The security updates come from Google. BlackBerry just passes them on. Cut and paste = copy
    That's ridiculous. BlackBerry doesn't own the Android operating system, so there's nothing to copy. HP, Dell, Lenovo etc all run Windows and push Windows security updates, I guess they're copying too.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 11:34 AM
    A BB10.4 it would have needed with new features, Qt5, Android 5.x or 6.x runtime etc. would make it even more expensive as Priv already is. Who should buy such a device? A few Crackberry diehards?
    Obviously, the few crackberry diehards bought the Priv. Even Chen admitted that they were fewer than expected.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-01-16 11:36 AM
    And the same poeple who bought the Priv would have bought a BB10 Priv?
    Of course, they sold less Android Privs than expected. That just doesn't prove your assumption a BB10 Priv would have sold better...
    techvisor likes this.
    04-01-16 11:39 AM
    And the same poeple who bought the Priv would have bought a BB10 Priv?
    Of course, they sold less Android Privs than expected. That just doesn't prove your assumption a BB10 Priv would have sold better...
    Trust me, best to just leave it here. If we wanted to say what should be said we'd just end up with an infraction. He's going to respond to all posts in a similar manner. Regardless of logic and reason we may present.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower and TgeekB like this.
    04-01-16 11:41 AM
    Android, nexus security updates? Isn't that copycat?
    Yeah, how dare BlackBerry have a consistent update schedule.
    They should have updates fester on servers for months at a time, like the good old days.
    04-01-16 11:41 AM
    That's ridiculous. BlackBerry doesn't own the Android operating system, so there's nothing to copy. HP, Dell, Lenovo etc all run Windows and push Windows security updates, I guess they're copying too.

Posted via CB10
    HP used to have their own OSes. They failed and then adopted other OSes: android, windows, even Linux.
    For example, my HP laptop runs Suse enterprise linux, directly installed by HP for internal use.

Blackberry did the same.

Dell and Lenovo never had their own OS. They are hardware companies. BlackBerry is software, according to Chen and the latest report.

Point here is that BlackBerry does not do anything for the android security updates. It takes them from Google and passes them on. It copies them from Google and passes them on to carriers and customers.
    That's it.
    I know you understand what I am saying. You just pretend you don't.
    04-01-16 11:45 AM
    The problem, in my opinion, was the high markup of the PRIV, especially compared to competitors, and the inferior build quality of Blackberry phones.
    And despite what a vocal minority here and elsewhere proclaimed, sliders are not a highly attractive form factor.
    04-01-16 11:46 AM
    If blackberry wanted to test the android waters, why not release a cheap 5.5" touch andriod for $300? OnePlus and Lenovo are able to sell those all day and make money or break even. Instead, lets make a $700 slider and take a loss.
    roleli, Witmen and Bbnivende like this.
    04-01-16 11:46 AM
    And despite what a vocal minority here and elsewhere proclaimed, sliders are not a highly attractive form factor.
    Like any phone with a keypad nowadays.
    techvisor, eyesopen1111 and TGR1 like this.
    04-01-16 11:47 AM
    HP used to have their own OSes. They failed and then adopted other OSes: android, windows, even Linux.
    For example, my HP laptop runs Suse enterprise linux, directly installed by HP for internal use.

Blackberry did the same.

Dell and Lenovo never had their own OS. They are hardware companies. BlackBerry is software, according to Chen and the latest report.

Point here is that BlackBerry does not do anything for the android security updates. It takes them from Google and passes them on. It copies them from Google and passes them on to carriers and customers.
    That's it.
    I know you understand what I am saying. You just pretend you don't.
    What? It's not like cut and paste. Each OEM does have to put some effort ensuring the updates work on their phone models.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-01-16 11:52 AM
    So, this is really just more of the same. Everything is still pretty bad. But it's all going to get better. Just give us a bit more time.

Here is the bad news, the way I see it:

1. BIS fees are 30% of revenues which are themselves down 30%. I believe that last year they were 40% of revenues. So, BIS fees are down almost 50% year over year. I think the decline is accelerating (at least percentage-wise), which makes sense given no new BBOS devices are being made. But that means there is over $500 million of annual revenue - with VERY high margins - that is going away FAST.

2. The Software and Services revenues are only 70% recurring. The non-recurring stuff, which is terrific, can only be used once. It is a depleting category. The Software model really depends on the recurring piece. That's around $100 million in revenues this quarter. So, call it $400 million on an annualized basis. I think a third to a half of that came from the Good acquisition. I think that means that true organic growth is anemic at best in this division.

3. Hardware unit sales were HALF of Q4 last year. And at current volumes, there is almost no line of sight to 3 million unit annual volumes. New devices could certainly help volumes, but as suggested by many above, that would likely drive down ASP, and drive up the break-even volumes. The hardware business is effectively finished. It will likely survive in some form as a specialized direct to customer regulated/government device, but I'd wager that would be at around 1 million units per year, with huge ASP, and break-even economics. Just to be able to provide the high end solution they have committed to these users. The only reason this will only play out over 6 to 10 quarters is that ripping off the bandage faster would result in around a 20%-30% additional revenue decline and the stock would simply plummet.

All in all, no real change. The business may eventually become a mostly software oriented business with around $500 million of revenue per year, generating maybe $100 million of earnings and trading at around $2 Billion equity value. I think that implies a stock price of around $4 per share. My stock is down 85%, and worth so little compared to where I bought it, that I may as well just hold on to it and hope I'm dead wrong.
    04-01-16 12:04 PM
    Is John Chan pulling a trick from Thor's playbook? going the android route, show crap sales, get fired, and take a golden parachute?
    04-01-16 12:06 PM
    10.3.4 at 2018? While we aren't talking about 10.4.x
    Thats the obvious massage from BlackBerry BB10 is died . The question why BlackBerry do not make it clear for us no more BB10.
    We just love the os and if there is no more devices we will go for another android OEM but not a blackberry for sure.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 12:07 PM
    What? It's not like cut and paste. Each OEM does have to put some effort ensuring the updates work on their phone models.
    Sure, but it's a minor effort of verification, not of dicovering security bugs. Not like updating your own OS. This is why Chen moved to android. To save money on that effort, and still he failed...
    04-01-16 12:10 PM
    10.3.4 at 2018? While we aren't talking about 10.4.x
    Thats the obvious massage from BlackBerry BB10 is died . The question why BlackBerry do not make it clear for us no more BB10.
    We just love the os and if there is no more devices we will go for another android OEM but not a blackberry for sure.

Posted via CB10
    Chen made it pretty clear last year when he said that 10.3.3 would be an update in March and than BB10 would go into maintenance release.
    10.3.4 or 10.4 or whatever is a new twist this morning.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-01-16 12:14 PM
    Yeah, how dare BlackBerry have a consistent update schedule.
    They should have updates fester on servers for months at a time, like the good old days.
    Who said that they shouldn't take the security updates from Google and pass them as quickly as possible to their customers?
    04-01-16 12:17 PM
    No, 10.3.4 was mentioned the same day he "announced" 10.3.3.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11950684
    10.4 is not going to happen
    04-01-16 12:18 PM
    Chen made it pretty clear last year when he said that 10.3.3 would be an update in March and than BB10 would go into maintenance release.
    It is because sales of android are not enough. He realized recently that he still has a lot of bb10 customers who did not want to buy the Priv. That's when he started talking bb10 again and pretending to be offended by facebook and whatsapp.
    JulesDB, wojt7 and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-01-16 12:20 PM
    No, 10.3.4 was mentioned the same day he "announced" 10.3.3.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11950684
    My bad, my brain is a little foggy from loosing thousands of dollars in my RIMM & BBRY stock over the years and the false claims by the 2 amigo co-founder CEOs, Thor and Chan.

Wonder what Jim and Mike are doing these days.
    04-01-16 12:21 PM
    It is because sales of android are not enough. He realized recently that he still has a lot of bb10 customers who did not want to buy the Priv. That's when he started talking bb10 again and pretending to be offended by facebook and whatsapp.
    Oh boy, wake up...
    Oh boy, wake up...
    I haven't gone to sleep yet. I believe he killed Bb10 a long time ago and I have no illusion, but Chen was delusional with android, so he is trying to sell whatever he can to make up for the dismal Priv sales.
    JulesDB and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-01-16 12:25 PM
    HP, Dell, Lenovo etc all run Windows and push Windows security updates,

No they do not. They have nothing to do with Windows Updates, which are pushed by Microsoft and Microsoft alone.
    04-01-16 12:25 PM
    Chan looks defeated on that interview on CNBC. He seems like a man who's seeing his options are running out.
    crackberry_geek and JeepBB like this.
    04-01-16 12:27 PM
    Pretty sad that the Classic is out of production due to parts becoming obsolete. I said it from the get-go that if the Classic was released as a mid or low range device, it would fail.... Now it's wings are fully clipped, no more flying.

They need to release a premium Android device in the Classic form factor
    04-01-16 12:38 PM
237 12345 ...