06-10-11 01:17 PM
    "We don’t doubt it will more than likely take RIM closer to mid-2012 to launch a QNX powered device. But, we hope and pray it is much sooner, for RIM’s sake."

I think we all know QNX won't be out until sometime next year. So "news" like this means nothing. They should have been working on getting QNX on devices before the playbook and they shouldn't be working on a Bold Touch with the same old OS.
    06-10-11 01:35 PM
    yea ofc, tho im still glad i'll be getting a bold touch with os7 and not os6
    but sure, you're right

but still, even tho its obvious, its interesting to hear about prototypes..
    wish they'd actually show us something : /

a few months ago, many of us still thought QNX phones will be out Q1 2012, guess that's more than likely not to happen now
    i think it'll be mid-late 2012, maybe 1 year after bold touch release
    06-10-11 01:42 PM
    Let's get RIM and the US major carriers thought process on getting the Bold 9900/9930 released on a timely manor and let this QNX OS talk start around May 2012...if the Bold 9900/9930 isn't out on time and doesn't sell well, QNX won't matter. Today and what RIM releases is what matters!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 01:52 PM
    well, their first QNX device was the playbook, so i assume its easier to make QNX compatible with a smaller full touchscreen device (phone) first
    06-10-11 02:35 PM
    Hmmmmmmmmm...........

It's sad that the only reason most people here like BlackBerry devices is because there is a typewriter strapped onto it.
    RIM is a crazy company. They understand that a vast majority of their users use BBs because of the typewriters attached to them... why would they be releasing QNX touch only devices before their bread and butter typewriter w/ a half inch screen?
    06-10-11 02:41 PM
    RIM is a crazy company. They understand that a vast majority of their users use BBs because of the typewriters attached to them... why would they be releasing QNX touch only devices before their bread and butter typewriter w/ a half inch screen?
    because in order for RIM to compete nowadays... they need a cool mainstream device that will attract more people than just business people. Its obvious that the hot item now is a full touchscreen device. (iPhone, HTC, etc..)
    06-10-11 02:45 PM
    "We donít doubt it will more than likely take RIM closer to mid-2012 to launch a QNX powered device. But, we hope and pray it is much sooner, for RIMís sake."

I think we all know QNX won't be out until sometime next year. So "news" like this means nothing. They should have been working on getting QNX on devices before the playbook and they shouldn't be working on a Bold Touch with the same old OS.
    The playbook was a validation exercise. Just like apple deploys IOS across it's iphone and ipad lineup, RIM will be moving toward the same goal.

I suspect support will be much, much better with a unified operating system.
    06-10-11 02:56 PM
    The playbook was a validation exercise. Just like apple deploys IOS across it's iphone and ipad lineup, RIM will be moving toward the same goal.

I suspect support will be much, much better with a unified operating system.
    Can't compare Apple putting iOS across their devices. RIM was not in the tablet business and been lacking in the smartphone business for a while now. So the logical step was to reinvent their handheld business and not step into another niche market where they had no shot in making a big impact. I would bet about all of the playbook owners would trade their playbooks along with their current blackberry for a smartphone that runs QNX. Sure eventually the goal is that you get the OS on all your devices but I personally think it was dumb to start with a tablet and then work backwards. That's just my opinion but I think working towards QNX on a device was top priority. Not putting your OS on a tablet because you are too cheap to invest in the development and materials to build a good handheld to run it now.

That's like me running a sneaker store and then one opens up across the street and starts stealing my business. So instead of me making sure I get the best products and have the best sneakers available to get my customers back, I ignore my core business and start selling hats while at the same time there's already a better hat store on the block. Not that I shouldn't start selling hats, but I should do that at the expense of my core business. Especially if I want to remain in that business.

I don't mind QNX on the playbook. I just mind the fact that it should have been on smartphones first. All I disagree is about the timing.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-10-11 at 03:16 PM.
    06-10-11 03:02 PM
    BB users keep clinging on to QNX hopes and RIM keeps falling more and more behind......
    If it weren't for Blackberry users then Apple and Android users who pathetically troll these forums daily would have a huge chunk of there lives ripped away.
    06-10-11 05:21 PM
    That'll be fun to see, i'll wait it out like I have for the past 11 years for something great to come out

06-10-11 06:25 PM
    BB users keep clinging on to QNX hopes and RIM keeps falling more and more behind......
    I'm actually looking forward to the 9900 with OS 7...but I've used all the platforms and recognize the differences are not as large as some want to suggest. The same group of folks who seem to need to have the best specs on paper also exaggerate the real world differences. You are a prime example. This post is a template for everything you post on here. It seems some insecurity is powered by dual core processors.
    mahen915 likes this.
    06-10-11 06:35 PM
    Wow D_March I couldn't agree more. Everyone just wants the BBs to have everything the others have even if they don't know what it does for them. Example is seeing everyone run to get the latest 4Gs and dual cores. All this rave about the Tegra 2s and next gen 4G networks and they are full of flaws.

I for one prefer a smaller phone with superior battery. The new BBs are addressing most of my personal problems I'm having with my 9550. I don't need an 8mp camera when it doesn't even perform as well as some 5mps. I don't need the added bulk of a 4.5" phone (smdh).

I'm really happy from what I've seen with multiple extensive videos of the 9900 and other upcoming BB7 handsets. These are on very early software and I'm very impressed. It finally brings the fluidity of ios and looks to even surpass dual core androids in this area. Its not about paper specs but how the developers utilize the hardware included.

If RIM successfully pulled off a 60fps experience, brought the browser to competitors' speeds, show off gaming/apps with hardware acceleration, I think these can truly be competitive. In other areas they have brought 720p recording, higher res screens with improved viewing angles, Nfc, a magnetometer, thinner hardware, and more. This will be a substantial upgrade. If people ignore them and don't even give them a shot because they are Blackberrys, then they are either bias, stubborn, or ignorant.

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 06-10-11 at 07:34 PM.
    mahen915, MrPringlz and Krack like this.
    06-10-11 07:31 PM
    I'm actually looking forward to the 9900 with OS 7...but I've used all the platforms and recognize the differences are not as large as some want to suggest. The same group of folks who seem to need to have the best specs on paper also exaggerate the real world differences. You are a prime example. This post is a template for everything you post on here. It seems some insecurity is powered by dual core processors.
    Don't QQ 'cause your phone has terribly out-dated specs. I love BB as much as the next guy but am sick and tired of seeing blind followers making excuses for their lack of real hardware. It's not because they wait "for all the bugs to be ironed out", that's non-sense, RIM releases some of the buggiest and most incomplete devices out there.
    06-10-11 08:34 PM
    Don't QQ 'cause your phone has terribly out-dated specs. I love BB as much as the next guy but am sick and tired of seeing blind followers making excuses for their lack of real hardware. It's not because they wait "for all the bugs to be ironed out", that's non-sense, RIM releases some of the buggiest and most incomplete devices out there.
    I never said anything about bugs and have no idea what QQ means. I also stated I have used all the platforms and the real life difference in performance is exaggerated. I made no excuse for anyone or anything. I challenged a poster and stated why I will enjoy buying and using the 9900. If you think BB is buggy and vastly outdated then I suggest you try something else. I have many times. Trust me, if you are being loyal they have no clue who you are...you can try another device and even keep it. The free world is crazy like that.
    06-10-11 09:02 PM
    It seems some insecurity is powered by dual core processors.
    And biggest screens you can find! When in doubt, it seems a dual core large screen phone is all some have have to whip out.
    06-11-11 02:12 PM
    One would wonder what this one line zinger contributed to the discussion.

I've tried to keep a civil tongue in my mouth around you since you were of assistance when I was trying out the Atrix, but really, appreciation for that assistance is wearing thin, given the numerous one line zingers you currently post.
    06-11-11 02:21 PM
    And biggest screens you can find! When in doubt, it seems a dual core large screen phone is all some have have to whip out.
    I'm starting to believe that really, that's all they've got.
    06-11-11 02:22 PM
    I actually only want the 9900 and the Torch 2. For me, QNX can wait.
    I know others want it quickly, but really, I just want the new phones.
    06-11-11 02:24 PM
    I actually only want the 9900 and the Torch 2. For me, QNX can wait.
    I know others want it quickly, but really, I just want the new phones.
    Why would you want that? I thought the 9800 did all you needed.
    06-11-11 02:51 PM
    It does. But I have a collection of BBerries. I love them! So a new one comes out, I have to have it.
    Similar to normal women's fascination with shoes.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-11-11 03:20 PM
    Impeccable timing....two of my buddies with HTC's are ripping into each other on facebook right now because one of them just purchased a device that didn't have dual core. You mean HTC actually sells a single core device in June/2011?? What are they smoking?
    06-11-11 03:35 PM
    It does. But I have a collection of BBerries. I love them! So a new one comes out, I have to have it.
    Similar to normal women's fascination with shoes.
    That one saved you quite nicely.
    06-11-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD