All we hear is that QNX will be the salvation of RIM, but nobody has actually dissected exactly why. Supposedly BBOS is too antiquated a platform to do what a 'superphone' needs to be able to do. There's another thread around here somewhere where howarmat listed a bunch of things that Android can do but BBOS cannot; I'm guessing they're possibly platform limitations that aren't there with QNX, or at least that QNX is better suited to handle efficiently.

Personally, BBOS already does all that I need a phone to do. If these OS7 devices do what current devices do only more quickly and smoothly, I don't see myself needing or wanting a 'superphone'. I hope I'm in the minority, or else RIM will be in the process of spending a LOT of time, money and resources on something not many people are going to buy.

edit: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/so-w...crackberry.com
    most of the time this is what RIM does....sadly
    06-29-11 03:19 PM
    I don't follow your logic here.
    Cars often have touch screens for Navigation, Entertainment, etc. I've never seen a Qwerty keyboard in a car. :-). In a car touch screen has to work to be of any use.

06-29-11 03:23 PM
    I think less is more look at Apple just one phone a year and they have great success! I say bring the QNX and improve on it from year to year with about two devices a touch screen and a keyboard model both of which need to be competitive with the top models.
    this is what exactly my thought, RIM has just go 2 much on its plate. with all their devices 1 company is doing the job that Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola is for Andriod. Apple is oppisite with one device to worry about.

no wonder they struggle to get stuff out in a timley, up to date(tech-wise) manner
    06-29-11 03:34 PM
    Thanks everyone. I saw a few posts that really gave me a new perspective on what the QNX phones could be. I appreciate the help.

For now, I will grab a bold touch and in 2 years, a QNX device. Thanks everyone!!!!
    06-29-11 03:41 PM
    Yes your lordship.

I never said those things were QNX-dependent; I did say they are things you're likely to see on a QNX phone that you won't see on BBOS. I have no idea which of those may or may not be due to limitations of BBOS, but they're my best guess. Sorry if that didn't pass your standards of forum excellence.

So instead of chastising almost every poster in this thread, care to offer something constructive and actually address the OP's original question?

Separating fact from conjecture and wishful thinking IS constructive. Nothing wrong with conjecture and wishful thinking as such. However, incorrect labeling can lead to incorrect conclusions and poor decisions.

- R.
    06-29-11 03:54 PM
    Um, it was either Mike or Jim who said they would only put QNX on a dual core phone. Not the members of this forum. Check your facts.

- R.
    Excuse me but every time I asked in a thread a MEMBER here said it will only run on dual core.

What makes you such an expert?
    06-29-11 04:05 PM
    QNX seems technically superior -- has headroom. But we will have to see how well RIM builds into the QNX phone OS the features that everyone knows and loves in the current OS's (push email/BBM etc.). How well they implement things and what ends up being different (good or bad).

I think the new hardware is actually a bigger deal. The 9900 phones will finally give you chance to see whether the old BB performance issues were the software or the hardware. Hardware will not be an excuse this time.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    06-29-11 04:20 PM
113 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD