Quick question. What is QNX exactly?
    www.qnx.com

Every CB addict should spend time at this site....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-11 02:02 PM
    Just saw this on N4 BB.

Amazing. I cannot wait for QNX on BlackBerry's, this will make me stay true to RIM
    exactly how I'm thinking, I don't understand people hating on BB right now, their still doing well on a selling standpoint, yes the are losing ground but still have exciting things coming in the future when it comes to OS7 and QNX. If this OS7 doesn't bring BB up to spead with the likes of Apple and Android then I can see BB addicts losing faith in this company but until that day comes, I'm pretty hyped about the future.

Hopefully OS7 comes out this year... I'd love a new touchscreen phone with a brand new BBOS
    03-06-11 02:36 PM
    Honestly as much as I like the idea of the Bold Touch and want one kind of bad. I think I'm gonna have to skip it. You just know RIM is gonna bone owners of it on the QNX front, they even said themselves it won't be implemented in non-dual core phones. And unless something changes (like RIM becoming a better company lol) the bold touch and whatnot won't have it, and they'll release phones a bunch of months later that will have it and will support QNX.

How crappy would it be to get the phone then a few months later the QNX update comes out and you can't run it.
    That's exactly what came to my mind immediately. I am still interested in Bold Touch but it's shelf life seems to be rather short. I do not believe for a minute that QNX or OS7 will become available within this year, based on the recent performance by RIM on just about anything.
    If the Bold Touch will be launched in the next several weeks, I can still tolerate it becoming obsolete when QNX device is launched (which I expect for at least another year). Besides, I feel QNX (for handheld device) is much ballyhooed and do not believe anyone really knows how well it is implemented in a small mobile device. In the end, it is just a handheld mobile device and it cannot be exceptionally superior to iOS or Android.

So, RIM, give us the Bold Touch now or other suggested new device now (or reasonably soon), or we see no reason to buy into those, knowing that they are just a stopgap measure concocted by RIM :-).
    03-06-11 09:00 PM
    That's exactly what came to my mind immediately. I am still interested in Bold Touch but it's shelf life seems to be rather short. I do not believe for a minute that QNX or OS7 will become available within this year, based on the recent performance by RIM on just about anything.
    If the Bold Touch will be launched in the next several weeks, I can still tolerate it becoming obsolete when QNX device is launched (which I expect for at least another year). Besides, I feel QNX (for handheld device) is much ballyhooed and do not believe anyone really knows how well it is implemented in a small mobile device. In the end, it is just a handheld mobile device and it cannot be exceptionally superior to iOS or Android.

So, RIM, give us the Bold Touch now or other suggested new device now (or reasonably soon), or we see no reason to buy into those, knowing that they are just a stopgap measure concocted by RIM :-).
    QNX ballyhooed on HH's? Imagine having the bulletproof capabilities of aerospace in the palm of your hand......content/media and messaging at your fingertips pushed from RIMS NOC/BIS through qnx distributed multi-processing.... having millatary class communication and logistics at the palm of your hand......an os that can support any VM and emulator you can shake a stick at....allowing any app from any platform on the market to run better on the QNX handheld because of QNX's superior enginerring and architecture...I could go on...but I'm tired

[email protected] likes this.
    03-06-11 10:38 PM
    ... I just don't want y`all thinking that qnx is coming before end of 2011 and then all crazy pissed when it doesn't arrive until mid 2012.
    What? This is CrackBerry.
    How can you expect the members not to get whipped up into a frenzy over mere rumour and then get out the pitchforks when the rumours are not 100% accurate.
    Rickroller likes this.
    03-06-11 10:47 PM
    can QNX cure cancer too?
    My friend's sister's neighbour had cancer and was cured just by watching demo videos.
    03-06-11 10:50 PM
    If I am right and hope I am its actually starting in October and not November.

If you look at the Viigo EOL one its under the month of August , right . So that means the start of Qnx coming to the handsets starts in October and ends in early December.

Whatever way it is WE will have Qnx this year ...WOOT WOOT
    Doubt it, but, anything is possible. I'll say 2012.......late 3rd quarter...... unless there are additional delays.
    03-06-11 11:18 PM
    I'm pretty excited. Although, I will say this much: I don't forsee them forsaking the new devices, and then releasing all new devices at the end of this year. That would not make much sense.

03-07-11 08:46 AM
    ::coughs::storm2::coughs::

03-07-11 08:48 AM
    this lines up with exactly what the VZW rep said to me the other day. QNX BBs are 2Q or 3Q 2012 most likely. His info seems a bit more legit now. At least rim has shown they have a lot of excitement to look towards in the next 2 years and beyond
    When will people realize that VZW reps know NOTHING about RIM's QNX plans? The guy was telling you that it won't be ready for a year and a half. Be probably followed that up by "Hey, if you sign a new 2 year contract today, you will be eligible for a new every two upgrade in about 18 months. Oh look, thats right when QNX is expected!"
    03-07-11 10:34 AM
    latest is that os7 appears to be a "transition" OS on the way to QNX.
    03-07-11 10:35 AM
    My friend's sister's neighbour had cancer and was cured just by watching demo videos.
    It's used in medical equipment that aids in cancer treatment....so the answer is yes!

03-07-11 10:54 AM
    Honestly as much as I like the idea of the Bold Touch and want one kind of bad. I think I'm gonna have to skip it. You just know RIM is gonna bone owners of it on the QNX front, they even said themselves it won't be implemented in non-dual core phones. And unless something changes (like RIM becoming a better company lol) the bold touch and whatnot won't have it, and they'll release phones a bunch of months later that will have it and will support QNX.

