Hi everyone,

I just had to share this! I was cleaning up my basement recently and stumbled upon a box of old floppy disks. I found a dusty old disk labelled "QNX OS" and sparkles started to dance before my eyes. Could this really be? I dug up my old Dell laptop which still had a floppy drive and booted up the floppy! Whoa! 15 years old and still going strong. I filmed the QNX OS Demo so you could see for yourself. I couldn't throw out this amazing piece of BlackBerry OS 10 history. In case you don't remember, floppy disks hold 1.44mb, about the average size of 1 photo on your phone. Yes, that's right.... 1 entire floppy disk would only hold 1 photo!

Well, hang on to your seats....

08-04-14 11:06 PM
    surprised the floppy worked. But very cool.
    08-04-14 11:14 PM
    Yes me too.... I have actually found floppies to be more reliable than burned CD's, strangely enough. I guess because the data density is so low, there is less that can go wrong. But you are right, if you have a misaligned head on your floppy drive, sometimes you can only read the floppy on the original computer you wrote it on. I managed to copy most of my floppies over to CD and now to HD/flash since you can't get floppy drives easily anymore. However, this QNX boot-disk will only work on a floppy running on an old PC (maybe it will run on a virtual machine too?) so I had to get a video of it running before this technology completely faded into oblivion.
    08-04-14 11:24 PM
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. I remember the days of "insert disk 3 of 8".

Posted via CB10
    MiyakSk33 and 3_M4N like this.
    08-04-14 11:24 PM
    Hi everyone,

I just had to share this! I was cleaning up my basement recently and stumbled upon a box of old floppy disks. I found a dusty old disk labelled "QNX OS" and sparkles started to dance before my eyes. Could this really be? I dug up my old Dell laptop which still had a floppy drive and booted up the floppy! Whoa! 15 years old and still going strong. I filmed the QNX OS Demo so you could see for yourself. I couldn't throw out this amazing piece of BlackBerry OS 10 history. In case you don't remember, floppy disks hold 1.44mb, about the average size of 1 photo on your phone. Yes, that's right.... 1 entire floppy disk would only hold 1 photo!

Well, hang on to your seats....

Thanks for taking the time in creating the video. It's truly amazing to see this.

I have friends that took Qnx courses in University and was envious. What's more interesting is how QNX advanced after 1999. It is optimized for multicore, it's optimized for security. It's so lean and efficient and stable. Drivers are even loaded outside the kernel.

Blackberry took that efficient design and added an innovative Hub, and peek features. They added some TAT concepts, the fastest html5browser on the planet, multiple runtime environments and massive security. It's as close to perfection as possible.

The only shame is that the world doesn't see this. BlackBerry didn't yet get the reward they deserved.

I'm standing by them 100%. Fight the ignorance!!

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 11:30 AM
    BlackBerry does not have the fastest browser and BlackBerry 10 us definitely not optimized. Just look at the memory retirements for BlackBerry OS 10.

Almost 2 years after launch the requirement us now 1.5GB for a low end device.

Run any browser benchmark on other devices and let me know when you find out where it outperforms the competition.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 12:52 PM
    the fastest html5browser on the planet
    I'm amazed by such ignorance. Stop it, it really isn't.

Ps: I am talking from my own experience, using multiple platforms.
    Ps2: html5 implementations score != html5 performance

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 01:30 PM
    Hi everyone,

I just had to share this! I was cleaning up my basement recently and stumbled upon a box of old floppy disks. I found a dusty old disk labelled "QNX OS" and sparkles started to dance before my eyes. Could this really be? I dug up my old Dell laptop which still had a floppy drive and booted up the floppy! Whoa! 15 years old and still going strong. I filmed the QNX OS Demo so you could see for yourself. I couldn't throw out this amazing piece of BlackBerry OS 10 history. In case you don't remember, floppy disks hold 1.44mb, about the average size of 1 photo on your phone. Yes, that's right.... 1 entire floppy disk would only hold 1 photo...
    Did you make a backup of the floppy did? Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
    08-05-14 01:56 PM
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. I remember the days of "insert disk 3 of 8".

Posted via CB10
    Doom or Duke Nukem?
    08-05-14 03:36 PM
    Did you make a backup of the floppy did? Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
    08-05-14 03:44 PM
    I already posted this video this morning.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 03:49 PM
    I already posted this video this morning.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe look at the threads in the first page next time?
    08-05-14 03:53 PM
    This may be of interest to some...

QNX DEMO disk

The link goes to http://qnx.puslapiai.lt/qnxdemo/qnx_demo_disk.htm which has an ISO of some QNX demo disks, including one with network support.
    08-05-14 04:05 PM
    Maybe look at the threads in the first page next time?
    Yeah...I did. never saw this.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 04:35 PM
    I'm amazed by such ignorance. Stop it, it really isn't.

Ps: I am talking from my own experience, using multiple platforms.
    Ps2: html5 implementations score != html5 performance

Posted via CB10
    OK ok.. i'll trade you the fastest html5 browser for a crazy fast "most compliant html5 browser" that does adobe flash too, and then raise you best multitasking, best virtual keyboard, best radio (Paratek) and amazing battery life.

My point is qnx is brilliant and Blackberry did an amazing job with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 09:03 PM