RIM and QNX are moving quickly to secure their lead in car infotainment!

http://crackberry.com/new-html5-sdk-...and-automakers

NVIDIA Tegra chips supported by QNX Car2

http://crackberry.com/qnx-include-su...ation-platform
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 10-16-12 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fixed links
    10-16-12 08:08 AM
    Yep. Awesome stuff. On the CB homepage... fixed your links

Super exciting news IMO... this is the kind of stuff that needs to get out there so people start understanding that BlackBerry 10 / QNX is more than just a phone OS.

Hmm... maybe it's time we add a forum on this site for QNX/BB in Cars?!
    10-16-12 08:16 AM
    Wow...a Tegra in a car. I think my entertainment system is still powered by a tiny monkey pushing buttons.
    10-16-12 08:25 AM
    I saw an AD for a Dodge Journey last night that showed a pop up showing an incoming call. It was like when you are Bridged with a BB and PlayBook! The family was out of their car, heard the notification and were running back to answer. It uses UConnect which is QNX but not Car2. Interesting to see features like this rolling out!
    10-16-12 08:28 AM
    I posted some thoughts on the article. Thought i'll share here.

I do think that its an excellent move to allow developers to join in the party for automotive industry. I can imagine how useful some location services app could be. Things like yelp, foursqaure, etc. Also of course for cars with built in front and rear cameras, i can only imagine what developer could do with these apis. Imagine a augmented reality turn by turn navigation on your built in infotainment system.

The bonus: car makers don't even need to build these apps themselves, allowing other people to do the work for them. Developers have a new platform. Consumer won't be restricted by only what the car manufacturer is willing to put into the system.

Or apps that are able to use information in OBD and then sync with an app that are available on phone as well. Then the users can just send it over to their garages/workshop. How great would that be? Or if the in built system doesn't have a data connection, they could make an app that will sync mileage, service information with a paired phone. Then the app on the phone will be able to schedule maintenance or whatsoever information.

so many possibilities.

Or, when the phone is paired with the built-in system, and that system is able to access OBD information. It can then make use of the phone's camera, along with the information from the OBD, to create an augmented reality app. Pop the hood, and then use your phone's camera to direct at the car/engine compartment, and then the app will show you the exact location of the part that is having issue.

Or, instead of installing a separate device to monitor oil pressure, water temp, battery volt, etc. Companies (like hondata, apexi, etc) can just hook it up directly to the built-in system. Then the built-in system could just display that info. Make an app that will pair the phone, and the phone can display even more information if the built-in system is unable to do so due to screen real estate.

Or, even a simple app for parking rates. Making use of the car's camera to create an augmented reality view of each location's parking rate.

Or when your phone is paired, and your friend sends you a location for you to go to, again, augmented reality, nearby parking locations, where has the cheapest rates, etc. Then when you leave the car, the phone becomes unpaired, it automatically set up a location pin on your phone. So vehicle can be easily found, especially in a huge carpark. If there are carpark availability information like some shopping malls do, the data could be integrated too.

so so so many possibilities.

This is what i call, Research In MOTION. Its exciting news definitely, more so than more L-series leaks imo. Like they say, BB10 is not just a phone OS, its an entirely new platform. Not just for phones and tablets, but for a whole load of other stuffs too.
    Dapper37 and m23haz like this.
    10-16-12 09:30 AM
    CrackBerry Kevin
    @crackberrykevin

I think it's time for Ford to throw away Sync and go all QNX. QNX to Include Support for NVIDIA Tegra Processor Family in QNX CAR 2 Application Platform | CrackBerry.com � and New HTML5 SDK from QNX Bridges the Gap Between App Developers and Automakers | CrackBerry.com

Kevin I like this tweet.

Had to drive a couple of Ford Focus rental cars Microsoft's UI is horrible IMO in that thing.
    10-16-12 09:44 AM
    Auto OEM's are gonna love the open source depositories RIM is proving too

Many people claimed that such things as "QNX Rapid development" are just buzzwords. Its nice to see the platform evolving as quickly as it is. BB 10 isn't even released and QNX Car platform is utilizing Blackberry Webworks.

People have no clue on how BB10 will grow and evolve like wild fire. A platform with no limitations period I'm lovn' it
    10-16-12 09:51 AM
    another thing super excited for eh. I hope they put out some aftermarket stuff once the bb10 comes out eh
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-16-12 10:41 AM
    now could be a good time to rebrand QNX to BlackBerry !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-16-12 11:22 AM