This would give users who want a BlackBerry but their company isn't going to invest in BES, or even BES Xpress the same functionality as the other SmartPhones. One less bullet point to move away from the BlackBerry.

I would think that RIM could make it so that if a QNX phone connects to a BES it disables ActiveSync so that it could utilize the extra security and features of a BES. This would help sales, because you would not lose that potential sale due to an item that most people have no control over which is a company not utilizing a BES. Not to mention ActiveSync is becoming the standard for smart phones.

My 2 cents worth. It is a sore subject but I don't think it gets addressed enough.
    08-18-11 10:14 AM
    It's coming to BB7 phones. I was at the Microsoft Tempe offices this week and it was stated that RIM has until the end of the year to complete it. I have heard rumpled that QNX will be out by then but they are rumors. It's going totaled a while for them to come to market based on history.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 10:04 PM
    It's coming to BB7 phones. I was at the Microsoft Tempe offices this week and it was stated that RIM has until the end of the year to complete it. I have heard rumpled that QNX will be out by then but they are rumors. It's going totaled a while for them to come to market based on history.

or what???
    08-20-11 10:06 PM
    MS is stopping hosted BES functionality in hosted environments. BB has to go ActiveSync or not be supported in hosted Exchange.

08-21-11 01:52 AM
    This is such a no brainer I'm completely stunned EAS functionality hasn't been added to BBs a long time ago. BES is clearly a barrier for many people when it comes to owning a BB for one simple reason - they can't make their company install a BES!

And guess what, BIS is terrible. I would know because I used it for a while after my Treo 755p died. There was no real syncing of email - it was just a dump and run. I hated it. Fortunately, I was able to convince my company to get the free BES up and running, but it was not without a lot of effort and lobbying. If I weren't fairly high up in rank in my firm, my chances of getting a BES server would be slim to none.

If I knew how BIS worked when I was looking to replace my Treo, I'd have never purchased a BB. I could have bought an iPhone or Android and hooked right into my firm's EAS without any problems. Heck, even my aging Treo did a better job syncing and organizing mail than my Bold 9650 on BIS.

Yet somebody at RIM thought that sticking with BES (and not providing EAS functionalty) was a good strategic decision. How this happens is beyond me. Hubris? Lack of vision? Not focused on the customer? Who knows - I just want better decisions out of RIM that expand, rather than limit, my options.
    09-19-11 10:05 PM
    BES is not a bad strategy especially considering the security and control it gives the organization. But it should not be the only strategy, they should either A have BIS able to provide EAS for the device or B the device have built in EAS capability. Then if the organization has a BES then the BES would over ride the EAS for the organization.

This is just another reason BlackBerry has lost people, and is probably a bigger reason than people let on. Think a small organization that either has a SBS or hosted exchange does not want to hear added cost just to use BlackBerry, they will just go to the path of least resistance.
    09-20-11 06:32 AM
    BES is already in closed beta with Office 365 in the cloud. Also if its hooking directly into Microsoft's cloud servers then this is all being done with Microsoft.

So I doubt what you're saying is correct.
    09-20-11 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD