QNX acquisition was named the top of the top 10 smartest tech acquisitions of 2010. I am all excited about PlayBook and awaiting for QNX based Mobile OS.

The 10 Smartest Tech Acquisitions Of 2010
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    01-18-11 12:11 PM
    QNX acquisition was named the top of the top 10 smartest tech acquisitions of 2010. I am all excited about PlayBook and awaiting for QNX based Mobile OS.

The 10 Smartest Tech Acquisitions Of 2010
    Don't show any excitement, you'll be labeled a 'fanboi'.
    01-18-11 12:17 PM
    QNX acquisition was named the top of the top 10 smartest tech acquisitions of 2010.
    Awesome
    01-18-11 12:20 PM
    Don't show any excitement, you'll be labeled a 'fanboi'.
    I don't mind being termed as a fanboi, though this is a week old news just wanted to bring some positive energy to the land of blackberries which seem to have a lot of whiners and making some stupid posts bringing nothing great to the forums except whining and loathing. One needs to understand lately RIM is trying a lot and following a systematic approach and I have faith in them and will wait patiently to see what they are upto like they did with the PB . Definitely getting a PB and a Storm 3 or a Dakota whenever they are released.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-18-11 at 12:38 PM.
    01-18-11 12:33 PM
    I think that acquiring QNX was a VERY smart move. Not only does it bring an new OS under RIM's roof (and remove it from the competition's reach) it also brings its own revenue stream with it. QNX is widely used in the automobile and aviation industries.

So to all those who continue to write doom and gloom threads about RIM's imminent demise, I think that you would all be very wel advised to do a little reading before you simply quote some industry analyst who knows more and more about less and less.

I actually think that RIM's acquisition od TAT - the UI company they bougt will turn out to be a more significant direction for RIM.

Now, if you combine RIM's excellent hardware, its existing software base in network security, roll in QNX and then a properly researched UI, we will see a fantastic new set of phones. At leat, thais is what I choose to believe after reading the various company profiles.
    01-18-11 12:43 PM

Now, if you combine RIM's excellent hardware, its existing software base in network security, roll in QNX and then a properly researched UI, we will see a fantastic new set of phones. At leat, thais is what I choose to believe after reading the various company profiles.
    Possibly, but I would say, that's next year's (2012) melody. I doubt the new phones coming out this year will feature QNX yet. By 2012, my contract will expire so it would be perfect timing. But until then, there is still plenty of water to run down under the bridge.
    01-18-11 01:18 PM
    I think that you would all be very wel advised to do a little reading before you simply quote some industry analyst who knows more and more about less and less.
    amen to that, QNX + TAT = Awesomeness
    01-18-11 01:24 PM
    It was a very smart move. RIM needs to move on from their aging OS to something new they can take into the future. QNX is just that.
    01-18-11 01:46 PM
    I saw this a few days ago, but it's an opinion piece from BI so I didn't.
    01-18-11 01:50 PM
    Gotta love competition, and those who are willing to play ball. It's like RIM acquired, or drafted a pinch hitter. Give it time, and it should pay dividends.
    01-18-11 01:50 PM
    It was a very smart move, but the key is capitalizing on it. They need to do something with it and fast.
    01-18-11 06:13 PM
    ^ +1

10 char? Why thank you.
    01-18-11 06:20 PM
    It was a very smart move, but the key is capitalizing on it. They need to do something with it and fast.
    This is the key. When they aquired torch mobile, people here were very excited and the results of the webkit browser were ...... meh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 06:40 PM
    We have seen QNX on the playbook and it looks great so i have no doubt once they get in on a BB and let TaT do some work it will be nice.
    01-18-11 06:46 PM
    This is the key. When they aquired torch mobile, people here were very excited and the results of the webkit browser were ...... meh.

Torch browser in OS 6 is as good as any other webkit browser but it was limited by the CPU/GPU on the Torch. Infact they have done a commendable job by integrating webkit into a Java VM (BB OS) so quickly and make it work flawlessly. They made it look slick on Playbook too, Torch browser on Playbook is a absolute jewel if you have already seen the demos of pixel graph rendering, acid3, java script/css test, html 5 and flash support, it puts safari on iOS to shame.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-18-11 at 09:34 PM.
    01-18-11 08:19 PM
    also ya have to admit google made a very good acqusition in 2010 with bumptop, iv got that desktop and its awesome
    01-18-11 10:02 PM
    QNX + TAT + RIM can't equal anything but awesome... I hope
    01-20-11 05:20 PM
    QNX based phones may not come that quickly according to RIM. Here's an Engadget link RIM exec talks PlayBook, App World, QNX on phones, and more -- Engadget where RIM are talking about waiting for dual-core processors before they release them.

One comment in this link makes some very valid, imo, points about QNX and it's suitablility as a phone OS. He points out that QNX is primarily an automotive OS and I know from my own reading that the QNX kernel is set up as a message based architecture which may need quite a bit of tweaking to live ina multi-media environment.

I am sure that RIM will get the absolute best out of QNX and combined wit a TAT researched UI, should be a world beater.

I also see the current RIM OS carrying on since its major saving grace is that several million corporate users rely on its reliability and security every single day of their business lives. Additionally all Blackberrys work more or less the same from OS 4.2 through OS6. This makes the corporate cost of ownership (training & support) very cheap on a per unit basis.
    01-20-11 05:40 PM
    Torch browser in OS 6 is as good as any other webkit browser but it was limited by the CPU/GPU on the Torch.
    No GPU at all hurts.
    01-20-11 07:33 PM
    QNX + TAT + RIM can't equal anything but awesome... I hope
    Sure, if RIM can ever get away from their '79 Gremlin.

01-21-11 07:15 AM
    Torch browser in OS 6 is as good as any other webkit browser but it was limited by the CPU/GPU on the Torch. Infact they have done a commendable job by integrating webkit into a Java VM (BB OS) so quickly and make it work flawlessly. They made it look slick on Playbook too, Torch browser on Playbook is a absolute jewel if you have already seen the demos of pixel graph rendering, acid3, java script/css test, html 5 and flash support, it puts safari on iOS to shame.
    Quoted for truth. The problem with the 9800 isn't the webkit based browser itself, it's the 9800's HW. Meshing the webkit with Java was a **** of a task. And it was done well in most people's eyes. The browser on the PlayBook is second to none...
    01-21-11 07:58 AM
    As the PlayBook showed me personally, QNX is where it's at. It looked smooth. And that is all I can ask my phone to do. Perform the functions when I ask the device to perform them. At this point, I actually would like to see QNX on a Phone. In a Perfect world, we'd see it sooner rather than later. However, we don't live in one of those. So we have to wait for the next Level of BlackBerry Devices.

To stay on topic, QNX was a great pick up for RIM. Without a Doubt.

01-21-11 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD