My xp computer didn't get upgraded to vista, my vista computer didn't get upgraded to 7. You know what, they all worked and did what they were suppose to.

Yes I know if you bought in the few months before release you got a free upgrade but some of the systems couldn't handle the upgrade so what was the use in that?
    06-29-11 07:44 AM
    you know, android handset manufacturers definitely have some fault in this situation, however, it's a fairly bad comparison. android is so big at this point and development so UNBELIEVABLY gigantic that my 55 year old mother knows how to install entirely different ported operating systems onto her phone. it's not like blackberry where people wait for a leaked OS people on android are porting entire different ROM's from phone to phone making manufacturer upgrades pretty irrelevant .
    My 37 year old GF has no interest in porting anything onto anything. She just wants the GPS to work and the phone to ring when someone calls. SMS sending and receiving consistently would be appealing to her as well. I wonder if she is a more typical user ir if your mother is. I don't think its your mother but I do agree with 18 above. Try to lighten up a little in some of your posts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 07:47 AM

QNX BB's will support more SDK's , API's etc then that of any other current commercially available OS...
    That, i would believe, if it werent for the super duper paranoid about enterpreneurial security on the consumer market telecommunication company called RIM. They are already trimming down the native sdk, hence the delay. Sure, they obviously will have more APIs and SDKs than the current BB OS, but when it comes to security, RIM puts it over anything else and it already shows with, well... with the ndk. But, you are talking here about an unleashed QNX in all its freedom.

Playbook's OS is and won't be the same as pure QNX, or the QNX used for space missions. Its a trimmed down with more security, more API removals and less juice. We will just have to wait and see with what they come up for the ndk and what's left of the QNX api, i guess time will tell.

But i agree with you in all points there about the QNX "platform".
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 08:00 AM.
    06-29-11 07:57 AM
    That, i would believe, if it werent for the super duper paranoid about enterpreneurial security on the consumer market telecommunication company called RIM. They are already trimming down the native sdk, hence the delay. Sure, they obviously will have more APIs and SDKs than the current BB OS, but when it comes to security, RIM puts it over anything else and it already shows with, well... with the ndk. But, you are talking here about an unleashed QNX in all its freedom.

Playbook's OS is and won't be the same as pure QNX, or the QNX used for space missions. Its a trimmed down with more security, more API removals and less juice. We will just have to wait and see with what they come up for the ndk and what's left of the QNX api, i guess time will tell.

But i agree with you in all points there about the QNX "platform".
    Wow you mean phones and tabs need more security than a nuclear plant or space missions. Guess no one would want to hack those. I'm scared now.
    06-29-11 08:07 AM
    From replies on an earlier thread " What can't you you do on a BB" it's obvious that there isn't anything you can't do to a more or lesser extent on BB, only slower. The limiting factor of BBOS is the hardware it's running on and the fact that nobody wants to develop the top apps for it. The hardware is being remedied by the up coming phones and the apps development by QNX. The main advantage of QNX is the ease of porting over the existing apps to BB which will make it commercially viable for developers. You don't even have to port anything over for android apps, it will run natively out of the box. I'm sure other ios apps could be made to run too! as long as apple don't sue to stop it.

BBOS7 will not stop working when QNX comes out so get what phone suits you and is available at the time your contract comes up and update when a QNX phone comes out. Simples.
    06-29-11 08:15 AM
    Wow you mean phones and tabs need more security than a nuclear plant or space missions. Guess no one would want to hack those. I'm scared now.
    Wow the api is probably more extensive on those as its required, and the OS runs with less errors? yeah... Either way, its a localized application, with more advanced capabilities than your beloved tablet OS by RIM.

Good to see you just paid attention to specific areas and ignored the rest.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 08:24 AM.
    06-29-11 08:20 AM
    I'll definitely be getting myself a Bold 9930, and with it being this performance/communication powerhouse with a 1.2 ghz processor, will it be powerful enough to handle QNX software running on it in the future or will I be confined to bb7 forever?
    06-29-11 08:46 AM
    Wow the api is probably more extensive on those as its required, and the OS runs with less errors? yeah... Either way, its a localized application, with more advanced capabilities than your beloved tablet OS by RIM.

Good to see you just paid attention to specific areas and ignored the rest.
    Sorry as I read it you were saying RIM's version of QNX needs to be more secure. As you stated "with more security" but I'm wrong again. Also was making a joke, guess that didn't come thru either. People get so sensitive on here.

Have a good one.
    06-29-11 08:49 AM
    I'll definitely be getting myself a Bold 9930, and with it being this performance/communication powerhouse with a 1.2 ghz processor, will it be powerful enough to handle QNX software running on it in the future or will I be confined to bb7 forever?
    Everyone on here says it will not because it has to have at least a dual core processor. Of course everyone on here are experts.
    06-29-11 08:50 AM
    Sorry as I read it you were saying RIM's version of QNX needs to be more secure. As you stated "with more security" but I'm wrong again. Also was making a joke, guess that didn't come thru either. People get so sensitive on here.

Have a good one.
    With the bunch of reading disorder fanboys jumping around extracting even the smallest thing about a text to just jump on you, then yes, i get a little annoyed when they quote me and reply to me.

But its cool, no worries.
    06-29-11 08:52 AM
    Gotcha and it's all good.
    06-29-11 08:53 AM
    I dont mean to be NIPSAY NAYSAYER here, but out of all these posts, I have seen one that tells what QNX is capable of over the current OS. That would be running a windows platform and an android platform just by opening a new window. While that is definiteluy impressive, why would BB users want that?

Also, faster loading apps doesnt qualify as a superphone in my opinion. Im just really wondering what the major differences will be....if its speed, then so be it. If its something else, what will that be? Now that QNX phones are being developed, its very interesting to know what we are waiting for. If you compare a PB to the current OS, I dont see what the huge deal is about QNX....sure its fast and smooth, but the user experience is all the same...any thoughts??
    06-29-11 08:53 AM
    It will be interesting to see OS7 and the hardware in those phones stop the hourglass from happening or happening so often and the webpage loading. If OS7 cures most of that I'll be happy for 2 years in my contact.

I think that QNX will also have more eye candy if that matters to you and will probably do a better job with multitasking.
    06-29-11 09:00 AM
    It would be up to RIM to make it so. I mean, in my opinion 1.2ghz is slow, its way below the minimum requirements for the OS. But then again, the requirements are based on the old pentium 4. I dont know how well these ARM processors at 1.2ghz can be compared to an old 2ghz pentium 4.

Everyone on here says it will not because it has to have at least a dual core processor. Of course everyone on here are experts.
    Not that much about dual core, but RAM, dedicated RAM. The current system of 768mb memory where applications and OS are stored in, and the rest 8GB are for pictures and videos, wont work for QNX. Its about customer experience, it probably runs, but too slow compared to lets say, a more powerful phone, specwise. It would be even worse than OS6 on a bold 9700 and the browser closing off on you.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 09:05 AM.
    06-29-11 09:01 AM
    Thanks gbsn, you're the first to mention ram that I've seen. Everyone else says it take at least a dual core processor.
    06-29-11 09:03 AM
    I will go with OS7. The cycle is 2 years on phones then replace the phone. I won't be the first QNX user but my family's phones are at the 2 year mark.

I want a keyboard, a faster processor, reliability, some security, and I have no desire for a quarter million game apps. The OS7 Blackberrys will suit my needs for the next 2 years.

a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 09:05 AM
    I dont mean to be NIPSAY NAYSAYER here, but out of all these posts, I have seen one that tells what QNX is capable of over the current OS. That would be running a windows platform and an android platform just by opening a new window. While that is definiteluy impressive, why would BB users want that?

Also, faster loading apps doesnt qualify as a superphone in my opinion. Im just really wondering what the major differences will be....if its speed, then so be it. If its something else, what will that be? Now that QNX phones are being developed, its very interesting to know what we are waiting for. If you compare a PB to the current OS, I dont see what the huge deal is about QNX....sure its fast and smooth, but the user experience is all the same...any thoughts??
    3 pages of non-answers, and the hits just keep coming.

I'd guess that what you're going to see on a QNX phone that you won't on a BBOS phone is:
    - Lots of on-board storage
    - 4G capability
    - Flash support
    - 8-mp rear camera
    - 3-5-mp front-facing camera
    - Video conferencing capability
    - Hi-def video recording
    - huge and wicked hi-res display
    - Possibly HDMI output

Just my guesses, not to be confused with my personal wish list, because I don't necessarily want any of that on my phone.

06-29-11 09:11 AM
    I just didnt see anything groundbreaking for a "superphone"....

-5mp or 8mp camera?? no big deal to me
    - front camera- What does this have to do with QNX?
    - hi-def recording....coming on 9900, not qnx based
    - 4g- cool
    -flash support - cool

Thanks for the response 18, but I just dont see anythng that differes from what is or can be put out right now...maybe im just expecting too much. I guess ill be getting the bold touch when it drops. That is more than enough phone for me.....now its just a matter of getting a data plan NOW or after July 7th....I just hope 2gb of data is enough for the new bold touch.
    06-29-11 09:16 AM
    QNX is common in cars, so it brings a really good touch experience to the BB. I have heard it also supports a larger address space, so more memory can be supported. Toss in the ability to run Android apps and you have all the features needed to respond to the competition. You're also positioned for tablets, cars (think Ford Sync, GM OnStar, etc.)

06-29-11 09:17 AM
    QNX is common in cars, so it brings a really good touch experience to the BB. I have heard it also supports a larger address space, so more memory can be supported. Toss in the ability to run Android apps and you have all the features needed to respond to the competition. You're also positioned for tablets, cars (think Ford Sync, GM OnStar, etc.)

Better than "liquid graphics"? That would be good!
    06-29-11 09:24 AM
    I'd go for the flash support but not for games as I hardly ever play games. The rest is bah, 4g, myself I don't care, camera's again for me bah I have a decent digital camera if I want to take good pictures I'll use that, ffc bah again will never use it, high def video again bah might be nice sometime?

I know many want these things but for me bah.

Edit: I do think those things should be there for people that want them though.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-29-11 at 09:35 AM. Reason: options
    06-29-11 09:32 AM
    It would be even worse than OS6 on a bold 9700 and the browser closing off on you.
    And THAT's the reason I have to grab an OS7 phone as soon as possible. I am so totally happy with my Bold 9700 on OS6 EXCEPT for the browser problem that RIM refuses to acknowledge or fix (or I guess they can't fix it).

A Bold Touch or Torch with OS7 is likely to be all I need until QNX comes around. I love the way my Bold works with with my Playbook and really don't want to even entertain thoughts of changing away from a BB phone. Problem is that they keep dragging this out and I may not be able to hold out forever. I don't think I'm the only one.

The rumors of a "Superphone" may be able to keep RIM alive long enough to get it released...as long as they don't let too much information leak out about it. The competition needs to be wondering what could be so great about it. People who are on the fence now might go for another BB to tide them over till the "Superphone" comes out. But if that device is a disappointment, RIM could be toast--at least in the consumer market.
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 09:41 AM
    3 pages of non-answers, and the hits just keep coming.

I'd guess that what you're going to see on a QNX phone that you won't on a BBOS phone is:
    - Lots of on-board storage
    - 4G capability
    - Flash support
    - 8-mp rear camera
    - 3-5-mp front-facing camera
    - Video conferencing capability
    - Hi-def video recording
    - huge and wicked hi-res display
    - Possibly HDMI output

Just my guesses, not to be confused with my personal wish list, because I don't necessarily want any of that on my phone.

It will be more stable also, software installation and uninstall is more clean , not needing a reboot for example. Its just the little perks, its mostly how it works. The current java OS can be reworked to do all that, but it would take a lot of work on RIM's part to make it happen. While QNX is more of a breeze in terms of adaptation, for RIM and for other developers, like missing_k-w said. A pure complete java OS is too limited by itself in terms of expansion.

This is a small overview article i found that talks about qnx.
    HOT! QNX Tablet OS - A Deep Dive Into How It Works! - BerryReview

Some of you may not care about these features, but RIM does and is entering the media rich consumer market, if it didn't matter at all to them we would easily be still in OS 5 or 4, which easily fulfills the needs of a phone. QNX could also be seen as an OS to internally make things easier for RIM.

edit:
    Better than "liquid graphics"? That would be good!
    Liquid graphics is just a marketing gimmick for hardware accelerated GUI or a GUI that resembles a very liquid/fluid/non lagged movement. Use the playbook, the GUI is already liquid as is.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 09:54 AM.
    ciscobear and cvdburgh like this.
    06-29-11 09:42 AM
    Good to see some real answers coming through about the actual difference we might see between OS7 & QNX, but still and all: apart from higher speed and fluidity in multitasking, what are we going to be able to do with one that can't be done with the other?
    I guess I just lack the vision needed, but what is there for me to get excited about in the near future? NFC on the 9900/9930 sounds like something that will come in handy in about 5 years, when I'll be able to use it in many places in daily life, but until then? For the most, I want what most people want: just for the tasks that my BB is capable of now to go smoother (and yes, the web-browsing should improve a lot from where my BB9700 is now on OS6).

Seriously, we already are able to do so much that was impossible a mere couple of years ago; where are the next frontiers?

Perhaps time has come to upgrade some of the basic functionality, such as the phone part itself? Mobile phones still have poorer audio and quality of connection than the old-fashioned landline. It is more troublesome and tiresome to use for long conversations and I try to avoid using any type of mobile phone to do any acquisition/salescall by phone. We use increasing amounts of bandwith for all sorts of data, how about snatchin' some of that up to really make calling with these phones the equivalent of landlines or even better? That's not a BB thing, but a mobile-phone market thing, in conjunction with the carriers, but it still something I think should be done. And better to get to the front of the line on that, than to play catch up again...
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 09:53 AM
    Seriously, we already are able to do so much that was impossible a mere couple of years ago; where are the next frontiers?
    Tony Stark's transparent tablet supercomputer.
    06-29-11 10:02 AM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD