QNX revs up in-car technology
    While it may be under the gun to produce a world leading operating system for Research In Motion�s new BlackBerry 10 handsets, Ottawa�s QNX Software Systems Inc. is also forging ahead on other fronts.
    The Ottawa RIM subsidiary, which was purchased by the Waterloo-based firm in 2011 for $200 million, is pushing to remain the global market leader in providing software for in-car entertainment systems, a market that is expected to grow 12 per cent annually to reach $14.4 billion U.S. by 2016, according to researcher MarketsandMarkets in a recently released report.
    In 2011, more than 14 million vehicles shipped worldwide with in-car infotainment systems. QNX�s software was powering more than nine million of those vehicles, accounting for around 64 per cent of the global market. QNX�s biggest competitor is Microsoft Corp., which makes the software to power Ford Motor Co.�s Sync and My Touch systems.
    The company believes more than 11 million vehicles in 2012 will ship with QNX software powering their in-car entertainment systems, further entrenching the Ottawa company�s dominance.
    Kuhn said QNX is on a massive hiring spree [39 job openings], although he admits that some of those hires are being brought on to focus specifically on RIM�s new BlackBerry 10 Operating System.
    [...]
    The company recently moved into a new office at 1001 Farrar Rd., a 150,000-square-foot building formerly occupied by Dell Inc., giving it more than three times the space it previously occupied. While much of that space is being used to house new hires working on BlackBerry software, it�s also given the firm a garage capable of holding up to eight new demo cars.
    [...]
    The new location will see several new demo cars running new QNX software created and still leave the firm room to test infotainment systems in pre-production vehicles
    Derek Kuhn

�We�re going to see some things here soon that will really blow people�s minds.�

Enjoy
    ! (BB)10 cars !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-16-12 at 11:23 AM.
    07-16-12 11:21 AM
    I am waiting until I can use my phone like a controller for my car... I'm really good at Grand Turismo and would like to take these skills on the real road with BB10. It would also allow me to drive my car from the parking lot right up to the front door to pick myself up with.
    07-16-12 11:29 AM
    I am waiting until I can use my phone like a controller for my car... I'm really good at Grand Turismo and would like to take these skills on the real road with BB10. It would also allow me to drive my car from the parking lot right up to the front door to pick myself up with.
    Ahaha ... would you dare the Nurbugring ? lol
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-16-12 at 11:36 AM.
    Cesare21, drjay868 and rdkempt like this.
    07-16-12 11:31 AM
    If you're a programmer, a car buff and a BB enthusiast, QNX is the company to work for. Now i just wish i was a programmer and a car buff .
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 07-16-12 at 01:37 PM.
    Superfly_FR, bungaboy and drjay868 like this.
    07-16-12 12:15 PM
    Even if we could control our cars via our smartphones, like you can your boats it would be HIGHLY illegal to operate it when you are not inside it sadly, doesn't matter how many cameras are mounted, the insurance on boats is completely null/void if you operate it from your dock, you must be onboard.

and they are WAY more lenient on the water than on dry land
    07-16-12 12:17 PM
    Awesome Post Superfly!
    If QNX is dominating the car info-tainment market with their own operating system, then perhaps RIM can get a grip on (or even potentially dominate) the smart/super phone market.

Fingers Crossed!!! Come On BB10...
    07-16-12 12:36 PM
    Even if we could control our cars via our smartphones, like you can your boats it would be HIGHLY illegal to operate it when you are not inside it sadly
    Not if you're a spy that works for MI6.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    07-16-12 01:13 PM
    <THIS IS A JOKE>
    So if there is a problem controlling the car, I remove the battery, wait a few seconds and put it back in, right?
    <END OF JOKE>
    drjay868, rdkempt, pkcable and 3 others like this.
    07-16-12 01:21 PM
    You need the cloaking technology to get away with it though...
    07-16-12 01:22 PM
    <THIS IS A JOKE>
    So if there is a problem controlling the car, I remove the battery, wait a few seconds and put it back in, right?
    <END OF JOKE>
    Considering that their car infotainment rival is Microsoft, I'd rather do a battery pull than get the Blue Screen of DEATH!!!
    07-16-12 01:27 PM
    EDIT - PK

In any event, QNX (according to the OP in another thread) has miniscule revenues. Hopefully RIM will be able to capitalize on their $200mm investment.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-16-12 at 02:32 PM. Reason: PK
    07-16-12 01:56 PM
    EDIT - PK

In any event, QNX (according to the OP in another thread) has miniscule revenues. Hopefully RIM will be able to capitalize on their $200mm investment.
    For $200m, RIM bought a new OS base, a route into the auto industry for BlackBerrys and a bit more visibility.
    It would be short sighted to concentrate on QNX's revenue streams alone.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-16-12 at 02:33 PM. Reason: PK
    07-16-12 02:17 PM
    I can't wait! One thing I'm super excited about eh.
    07-16-12 02:34 PM
    Ok no one is in trouble, BUT it seems we took a joke a LITTLE too far, and as a result I had to sacrifice a few posts. Now get back on track or the bunny gets it!

drjay868 and jkomo001 like this.
    07-16-12 02:35 PM
    I think QNX was a brilliant move by RIM. It can be integrated with many services that requires separate devices to obtain.

[Imagine]
    1) Make a call on your BB10 phone. When you get into your car, the call switches over to your car's inbuilt speakers. Seamlessly, auto pairing when in proximity.

2) Use your phone to remote start the car to warm up engines and adjust the interior temperature.

3) Finding parked vehicle.

4) Obtain information regarding the car's parameters. Mileage, servicing records, perhaps even OBD? Prompting you on your phone when something is wrong. Automatically setting up reminders to service vehicle.

5) Continuous navigation. Navigate using the system in your car, when you get out of it, the phone continues your navigation on foot if need be. Seamlessly.

6) When the BB10 in your car which is bridged to your phone detects that your ETA might be delay for some reason, be it traffic or obstruction, it prompts you automatically in advance whether or not to move back your upcoming appointment and inform the attendees of that appointment.

and so much more possibilities.
    07-16-12 06:52 PM
    I have QNX running the MyGig Nav Radio RER in my Dodge and Chrysler.

It is a great system.

Can't wait for the newer systems.

The possibilities are endless.
    Superfly_FR and drjay868 like this.
    07-16-12 07:37 PM
    My dads BMW has QNX running his entire X5. No touch screen they uses a sort of scroll knob like the BBs used to have. Really nice system
    07-16-12 10:54 PM
    2) Use your phone to remote start the car to warm up engines and adjust the interior temperature.
    It would be nice if a BB10 phone could replace the key fob. Just slap some password protection on it and you're good to go.
    BBPandy, jkomo001 and drjay868 like this.
    07-16-12 11:04 PM
    I'm sure some of us would prefer to control Tim Neil's BATBERRY !

For those who don't know Tim, he's Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management at Research In Motion and builds by himself an amazing BatMobile like car.
    He's also an amazing contributor to BBui.js framework and an endless supportive guy.
    [I still wonder when this guy actually sleeps ]

Follow his adventures and give him support !
    Twitter @brcewane (says it all !)
    His project's blog : Building the BatBerry

To the editor's team : this would be a pretty nice subject
    to cover update (*ouch*), isn't it ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-17-12 at 02:19 AM.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    07-17-12 01:45 AM
    I have QNX running the MyGig Nav Radio RER in my Dodge and Chrysler.
    It is a great system.
    Can't wait for the newer systems.
    The possibilities are endless.
    Same with my Chrysler 300C here; I enjoy it every day (and the 200W+ of my Boston acoustics speakers )
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 01:50 AM
    I think QNX was a brilliant move by RIM. It can be integrated with many services that requires separate devices to obtain.

[Imagine]
    1) Make a call on your BB10 phone. When you get into your car, the call switches over to your car's inbuilt speakers. Seamlessly, auto pairing when in proximity.

3) Finding parked vehicle.

4) Obtain information regarding the car's parameters. Mileage, servicing records, perhaps even OBD? Prompting you on your phone when something is wrong. Automatically setting up reminders to service vehicle.

5) Continuous navigation. Navigate using the system in your car, when you get out of it, the phone continues your navigation on foot if need be. Seamlessly.

6) When the BB10 in your car which is bridged to your phone detects that your ETA might be delay for some reason, be it traffic or obstruction, it prompts you automatically in advance whether or not to move back your upcoming appointment and inform the attendees of that appointment.

and so much more possibilities.
    Yes hopefully. But car makers are free to integrate their qnx based in car systems to any phone platform they like. There is not an easy way for RIM to gain a unique advantage in the near term.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-17-12 01:57 AM
    Ya, someone SHOULD cover it... Again?- BatBerry | CrackBerry.com
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-17-12 01:58 AM
    Ya, someone SHOULD cover it... Again?- BatBerry | CrackBerry.com
    Ok, here are my fingers; make your day, grab a ruler, I deserve it lol.
    Yep, update is what I meant ... sry.
    07-17-12 02:18 AM
    Yes hopefully. But car makers are free to integrate their qnx based in car systems to any phone platform they like. There is not an easy way for RIM to gain a unique advantage in the near term.
    Sent from my flip-phone.
    Don't forget that cars infotainment systems are mostly OEMs ... so that it could be interesting to focus also on aftermarket brands like Pioneer, Clarion, Fujitsu, Panasonic ...
    You can grab some examples here : QNX Auto Blog: Making the smartphone connection: The state of automotive navigation in Japan
    Also note that Berrys BB7+ have the NFC ... and that could lead to unmatched features like "your phone is your key" (pure speculation) or help to resolve current users compatibility issues ...
    Connectivity between navigation systems and smartphones remains an issue in Japan. Conventional cell phones are equipped with the Bluetooth DUN profile, which enables data communication between the nav system and the phone, but unfortunately, some carriers still don’t support this profile. Until they do, lack of connectivity will remain a roadblock.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-17-12 at 02:33 AM.
    Just Me likes this.
    07-17-12 02:29 AM
    OOOH I love this one!
    I can just imagine an e-mail going out to your meeting contacts saying you will be late due to traffic/whatever, an updated ETA, and a signature line: "Autosend from my awesome BB10"

People would notice!

Syn
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 03:32 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD