Business as usual for QNX, ensuring continued support of new processors for embedded systems.

QNX Platform to Support New Intel� Atom� Processor Family

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    eddy_berry, badiyee and zyben like this.
    10-15-13 05:31 PM
    Good catch. Glad to see QNX keep moving.
    10-15-13 05:35 PM
    Nice find but just note some key words,"Targeted at the embedded market"

This is not for BB10 for anyone wondering.
    10-15-13 05:39 PM
    hey, its a good payback at Texas Instrument, the way I see things. (TI ditched the business and declared that they'll be solely targetting the embedded chips / electronic business)

anyways, add on:

keyword searches produces this:

E3800 processor / embedded systems family leads to this:
    Intel launches Atom E3800 embedded processors
    and this:
    First Embedded Designs With Intel Atom Processor E3800 Family - Yahoo Finance

(I suggest you read them both in order to gain a picture, although somewhat limited)
    (those news are 6 days ago)

and this pdf from INTEL about the E3800 family;
    http://web.arrownac.com/sites/defaul..._in_retail.PDF

So, sounds like QNX responded fast to the Bay Trail Family chips for embedded systems. So QNX isn't any more ARM-exclusive?
    jay_men likes this.
    10-15-13 09:49 PM
    Business as usual for QNX, ensuring continued support of new processors for embedded systems.

QNX Platform to Support New Intel� Atom™ Processor Family

This is a quote form the article above^.
    >>"QNX Software Systems has supported Intel architecture for 30 years and is a long-standing member of the Intel Intelligent Systems Alliance, an ecosystem designed to provide customers with a trusted supply line of Intel-based products and services. The alliance has recognized QNX Software Systems for its Intel Atom processor support with an “Award of Excellence, Most Innovative Software for the Intel Atom Processor.” >>

QNX fascinates me...!
    10-15-13 10:09 PM
    It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future as more importance is placed on embedded systems for the advancement of the "internet of things". Hopefully BlackBerry finds a way to push the envolope for everyones benefit and monetize this area as needed to help them "keep moving" if that is still there motto.

10-15-13 10:49 PM
    It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future as more importance is placed on embedded systems for the advancement of the "internet of things". Hopefully BlackBerry finds a way to push the envolope for everyones benefit and monetize this area as needed to help them "keep moving" if that is still there motto.

actually i'm surprised that BlackBerry did not adopt the "let's wait for 1 generation to pass by" on this. It really is different from the overall strategy of 'going 1 generation behind', for many of their things. (not to say they are retroactively going back, more of like they'll prefer to take any thing that's 1 generation behind, and then work on it, for whatever reasons, be it cost, maturity, efficiency, proven, etc)
    10-15-13 11:17 PM
    actually i'm surprised that BlackBerry did not adopt the "let's wait for 1 generation to pass by" on this. It really is different from the overall strategy of 'going 1 generation behind', for many of their things. (not to say they are retroactively going back, more of like they'll prefer to take any thing that's 1 generation behind, and then work on it, for whatever reasons, be it cost, maturity, efficiency, proven, etc)
    1 generation??? Intel Atom's been around for 5 years. They're on like their 4th generation of Atom chips.
    10-15-13 11:25 PM
    1 generation??? Intel Atom's been around for 5 years. They're on like their 4th generation of Atom chips.
    sigh. I'm not saying that they went and discount on the entire Atom line up.

Look at the parts in the phones that BlackBerry has been using, at the time of phone release. I don't think they were actually at "cutting edge", with exception of the PlayBook (announced with cutting edge, but released being 1 generation behind other tablets)

And that being the trend, I'm surprised because the newer Atoms were released to the market not very long ago, but now QNX is already putting its support on those devices, primarily more when in the past QNX has always been pro / leaning towards ARM devices. Will they work their magic on the E3800 Atom based processors?
    10-16-13 01:27 AM
    So QNX isn't any more ARM-exclusive?
    It's never been. First time QNX impressed me was in a univ lab when it booted up on a Cyrix 686, with full GUI/window manager, network stack, even graphical internet browser was included, and all this booted in less than a minute from a flopy disk, around the mid-90s...

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-16-13 02:16 AM
    wow, it sounds so advanced, i remember that era as a child
    10-16-13 03:21 AM
    sigh. I'm not saying that they went and discount on the entire Atom line up.

Look at the parts in the phones that BlackBerry has been using, at the time of phone release. I don't think they were actually at "cutting edge", with exception of the PlayBook (announced with cutting edge, but released being 1 generation behind other tablets)

And that being the trend, I'm surprised because the newer Atoms were released to the market not very long ago, but now QNX is already putting its support on those devices, primarily more when in the past QNX has always been pro / leaning towards ARM devices. Will they work their magic on the E3800 Atom based processors?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's more to do with the optimization for the number of cores which is currently for dual cores. It was said somewhere that QNX will support quad cores later this year. Not sure how the number of cores works with embedded systems but I imagine the use case for quad core is not there yet??

10-16-13 05:52 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's more to do with the optimization for the number of cores which is currently for dual cores. It was said somewhere that QNX will support quad cores later this year. Not sure how the number of cores works with embedded systems but I imagine the use case for quad core is not there yet??

Yes, I remember this being the case as well, where the reason they didn't bring in a quad core device was because the OS wasn't that optimized yet for quadcore (though technically the OS can be run up to like, 72 cores?)
    10-16-13 06:59 AM
    Maybe this will pave the road to a BB10 computing platform that can run legacy windows programs.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 08:06 AM
    I'm waiting for win 8 tablets coming with the new Atom chips. Be cool if BBRY supported the chips too.
    10-16-13 08:07 AM