I've been seeing some vehicles lately with screens on the dash that seem like QNX. They are new vehicles...2012 models. If it is QNX, does that mean RIM made money cause the car company paid them so they could have QNX in the cars? Or is QNX still technically different company that operates on a different profit or something?
    I know RIM bought QNX but does that mean everytime someone like Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Ram has QNX in their vehicles, RIM got money from it?
    If so, I really think they should advertise it as a RIM or blackberry product...
    Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM is without a doubt the best Automaker on earth. I think RIM should team up with them and feature BB10 as the software in the vehicle's.
    The vehicles, especially SRT models, have features that can track your best acceleration, lap times, breaking times, etc. This would make blackberry look very cool if they badged the software as a RIM or Blackberry product.
    I have a 2012 Charger SRT8 and I sure wouldn't mind seeing the blackberry logo showing up on the screen sometimes!

For those of you who don't know, Chrysler/Dodge / Jeep / RAM is all the same company...that's why I said "It is without THE best Automaker on earth".
    06-10-12 08:32 PM
    If QNX makes money, I believe RIM makes money, as the one is wholly owned by the other. I don't know if any of those concept cars are making money for QNX/RIM, but someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    06-10-12 08:34 PM
    QNX is the underlying operating system in a lot of cars already they put their own UI on top of it. Its probably a license type deal for the software. Chrysler is already running qnx in their cars........... as for them switching over to bb10 that remains to be ssen in the future
    Last edited by mooda; 06-10-12 at 09:23 PM.
    06-10-12 09:13 PM
    QNX is the underlying operating system in a lot of cars already they put their own UI on top of it. Its probably i license type deal for the software. Chrysler is already running qnx in their cars........... as for them switching over to bb1o that remains to be ssen in the future
    Yes please =)
    06-10-12 09:14 PM
    I hope they start calling it a RIM product. That would really boost their image and popularity I think.
    06-11-12 07:05 AM
    Not only on "THE best Automaker on earth" (I have a 2011 Challenger), but on 200+ models. And of course, there are the medical devices and other uses.

QNX Automotive Services
    With 30 years of experience under our belt, we’ve learned a thing or two about building reliable, compelling in-vehicle systems that are on-spec, on-budget, and on time. In fact, we’re the automotive industry leader with more vehicle models (200+) shipped than with all other platforms combined.
    06-11-12 08:40 AM
    Not only on "THE best Automaker on earth" (I have a 2011 Challenger), but on 200+ models. And of course, there are the medical devices and other uses.

QNX Automotive Services
    Very true.
    What challenger do you have? R/T? SRT8?
    06-11-12 02:27 PM
    There are multiple problems with RIM imposing their branding on QNX Automotive.
    1. If QNX-Auto is too closely associated with Blackberry, potential auto buyers will wonder if their non-Blackberry devices will work with it
    2. Blackberry, sadly, is a brand in decline at the moment; it does not help QNX market to its own clients and would likely not make the brand more attractive to consumers
    3. QNX works with Apple and other device manufacturers to provide device integration in its auto systems. Associating with Blackberry too closely might jeopardize the relationships that QNX needs to maintain for that to keep working.

This is an AWESOME space for RIM to be a part of, and it likely IS a source of profit for them, but it might just be a bit of a minefield.
    06-11-12 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD