http://n4bb.com/4802/exclusive-black...s-4-1-and-more

However, it seems most people are interested in knowing when QNX (most likely to be known as OS 7.0) will reach RIM’s handsets.

According to the 2011 BlackBerry software roadmap, we should see integration begin for OS 7.0 towards the end of November 2011. It isn’t clear if BlackBerry OS 7.0 will be an ‘update’ to 6.1 or if it will be released on newer devices first and potentially rolled out to older devices later. Nonetheless, it is a good sign to see the possibility of QNX-based BlackBerry smartphones nearing availability.
    Last edited by barrist; 03-05-11 at 02:58 PM.
    3Dee, sf49ers and hd56fox like this.
    03-05-11 02:44 PM
    Wow, great find, thanks for posting this.
    03-05-11 03:00 PM
    Just saw this on N4 BB.

Amazing. I cannot wait for QNX on BlackBerry's, this will make me stay true to RIM
    03-05-11 03:02 PM
    6.1 software coming in May also gives validity to the hopes that new handsets will be out around that time (come on Bold Touch).
    03-05-11 03:03 PM
    Does anyone know what's new in BIS 4.0?
    03-05-11 03:03 PM
    Wow, a lot sooner than I was expecting, but awesome news if it turns out to be correct.
    03-05-11 03:09 PM
    That's considerably sooner than I expected as well. If accurate, that could make the holiday shopping season interesting with people getting new smartphones for Christmas presents.

I'll have to check it out when they release it.
    03-05-11 03:14 PM
    Hold up everyone. That's sn core integration. Do we know what that means? That could be a milestone in the development that is still several months from delivery. While it is great that they have a roadmap showing BB7, I don't think this means you'll see that before bbw in 2012. I think the 6.1 devices get unveiled in may 2011 at bbw and that we will see BB7 devices in may 2012 at bbw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 03:21 PM
    If I am right and hope I am its actually starting in October and not November.

If you look at the Viigo EOL one its under the month of August , right . So that means the start of Qnx coming to the handsets starts in October and ends in early December.

Whatever way it is WE will have Qnx this year ...WOOT WOOT
    03-05-11 03:40 PM
    Honestly as much as I like the idea of the Bold Touch and want one kind of bad. I think I'm gonna have to skip it. You just know RIM is gonna bone owners of it on the QNX front, they even said themselves it won't be implemented in non-dual core phones. And unless something changes (like RIM becoming a better company lol) the bold touch and whatnot won't have it, and they'll release phones a bunch of months later that will have it and will support QNX.

How crappy would it be to get the phone then a few months later the QNX update comes out and you can't run it.
    bigpolla04 likes this.
    03-05-11 03:43 PM
    If I am right and hope I am its actually starting in October and not November.

If you look at the Viigo EOL one its under the month of August , right . So that means the start of Qnx coming to the handsets starts in October and ends in early December.

Whatever way it is WE will have Qnx this year ...WOOT WOOT
    Be careful there. From my experience in software development core integration is usually early on. I just don't want y`all thinking that qnx is coming before end of 2011 and then all crazy pissed when it doesn't arrive until mid 2012.

We haven't even seen 6.1 yet and I am thinking no more than 1 major OS revision a year.

Again just don't want you all getting ahead of yourselves.

mechanic_joe and TGoblin like this.
    03-05-11 03:45 PM
    how does this n4bb guy get to leak all the hot news? the name bbleaks was apt but may be because of wikileaks effect they changed it to n4bb.
    03-05-11 03:46 PM
    Ya you have a good point there but what if we miss out on the bold touch and it gets it anyway. That would suck more .
    03-05-11 03:47 PM
    i dont even see OS 6.1 integration on that list, it just has some apps with OS 6.1 listed.
    03-05-11 04:16 PM
    Honestly as much as I like the idea of the Bold Touch and want one kind of bad. I think I'm gonna have to skip it. You just know RIM is gonna bone owners of it on the QNX front, they even said themselves it won't be implemented in non-dual core phones. And unless something changes (like RIM becoming a better company lol) the bold touch and whatnot won't have it, and they'll release phones a bunch of months later that will have it and will support QNX.

How crappy would it be to get the phone then a few months later the QNX update comes out and you can't run it.
    That only means my 9780 better last long enough, for I will only upgrade to a QNX powered device now. I guess most of you will agree to that.

OS 6.1 should keep me busy and happy enough till then, hopefully.
    03-05-11 04:20 PM
    Hold up everyone. That's sn core integration. Do we know what that means? That could be a milestone in the development that is still several months from delivery. While it is great that they have a roadmap showing BB7, I don't think this means you'll see that before bbw in 2012. I think the 6.1 devices get unveiled in may 2011 at bbw and that we will see BB7 devices in may 2012 at bbw.

exactly. 6.1 is the OS for "xmas 2011". OS7 is a 2012 "event". this is the way things work given the lead times in the wireless world.
    03-05-11 04:27 PM
    Be careful there. From my experience in software development core integration is usually early on. I just don't want y`all thinking that qnx is coming before end of 2011 and then all crazy pissed when it doesn't arrive until mid 2012.

We haven't even seen 6.1 yet and I am thinking no more than 1 major OS revision a year.

Again just don't want you all getting ahead of yourselves.

I agree. Being a project manager myself, occasionally working with high-level roadmaps such as this, and judging by the naming of the BB7 activity, my guess would be that by early December they're planning on having an OS that's ready to be loaded into devices. Even making the huge assumption that they have hardware ready to handle it at that time and the UI, basic functionality and all other aspects sorted out, there are still a lot of steps to carry out before the whole package is physically on the shelf of your favorite phone store.

It certainly is enlightening and encouraging to see these things on their radar screen. Based on what I'm seeing, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet that we're not likely to see a phone sporting a QNX-based OS until Q1 2012 at the earliest (which we all know by now in RIM-speak is probably closer to mid-summer). But I'm not a gambling man, because my track record with anything based on luck is positively deplorable. So take that for what it's worth.
    03-05-11 04:33 PM
    i dont even see OS 6.1 integration on that list, it just has some apps with OS 6.1 listed.
    Ya know, that got me to take a closer look at the chart. And upon doing so, now I'm starting to think that it's not what any of us are thinking at all.

First of all, look at everything else in the chart -- it's all user interfaces and front-end apps. Says nothing about system software/firmware development. Now look at the group that BB7 Core Integration is associated with -- it's Collaboration and Social Networking. I think what we're seeing is when they are planning to integrate those Collaboration and Social Networking applications into BB7.

What this does strongly suggest to me is that BB7 development will have to be close to finished by October if that's when they're going to start integrating these functions into it. Which, despite not really telling us much more about the delivery timeline for QNX/BB7-based phones, it's still a good thing to know.
    03-05-11 04:46 PM

I would agree with you...however to ensure a seamless transition this may be when they release sdk's for the next generation of qnx BB HH's to ensure we have a loaded plaform moving forward...goes along the same lines as RIM introducing the PB six months early to get the developer industry on board

03-05-11 08:13 PM
    Solution's simple....get a 1 year plan on the BBs of this year so you'll be ready for the next when the contract's over.

Even with these roadmaps it is really hard to determine when BB7 will hit. It's a good rough estimate IMO. Nice to hear confirmation of it while giving some perspective on what is going on with every major BB update (apps, bis, etc).
    03-06-11 03:27 AM
    I would agree with you...however to ensure a seamless transition this may be when they release sdk's for the next generation of qnx BB HH's to ensure we have a loaded plaform moving forward...goes along the same lines as RIM introducing the PB six months early to get the developer industry on board

That was done with the playbook because it was a totally new platform. QNX won't be new, just new to hand held devices. So no need to announce several months before it is ready like they did with the playbook.

Maybe announced at CES 2012 and delivered at bbw 2012.

Also playbook 2 will be in there somewhere.

03-06-11 06:42 AM
    That was done with the playbook because it was a totally new platform. QNX won't be new, just new to hand held devices. So no need to announce several months before it is ready like they did with the playbook.

Maybe announced at CES 2012 and delivered at bbw 2012.

Also playbook 2 will be in there somewhere.

Well in my view the the QNX phone sdk's and Tablet OS sdk's will be different, and to ensure having plentiful apps and services at launch they will introduce BB7 well in advance of device launch to ensure an abundance and seamless transition...IMHO.....have a great day

03-06-11 12:29 PM
    Quick question. What is QNX exactly?
    03-06-11 12:38 PM
    RIM is creating a new electronic toothbrush called the QNX.

Having said that, This roadmap is a fake and it probably and most likely is an educated guess. A pretty good one.
    03-06-11 01:35 PM
    An OS that RIM purchased along with the company of the same name that wrote it. It's been around longer than Linux and has been used in many applications, but it's new to the world of mobile devices. It's in the new PlayBook, and it's also being retooled for phones to start coming out probably early next year, which most are thinking will make BB's even more competitive. Someone else will have to jump in with more technical info so's I don't start sounding like more of an idjit than usual.

03-06-11 01:48 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD