This article brings forward some QNX questions, with no apparent answers. BlackBerry needs to address.

BlackBerry Demystified 8: Did Volkswagen Just Buy A Critical Part Of BlackBerry's QNX Team? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    serbanescu likes this.
    07-03-14 07:11 AM
    07-03-14 07:25 AM
    This article brings forward some QNX questions, with no apparent answers. BlackBerry needs to address.

BlackBerry Demystified 8: Did Volkswagen Just Buy A Critical Part Of BlackBerry's QNX Team? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    I know that QNX and Volkswagen/Audi have a very close relationship and it's not improbable that they bought into the company, that sort of thing goes on all the time. But I have my doubts that BlackBerry would have sold any interest in QNX to any party at this stage, there's no need for them to have done so and QNX is far more valuable to them as a whole rather than having been portioned off.

I honestly haven't read the article and probably won't. Seeking Alpha really isn't an accurate or reliable source, most of their articles are written by "informed" amateurs and are far more wrong than they are right. If this pops up on Reuters or AP/CP or otherwise comes from a legitimate press source then I might give it some of my time.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-03-14 07:26 AM
    I know that QNX and Volkswagen/Audi have a very close relationship and it's not improbable that they bought into the company, that sort of thing goes on all the time. But I have my doubts that BlackBerry would have sold any interest in QNX to any party at this stage, there's no need for them to have done so and QNX is far more valuable to them as a whole rather than having been portioned off.

I honestly haven't read the article and probably won't. Seeking Alpha really isn't an accurate or reliable source, most of their articles are written by "informed" amateurs and are far more wrong than they are right. If this pops up on Reuters or AP/CP or otherwise comes from a legitimate press source then I might give it some of my time.
    The article is well written and worth a read. The questions about QNX have lingered for a long time. The author is long BBRY and seemingly has some concerns.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 07:35 AM
    It would be great for CrackBerry to dig a little further into this subject.
    07-03-14 07:40 AM
    It would be great for CrackBerry to dig a little further into this subject.
    That's why we haven't posted about it. At this point, the details are too slim.
    serbanescu likes this.
    07-03-14 10:29 AM
    BlackBerry has responded

BerryFlow posted it up. Looks like the employees were indeed transferred
    http://berryflow.com/2014/07/200-bla...-infotainment/

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 10:40 AM
    BlackBerry has responded

BerryFlow posted it up. Looks like the employees were indeed transferred
    200 BlackBerry Employees in Bochum Will Transfer to Volkswagen Infotainment -

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the link.

It's still unclear how important was BlackBerry Connectivity Research Centre (the outfit Volkwagen bought) in the grand scheme of BlackBerry's QNX subsidiary.
    07-03-14 11:09 AM
    The Volkswagen press release states their intentions with the acquisition:

Wolfsburg, 2014-07-01
    Volkswagen broadens its expertise in the field of connectivity
    Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH founded in Wolfsburg
    The Volkswagen Group is taking over BlackBerry's European research and development centre in Bochum (Germany). With the newly founded Volkswagen Infotainment GmbH, the Wolfsburg-based automotive group is further expanding its expertise and capabilities in the field of vehicle connectivity.

With its objective of interlinking vehicles and the surrounding world, the field of 'connectivity' forms a focal point of research and development within the Volkswagen Group that has seen rapid growth in recent years. New strategies and innovations are needed in order that interlinking driver and automobile with the infrastructure can be further optimised.

The exchange of information between vehicle and mobile devices, such as MP3 players, smart phones and car keys, is already taking place today. In the near future further forms of communication will become equally established: communication between vehicle and the driver's home or office; communication between vehicle and filling stations, parking spaces and road infrastructure (car-to-X communication); and ultimately also from vehicle to vehicle (car-to-car communication). It will be possible in this way to provide drivers with very prompt information of any hold-ups or obstructions.

Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neu�er, Member of the Board of Management Volkswagen Brand for the Development Division, explains: "Connectivity will be a key feature of the car of the future. Many customers are expecting connected vehicles of a new dimension in terms of convenience and road safety. Around the globe, our customers' aspirations will change rapidly, leading to shortened cycles of innovation for systems and functions. In order to be able to meet these challenges it is necessary for us to broaden and expand our options through additional know-how."
    07-03-14 11:23 AM
    I am genuinely curious about what this means for BlackBerry's future in the in-car infotainment business??

Does this mean that, long-term, they are getting out of that area?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 01:02 PM
    Doesn't mean anything really
    Just that they closed a R&D center in Germany, saved some money by not having to lay off the employees and got rid of a lease in line with their recent cost saving measures.
    QNX's main operations are primarily (correct me if I'm wrong) based in Ottawa

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by eldricho; 07-03-14 at 03:17 PM.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    07-03-14 01:40 PM
    My guess is the QNX Car 2.0 is officially dead with RIM not that it got traction anyway.
    07-03-14 02:36 PM
    My guess is the QNX Car 2.0 is officially dead with RIM not that it got traction anyway.
    You mean other than the 70 million cars that already use QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    07-03-14 06:40 PM
    @ctvnews proclaimed on TV news tonight "BlackBerry sells it's R&D division"

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 07:50 PM
    Doesn't mean anything really
    Just that they closed a R&D center in Germany, saved some money by not having to lay off the employees and got rid of a lease in line with their recent cost saving measures.
    QNX's main operations are primarily (correct me if I'm wrong) based in Ottawa

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is in Ottawa. They sold their German based R&D according to WSJ.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    07-03-14 08:21 PM
    They probably got some cash for this deal. People didn't lose their jobs with further savings in not having to pay out severance

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 08:27 PM
    I honestly cannot stand seekingalpha. Every BlackBerry article they write is very negative. Even when the company does something positive they find a way to spin it around.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 08:28 PM
    You mean other than the 70 million cars that already use QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Which means jack if QNX doesn't have compelling features for the car UI of the future. They'll be stuck with what they are doing now, a virtual butler for CarPlay and Android Auto.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-03-14 09:12 PM
    Which means jack if QNX doesn't have compelling features for the car UI of the future. They'll be stuck with what they are doing now, a virtual butler for CarPlay and Android Auto.
    I to think its kind of stupid. No one knows about qnx at all...

They just need an out of the box solution. 500-1000$ and they install qnx 2.0 with mirro link and free updates.

They need to get their name out. I have no idea why they are so alias

Companies are using QNX now but if they dont step their game up for cars they are going to get pushed to the side like Apple is doing to naunce to improve siri on their own.

If they dont pick it up in the next year or 2 the next big thing will arrive and sweep them away.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 11:33 PM
    Audi and VW are the heaviest users of QNX platform. In fact they have built their own stuff on top of it.

It makes pure sense that they can acquire some people with top notch expertise straight from BlackBerry. A good business decision on their part.

Why BlackBerry did not contract a team out to them as a services deal is beyond me. As a BlackBerry arm chair ceo that's what I would be going for. But maybe vw and audi wouldn't bite on that one.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/aud...015-2014-06-25

"After connecting an Android smartphone in a compatible Audi, drivers will see a prompt asking if they want their apps to function through the MMI touch display and controls. The graphics and audio streams, including microphone input and all control interfaces, will then operate with Android Auto which is seamlessly integrated into the Audi MMI mobile media application framework developed by the Audi software joint venture e.solutions on top of the QNX Car automotive operating system."

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 11:41 PM
    This is exactly what Chen was talking about doing in his latest interview on recode.

He specifically says he will deliver services to the enterprise who will in their turn deliver those to the end consumer. Here's a quote "we are not selling to the individual, we are selling to the enterprise."
    Going back to enterprise roots as he's been advocating since day one.

QNX is a foundation that has tremendous potential. Keeping the research facility in Bochum was against their enterprise vision.

According to a German journalist I spoke, BlackBerry's research center in Bochum was researching ways to connect individual objects to each other like in a daisy chain. Not something they should be focusing on at the moment, so when VW showed interest it was decided they'd buy the entire place including staff to keep the research going but not funded by BlackBerry anymore but by a major interested party.

Volkswagen just decided they want the tech alone instead of BlackBerry offering and licensing it off to other car manufacturers.

Anyway, BlackBerry remains tied to it as all research done in that facility was based on QNX and will continue to be based on it.

So driverless Volkswagen cars powered by QNX soon?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 03:42 AM
    Nothing is clear at the moment, what I would hope for is QNX becoming the link between android/ios ecosystems in all connected things. I have a hard time seeing any car company adopting only one system and alienating their potential customers who have the other.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 06:17 AM
    Nothing is clear at the moment, what I would hope for is QNX becoming the link between android/ios ecosystems in all connected things. I have a hard time seeing any car company adopting only one system and alienating their potential customers who have the other.

Posted via CB10
    If that is all QNX will do, then it's not all that important. There are other platform on top of which Google Auto and Apple car-play can be installed. I this case as someone else said, QNX becomes a virtual butler.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-04-14 06:40 AM
    If that is all QNX will do, then it's not all that important. There are other platform on top of which Google Auto and Apple car-play can be installed. I this case as someone else said, QNX becomes a virtual butler.
    You're kidding right?
    That's exactly what QNX is. It's an operating system that runs underneath whatever third parties put on top of it, be it Apple Carplay or Google Auto.

Best take a look at this article: BlackBerry's QNX: Why it's so valuable to Apple, Google, auto industry | ZDNet
    07-04-14 07:46 AM
    IMO: This sounds more like an "Acquhire" for VW.
    VW uses QNX today for Infotainment and if they want to develop it further they need the talent that can do it. Now BBRY is laying-off staff all over the world. What better way for both companies to get a "Win-Win" then for VW to buy the talent and everything they need to accomplish their goal of developing the Infotainment system. It's minimal disruption for the staff when it comes to commuting, equipment, and peers.

In the end, this could have been just the support office for the German automakers and redundant where North American office can support the remaining automakers over there.

All I know is that BBRY needs to release some information quick to put rumors at bay.
    07-04-14 08:43 AM
55 123