How crappy would it be to get the phone then a few months later the QNX update comes out and you can't run it.
    This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm due for an upgrade in August, and would love to get either the Bold Touch or Torch 2. However, if they're moving to QNX a few months after that I would hate to have upgraded right before. I will be keeping a close eye on this timeline before I make my decision in August.
    03-07-11 01:34 PM
    This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm due for an upgrade in August, and would love to get either the Bold Touch or Torch 2. However, if they're moving to QNX a few months after that I would hate to have upgraded right before. I will be keeping a close eye on this timeline before I make my decision in August.
    I think it's very likely going to be more than just a few months after the next batch of releases before we see QNX-based phones.

My thought, unless I know for certain that something better is right around the corner, at upgrade time I'll go with what's out at the time. Only Apple is on any kind of a predictable update timeline, and even that is up in the air this year as far as the iPhone goes (will it be iPhone 5 right on the heels of the Verizon drop? Will it be a mini-iPhone? Will it be anything at all?). I don't see the point of waiting indefinitely for the next big thing when you can have the current better thing now, especially when you don't know exactly what the next big thing is or when it's coming.

branflakes likes this.
    03-07-11 03:06 PM
    will probably have a sneak peek of QNX (os 7) sometime near the end of this year. I highly doubt the phones on the upcoming road map will have OS 7 unless all those leaks just had OS 6 as a placeholder for all that QNX-bred goodness.

I wouldn't dismiss that these phones won't receive that upgrade so I probably won't have any problems getting a new phone later in the year If I do and upgrading the OS in due time.
    03-07-11 06:02 PM
    will probably have a sneak peek of QNX (os 7) sometime near the end of this year. I highly doubt the phones on the upcoming road map will have OS 7 unless all those leaks just had OS 6 as a placeholder for all that QNX-bred goodness.

I wouldn't dismiss that these phones won't receive that upgrade so I probably won't have any problems getting a new phone later in the year If I do and upgrading the OS in due time.
    The leaked devices will NOT have OS7 or QNX on them. Also, these leaked phones will not be upgradable to QNX.
    03-08-11 06:35 PM
    The leaked devices will NOT have OS7 or QNX on them. Also, these leaked phones will not be upgradable to QNX.
    Is this opinion, or are you claiming this ia inside info?

03-08-11 07:14 PM

except OS7 is not QNX. but they like to "dream" around here.
    03-08-11 07:24 PM
    except OS7 is not QNX. but they like to "dream" around here.
    It can run on QNX....however ovehauling the entire UI may unlikely come to be...I have the impression they will eventually do that through incremental upgrades as opposed to whipping out the whole salami.....all at once....I could be wrong and could be on to something......running neutral on this one.......

03-08-11 09:07 PM
    You guys haven't done a good job of putting 2 and 2 together.

RIM specifically said qnx couldn't operate without a dual core processor. They said they weren't going to try to implement a dual core processor until battery technology was up to snuff. The roadmap they outlined didn't include that anytime this year because you cannot dictate innovation.

Qnx will not be on a RIM smartphone anytime this year.

Last edited by kb5zht; 03-08-11 at 09:26 PM.
    03-08-11 09:22 PM
    Indeed, gents lower masts. Ladies, err, do whatever ladies do.
    03-08-11 11:56 PM
    You guys haven't done a good job of putting 2 and 2 together.

RIM specifically said qnx couldn't operate without a dual core processor. They said they weren't going to try to implement a dual core processor until battery technology was up to snuff. The roadmap they outlined didn't include that anytime this year because you cannot dictate innovation.

Qnx will not be on a RIM smartphone anytime this year.

They didn't say it couldn't operate without dual core, they said it runs optimally with the dual core. That doesn't mean they weren't testing it with single core and maybe found something ground breaking to get it to work well. You're right that you can't dictate innovation, but they may be far enough along to give an estimate to when it should be done. QNX not being on a smartphone this year is a bold statement without inside info. Maybe it won't just for the single reason that they are releasing 6.1 phones around mid year-third quarter. I don't get why you have to be so negative all the time.
    03-09-11 12:07 AM
    It can run on QNX....however ovehauling the entire UI may unlikely come to be...I have the impression they will eventually do that through incremental upgrades as opposed to whipping out the whole salami.....all at once....I could be wrong and could be on to something......running neutral on this one.......

What can run on qnx? It will be a whole new os. They won't just take all of rims legacy stuff and run it on qnx. I think tablet os shows us that they aren't going down that road. Which is good.

03-09-11 04:22 AM
    They didn't say it couldn't operate without dual core, they said it runs optimally with the dual core. That doesn't mean they weren't testing it with single core and maybe found something ground breaking to get it to work well. You're right that you can't dictate innovation, but they may be far enough along to give an estimate to when it should be done. QNX not being on a smartphone this year is a bold statement without inside info. Maybe it won't just for the single reason that they are releasing 6.1 phones around mid year-third quarter. I don't get why you have to be so negative all the time.
    What I find funny here is no one is making a second gen dual core. They are going to tri and quad core. Which will be first generation as well. So most likely we see rim implement the same multicore that is coming to market now. Or maybe they will go with gen 1 quad stuff, but I more likely are them using older dual core stuff come next year.

03-09-11 04:25 AM
    upgrade due march 2012 so looking good for me
    03-09-11 06:37 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD