Can someone please explain what a QNX device can do Vs. a device with OS7?

I just dont know and would appreciate some help. Do I wait for a QNX device if they are coming out in late 2011 or early 2012??

Thanks in advance
    06-28-11 12:52 PM
    That's actually an excellent question that really hasn't been talked about much. All we hear is that QNX will be the salvation of RIM, but nobody has actually dissected exactly why. Supposedly BBOS is too antiquated a platform to do what a 'superphone' needs to be able to do. There's another thread around here somewhere where howarmat listed a bunch of things that Android can do but BBOS cannot; I'm guessing they're possibly platform limitations that aren't there with QNX, or at least that QNX is better suited to handle efficiently.

Personally, BBOS already does all that I need a phone to do. If these OS7 devices do what current devices do only more quickly and smoothly, I don't see myself needing or wanting a 'superphone'. I hope I'm in the minority, or else RIM will be in the process of spending a LOT of time, money and resources on something not many people are going to buy.

edit: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/so-w...crackberry.com
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 06-28-11 at 03:32 PM.
    ritesh likes this.
    06-28-11 03:29 PM
    I would love to hear what Kevin or Bla1ze would have to say about this! Did they bring QNX on board to make it a more app friendly platform and compete with apple and android or after QNX is on a bb hh will we see more of the same just a little different version!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 03:37 PM
    Well TO ME OS7 doesn't seem too impressive, a mere better browsing experience, NFC and HD graphics? I will wait on QNX. If you've used a PB, you can see the potential QNX would have for phones, its the way our phones should run, not hourglass after hourglass and frequent sticks and freezes.....

Apps install so fast on a PB, no reboot needed......My Torch feels like Vista now compared to my PB feeling like Windows 7
    06-28-11 08:46 PM
    Well TO ME OS7 doesn't seem too impressive, a mere better browsing experience, NFC and HD graphics? I will wait on QNX. If you've used a PB, you can see the potential QNX would have for phones, its the way our phones should run, not hourglass after hourglass and frequent sticks and freezes.....

Apps install so fast on a PB, no reboot needed......My Torch feels like Vista now compared to my PB feeling like Windows 7
    Tough time to be a BB fan! basically what people are saying and also the way I feel is our current BB is out of date, 9930/9900 which seems nice is a dead end device and we have no idea what to expect(will we actually see apps developed for QNX like iOS and android) or when to expect QNX. I have no idea what iOS5 all has coming, but if they are targeting some of the things that BB was superior to iOS and make improvements that could take even more of what little market share is left! I have to admit, it would be nice to have a device come out, purchase it and know it will be supported for the 2 year contract period!
    06-28-11 09:00 PM
    QNX is definitely a more robust OS platform than BB OS. However, unless it has better third party app support and better email support than BB OS, that may not matter. It's also possible that QNX may offer an inferior user experience to those BB users who love the keyboard and associated UI.

What has kept me on the BB platform is the ability to operate a BB one handed. I can be making a call on one of my BBs while reading email on the other one. Hard to do with an iPhone.
    06-28-11 09:00 PM
    The physical keyboard won't go anywhere,they will have a phone for every segment....The problem is while RIM maybe testing QNX on a phone right now, other players are releasing phones, fast phones, capable phones......phones with all the bells and whistles.

The turnaround cycle is too slow, remember only RIM makes BB phones...so we see at most three phones a year? How much did we see this year? I honestly just want them to turn things around and shut these media houses up. Really sick of the easy bashing stories....

I've gotta ask, who runs their marketing though? or lack thereof? very poor
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-28-11 09:22 PM
    The physical keyboard won't go anywhere,they will have a phone for every segment....The problem is while RIM maybe testing QNX on a phone right now, other players are releasing phones, fast phones, capable phones......phones with all the bells and whistles.

The turnaround cycle is too slow, remember only RIM makes BB phones...so we see at most three phones a year? How much did we see this year? I honestly just want them to turn things around and shut these media houses up. Really sick of the easy bashing stories....

I've gotta ask, who runs their marketing though? or lack thereof? very poor
    They don't have to have a crazy fast turnaround. They have to release quality phones that will have support for a couple years! That's the biggest problem, as nice as the 9930 looks, a lot of people are on the fence about getting it because it could be a dead end device. Iphone and Droids receive software upgrades well into there 2nd year of running. Look at iphone 4. They will pick up iOS5. Thats huge! Not feeling like an upgrade is always needed! In a weird way BB has gotten to the point where people are so worried about the phone being behind on tech and not being supported that they wait even longer for the next best thing. Other platforms, esp iOS, that doesn't seem to be the case!
    06-28-11 09:29 PM
    ciscobear, I feel the same way. I love my torch and don't need the next phone but QNX may have a place for people that are not typical bb users. I am hoping that the QNX line will be an addition not a replacement of the bb line.
    The OS7 developers conference tomorrow may shed some light on this.
    Either way, I'll be getting the bold touch or the torch 2, whichever goes to sprint first. I'm ready to leave ATT for not approving the bridge app.
    06-28-11 09:31 PM
    Tough time to be a BB fan! basically what people are saying and also the way I feel is our current BB is out of date, 9930/9900 which seems nice is a dead end device and we have no idea what to expect(will we actually see apps developed for QNX like iOS and android) or when to expect QNX. I have no idea what iOS5 all has coming, but if they are targeting some of the things that BB was superior to iOS and make improvements that could take even more of what little market share is left! I have to admit, it would be nice to have a device come out, purchase it and know it will be supported for the 2 year contract period!
    I just don't get where people keep calling these 'dead-end' phones. The notion that they'll stop supporting OS7 the second the QNX phones drop is simply absurd. The QNX handhelds are going to be an entirely new class of phone for RIM. They've acknowledged that their own high-end phones are outclassed by those of the competition, including the soon-to-be-released OS7 phones. The QNX phones are expected to compete directly with the best of the competition, but they surely are not going to completely and instantly replace everything else, no more than the OS6 Torch and Bolds replaced everything that came before them. Please people, let's try to get just a little bit real here.

And knowing what those QNX phones might be packing, I'm still going to grab me one of the OS7's as soon as they drop ... and I figure out which one I want.
    kbz1960 and grover5 like this.
    06-28-11 09:32 PM
    ciscobear, I feel the same way. I love my torch and don't need the next phone but QNX may have a place for people that are not typical bb users. I am hoping that the QNX line will be an addition not a replacement of the bb line.
    The OS7 developers conference tomorrow may shed some light on this.
    Either way, I'll be getting the bold touch or the torch 2, whichever goes to sprint first. I'm ready to leave ATT for not approving the bridge app.
    06-28-11 09:32 PM
    I just don't get where people keep calling these 'dead-end' phones. The notion that they'll stop supporting OS7 the second the QNX phones drop is simply absurd. The QNX handhelds are going to be an entirely new class of phone for RIM. They've acknowledged that their own high-end phones are outclassed by those of the competition, including the soon-to-be-released OS7 phones. The QNX phones are expected to compete directly with the best of the competition, but they surely are not going to completely and instantly replace everything else, no more than the OS6 Torch and Bolds replaced everything that came before them. Please people, let's try to get just a little bit real here.

And knowing what those QNX phones might be packing, I'm still going to grab me one of the OS7's as soon as they drop ... and I figure out which one I want.
    That is like saying the people that have an iphone 4 shouldn't expect the iOS5 on their devices. I have no problem with os7, but if they would have actually used their heads they should be making these os7 lines QNX upgradable for sometime next year. You should be able to have a phone for 1.5 to 2 years and be running the current os of that platform. It is being done for both android and apple. So yes, to some the 9930 will be a dead end device! I know companies like to keep things under lock and key until release time. But for the mess RIM has created, I can't help but feel as a customer I am owed maybe some insight on their direction! It would be nice to know more on QNX. What will make it so great on hh? I know I am actually not owed anything by RIM, but I can't help but feel this way! But hey, if I don't like it go to another platform right.....
    Last edited by jebulls; 06-28-11 at 10:00 PM.
    06-28-11 09:51 PM
    Other than the all the reasons why QNX would be better, I'd also like to point out that a phone running the same OS as the tablet, would mean more apps for both devices, devs can write code one time and easily port it between the two devices. Also they would work together better. QNX is future-proof a long time.
    ciscobear likes this.
    06-28-11 10:15 PM
    Even if we think about appeal.....I'm not a fan of coloured devices but the consumer market is yearning for it, why still only a black PB? No white ? no Red to match the phone line? We all know ppl like to look trendy carrying the latest.

To the guys/gals going with an OS7 phone, how come? When I went to OS6, I liked the whole "proper" touch concept that came and Universal Search. Storm click touch was a joke. Seriously when I used Storm 1, I really wondered how anyone could launch that product, Storm 2 was a bit better but still more of the same.

Just would like to hear some views on going OS7
    06-28-11 10:52 PM
    I think RIM should start thinking some like Apple. Build a great phone that is able to get at least two software updates.
    Look at the BlackBerry Torch, just OS 6 & done
    Personally I can't wait till the BlackBerry Bold 9900 come out, but I won't
    Buy it without having a really good deal. OS7 phones probably won't see
    Qnx.

I'll just wait..............

jebulls likes this.
    06-28-11 10:58 PM
    That is like saying the people that have an iphone 4 shouldn't expect the iOS5 on their devices. I have no problem with os7, but if they would have actually used their heads they should be making these os7 lines QNX upgradable for sometime next year. You should be able to have a phone for 1.5 to 2 years and be running the current os of that platform. It is being done for both android and apple. So yes, to some the 9930 will be a dead end device! I know companies like to keep things under lock and key until release time. But for the mess RIM has created, I can't help but feel as a customer I am owed maybe some insight on their direction! It would be nice to know more on QNX. What will make it so great on hh? I know I am actually not owed anything by RIM, but I can't help but feel this way! But hey, if I don't like it go to another platform right.....
    I don't think the android phone manufacturers do as good a job of updating to the latest OS as this statement suggests.
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-28-11 11:02 PM
    I think less is more look at Apple just one phone a year and they have great success! I say bring the QNX and improve on it from year to year with about two devices a touch screen and a keyboard model both of which need to be competitive with the top models.
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 12:21 AM
    They don't have to have a crazy fast turnaround. They have to release quality phones that will have support for a couple years! That's the biggest problem, as nice as the 9930 looks, a lot of people are on the fence about getting it because it could be a dead end device. Iphone and Droids receive software upgrades well into there 2nd year of running. Look at iphone 4. They will pick up iOS5. Thats huge! Not feeling like an upgrade is always needed! In a weird way BB has gotten to the point where people are so worried about the phone being behind on tech and not being supported that they wait even longer for the next best thing. Other platforms, esp iOS, that doesn't seem to be the case!
    The Bold 9000 can go from 4.6 to 5, the 9700 goes from 5 to 6. So it isn't exactly true that rim doesn't support devices across different revisions.

Part of the problem is lack of foresight - 9700 has so little memory, upgrading to 6 gave it little room to do much else.
    Part of it is that not every carrier releases updates.
    Part of it is that rim isn't all that quick at releasing updates.

a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 12:37 AM

In my opinion if RIM had any vision whatsoever, they'd not only scrap the 10" tablet, but all os7 devices period. you say the idea of them not supporting them when qnx handsets arrive is crazy, but RIM's support simply is moot here, developers will 100% bail. developing for blackberry is a crazy insanely expensive and time consuming task relative to iOS and Android and if you think anyone doing it now would like to continue, it is YOU who is insane. Whether or not RIM continues to do so will not even be of relevance because you'll have an OS that NOBODY is making anything for, which is already a problem currently, i can't imagine what it'll be like for people who adopt os7, either knowingly, or unknowingly purchasing a 1 generation device. qnx is RIM's baby, while i personally think it'll be too late by that point and die, the fact of the matter is i can't really see RIM being able to juggle support for 2 platforms, they've gotta put everything they have into QNX otherwise it's definitely doomed.
    a41.8tqm likes this.
    06-29-11 03:25 AM
    I don't think the android phone manufacturers do as good a job of updating to the latest OS as this statement suggests.
    you know, android handset manufacturers definitely have some fault in this situation, however, it's a fairly bad comparison. android is so big at this point and development so UNBELIEVABLY gigantic that my 55 year old mother knows how to install entirely different ported operating systems onto her phone. it's not like blackberry where people wait for a leaked OS people on android are porting entire different ROM's from phone to phone making manufacturer upgrades pretty irrelevant .
    06-29-11 03:31 AM
    Has there ever been concrete confirmation QNX will even be on BB smartphones? Everyone wants to believe it, but I half wonder if RIM will be following Microsoft's footsteps; have you noticed that they will not put the WP7 OS on a tablet? I don't think its totally impossible for RIM to decide to also keep their tablet and phone OSes seperate. If we knew that was the case, would BBOS7 sound so awful? I'm still fairly new to the world of Blackberry so I'm not up to date on what's solid and what's rumor :/

Last edited by BitPusher2600; 06-29-11 at 06:07 AM.
    06-29-11 06:01 AM
    QNX aka POSIX aka Linux. Open source is allot better. I know there's an OpenQNX somewhere... lol

I'll love one of those devices to hack around once they're out

OS 7 is basically likely built on top of a Linux kernel, if it's ever so stable. I think it is, like the initrd likely spotted on apploader when loading an OS, the part where it says "uploading RAM image".
    06-29-11 06:06 AM
    In my opinion if RIM had any vision whatsoever, they'd not only scrap the 10" tablet, but all os7 devices period. you say the idea of them not supporting them when qnx handsets arrive is crazy, but RIM's support simply is moot here, developers will 100% bail. developing for blackberry is a crazy insanely expensive and time consuming task relative to iOS and Android and if you think anyone doing it now would like to continue, it is YOU who is insane. Whether or not RIM continues to do so will not even be of relevance because you'll have an OS that NOBODY is making anything for, which is already a problem currently, i can't imagine what it'll be like for people who adopt os7, either knowingly, or unknowingly purchasing a 1 generation device. qnx is RIM's baby, while i personally think it'll be too late by that point and die, the fact of the matter is i can't really see RIM being able to juggle support for 2 platforms, they've gotta put everything they have into QNX otherwise it's definitely doomed.
    I'm talking about RIM supporting these devices, not developer support. Good lord, developer support is already pitiful as it is and can't get too much worse. And do you have to be so totally negative in every one of your posts?

Has there ever been concrete confirmation QNX will even be on BB smartphones? Everyone wants to believe it, but I half wonder if RIM will be following Microsoft's footsteps; have you noticed that they will not put the WP7 OS on a tablet? I don't think its totally impossible for RIM to decide to also keep their tablet and phone OSes seperate. If we knew that was the case, would BBOS7 sound so awful?

RIM has come out and said several times that QNX on high-end handhelds is the plan. In fact it's been posted all over this site just yesterday that they've stopped development of a 10" PlayBook to concentrate on getting the first QNX phone out ASAP. BBOS as we know it is going to be around for quite awhile; it's on way too many devices that are working perfectly well for millions of users to be going away. But QNX is definitely coming to BB phones. I'm thinking they're going to end up with a mix of phone OS's, similar to where Nokia is going to be shortly.
    06-29-11 06:10 AM
    Somebody should let RIM see the beginning of Half Life 2, with a little alteration:

" Rise and shine RIM, Rise and shine.
    Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job,
    No one is more deserving of a rest and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste..... until..... well let's just say your hour has come again.....
    The right OS on the right Phone, can make all the difference in the world.
    So wake up RIM, wake up and smell the ashes"
    06-29-11 07:12 AM
    Can someone please explain what a QNX device can do Vs. a device with OS7?

I just dont know and would appreciate some help. Do I wait for a QNX device if they are coming out in late 2011 or early 2012??

Thanks in advance
    Just to give a glimpse of how capable a QNX device could be....

QNX BB's could have the capability to run windows mobile 7 and ios, and will run android. All 3 OS's in their entirety in unison on one device in their own environments all in real time only limited by hardware could operate on one device! ....now this was just an example...This capability is a reality in the potential.....
    ....All this capability with only requiring opening a new window

What many consider to be cutting edge in ios and Android was being supported by QNX 15-20 years ago...In the most cutting edge, state of the art in computer sciences... One should be aware that we as consumers are in a market delivery delay in the consumer market from what is currently state of the art outside the realms of consumer/civilian market places

BB OS vs QNX

QNX OS> architecture supports software capabilities that far exceed anything in consumer existence and will give RIM the luxury of only having to focus on software layers

BB OS> requires reengineering of the OS architecture to remain current in regards of consumer software support capabilities...

Now on the competitive front...

QNX BB's will support more SDK's , API's etc then that of any other current commercially available OS...
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 06-29-11 at 04:29 PM.
    Cherman likes this.
    06-29-11 07:39 AM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD