We are all waiting for the QNX OS on the new BB phones, but we know little to nothing about it - it could be disastrous!

What do you hope it looks and feels like? A similar feel to OS6 or do you want a mini PlayBook to make phone calls on?
    06-13-11 11:03 AM
    Im actually kind of curious how they will implement the gestures on a phone. I hope they dont plan on having 1" bezel's on their phones! They have a year to figure that out though.
    06-13-11 12:12 PM
    There Can Be Only ONE - BlackBerry 7 to merge the Best of BlackBerry 6.1 and QNX?! | CrackBerry.com

Here is where they were heading, just replace 6.1 with 7, and 7 with 8.
    06-13-11 02:19 PM
    I want them to copy apple's auto imessage situation. That's genius and seamless. It would really make BBM much better and easier to use. Honestly.

You can flame me all day for the above comment, but the PIN system blows and is too complicated for the MAJORITY CONSUMER MARKET (which is what RIM needs to focus on.)
    06-13-11 03:53 PM
    I want them to copy apple's auto imessage situation. That's genius and seamless. It would really make BBM much better and easier to use. Honestly.

You can flame me all day for the above comment, but the PIN system blows and is too complicated for the MAJORITY CONSUMER MARKET (which is what RIM needs to focus on.)
    text messages over the character limit need to be automatically split and combined for this to work seamlessly
    06-13-11 04:42 PM
    text messages over the character limit need to be automatically split and combined for this to work seamlessly
    uh???? BBM isn't text messaging, it's BBM. iMessage isn't text messaging, it's iMessage. Both are instant messaging programs. iMessage automatically detects if a user is on an iOS device and switches it over to iMessage if they are.

BBM should do this.
    06-13-11 04:51 PM
    uh???? BBM isn't text messaging, it's BBM. iMessage isn't text messaging, it's iMessage. Both are instant messaging programs. iMessage automatically detects if a user is on an iOS device and switches it over to iMessage if they are.

BBM should do this.
    I think he meant that if the user sends a message via a method that automatically chooses, and the contact doesn't have BBM, then when it's automatically sent as a text message instead, it will chop it into multiple text messages (although I'd sooner just send it as MMS, I don't know if there's any phones left out there that don't support MMS).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-13-11 at 05:06 PM.
    06-13-11 05:03 PM

BBM should do this.
    If you have iMessages and you send me a message, on my BB, I'll get a SMS. If you de the same to somebody on an iPhone, then the person gets an IM message. Read the reviews carefully.

Yes, it would be a nice thing to have, but I can do without. I'd rather se front face cameras and video chat. Ultra fast NOCs so the browsing experience does not feel like it does now.

And apps. All the apps we already have running on QNX with updated UIs + MANY MANY more apps (business ones too, the ones we have are just on the ok level).
    06-13-11 05:39 PM
    I think he meant that if the user sends a message via a method that automatically chooses, and the contact doesn't have BBM, then when it's automatically sent as a text message instead, it will chop it into multiple text messages (although I'd sooner just send it as MMS, I don't know if there's any phones left out there that don't support MMS).
    On the last update of my 9650 it addressed the multiple text message issue.
    06-13-11 05:42 PM
    On the last update of my 9650 it addressed the multiple text message issue.
    no what i meant is if the delivery method is chosen automatically, then all outgoing sms over the character limit should be automatically split when sent, and all incoming sms that are split (by the sender's phone) need to be recombined.
    06-13-11 05:55 PM
    no what i meant is if the delivery method is chosen automatically, then all outgoing sms over the character limit should be automatically split when sent, and all incoming sms that are split (by the sender's phone) need to be recombined.
    I'm sorry, I guess I'm lost. I am talking about an instant messenger program. The text message situation that you are talking about has not been a problem since the last update I got, 2 weeks ago.

If something automatically chooses, then the text messaging isn't an issue because if the person doesn't have a BB then it will text people just as it already does.

So talking about text messages is a moot point because text messaging already works on our phones.
    06-13-11 06:26 PM
    Honestly the Qnx OS layout is very similar to this OS7, I just hope the OS after 7 allows for android apps and the playbooks true multitasking.
    06-13-11 06:56 PM
    I'm sorry, I guess I'm lost. I am talking about an instant messenger program. The text message situation that you are talking about has not been a problem since the last update I got, 2 weeks ago.

If something automatically chooses, then the text messaging isn't an issue because if the person doesn't have a BB then it will text people just as it already does.

So talking about text messages is a moot point because text messaging already works on our phones.
    ah, that's one of the issues with having a 3 year old device since mine is still separated (proceeded by 1/3, etc).
    06-13-11 07:03 PM

Ok, wait a minute. iMessage works like this: You open you Messages app and select John. John has an iPhone. You type the message and iMessages sends an IM to John. Now you message Beth. She has a feature phone. You type and iMessage sends her an SMS. You have Paul, he does not have a phone but you have his email on the address book. You message him and iMessages sends an email. Now you message me, I get an SMS too, on my BlackBerry. Now, imagie that iPhones could use BBM. If you sent me a message, I'd get it on BBM instead of an SMS.

Now, BBM. I message you. You have a BB. I use BBM. If YOU send me an SMS and I have your contact integrated with your BBM account, THEN I get the SMS on BBM.

How is that any similar?

EDIT: In fact, RIM could just steal the whole iMessage idea and add it to BBM hehe. No, even better: to the Messages app.
    06-13-11 07:14 PM
    Ok, wait a minute. iMessage works like this: You open you Messages app and select John. John has an iPhone. You type the message and iMessages sends an IM to John. Now you message Beth. She has a feature phone. You type and iMessage sends her an SMS. You have Paul, he does not have a phone but you have his email on the address book. You message him and iMessages sends an email. Now you message me, I get an SMS too, on my BlackBerry. Now, imagie that iPhones could use BBM. If you sent me a message, I'd get it on BBM instead of an SMS.

Now, BBM. I message you. You have a BB. I use BBM. If YOU send me an SMS and I have your contact integrated with your BBM account, THEN I get the SMS on BBM.

How is that any similar?

EDIT: In fact, RIM could just steal the whole iMessage idea and add it to BBM hehe. No, even better: to the Messages app.
    No. iMessage works like this: If I select John, who has an iphone, the sms message which is green will automatically turn into an imessage which is blue.

It's two separate processes, which is determined automatically. The message app is just that, a message app. It includes text messaging and iMessage integration.
    06-14-11 03:33 AM
    Sure, whatever. I'd watch the videos again if I were you. You're right, I'm wrong. Let's get back to QNX and things we want on it.
    06-14-11 08:14 AM
    it looks like RIM really wants to focus on UI as well. Other than having help with TAT, from the looks of it they hired another party.
    "Research in Motion has reportedly hired "YOU i Labs" to help enhance its mobile platform, as the company seeks to turn around it's sluggish operating system and eroding market share. "
    06-14-11 05:05 PM
    Sluggish OS? Both 5 and 6 were actually quite fast. It's a matter of knowing how to work with the OS and keeping it sharp... Not that I won't welcome faster processors thou.

Tech experts are so full of C(*&...
    06-14-11 05:29 PM
    ^^lol tech experts who write articles nowadays are more biased than anything. If one says its great majority of them will say the same thing.
    06-14-11 05:45 PM
    I'm cool with my BB i just hate the web browsing and youtube buffering i hope it's better on these new devices, i was searching the web for Android devices with a qwerty keyboard and there's not many out there and the ones that are looked rubbish, i don't know much about QNX but if iOS or Android phones had BB qwerty's that would be killer.
    06-14-11 06:02 PM
    since i have the playbook, i dont really see qnx phones as must have. the bb os actually suit my needs for what i do on the phone, while the qnx is good for playing with the pb, doesnt really feature profesionnal grade stuff so far, but that might change with the many updates to come.
    06-14-11 06:11 PM
    they hooked up with htc, well the company that designs the ui for htc. but i would love to see a phone that looks like a htc inspire so i can.... put the ****en thing in a otterbox!!!!! why would you design phones that trades people cant put in descent otterboxes!!!

but anyways i would love a bar phone that looks and feels like a mini playbook. the opposite of apple were the ipad looks and feels like a large iphone and CAN make phone calls. yes check tipb they actually had an article, im not doing your legwork.
    06-14-11 06:25 PM
    I'd be happy if the Playbook could make calls. Have a headset or bluetooth and it's good to go. I don't like holding the phone up to my ear (I usually take notes during the call). Having one device to carry (and the Playbook is a good size for that) would be a good thing.
    06-14-11 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD