Are you two the same person? Twins maybe?

Anyway...I believe it was Mike that said app permissions were also restored when you restored from a backup on iOS.

That is in fact the opposite of what I said. Following a restore from a backup, BB10 resets all the app permissions to 'unchecked' status, including the ones that you could not 'unselect' when you first installed the app. That means you can override the app permissions that were forced on you to accept when you first installed the app.

Posted via CB10
    I did not know that. I thought that was what you meant but it looked so good that I wasn't sure about it. There are a couple of BlackBerry world apps whose permissions I don't control but I'd like to: ghost commander, 7 digital and Kobo. They must be android ports and I don't trust them.

I have never done backups. Do the backups go in the BlackBerry cloud or can you just do them on your PC via USB cable?
    04-07-16 11:59 PM
    I think the biggest mistake was only to release the Priv as an android device. Since I cannot believe it takes such an amount of money to adopt BB10 to the Priv's hardware (the passport also has a touch enabled physical keyboard), I just see some missed sales here. The BB loyalist won't go android, and the other way around. In fact nobody knew if the android community is/was waiting for a phone with a PKB.

I think Chen should've released the Priv with both OS' since the BB10 development is a sunk cost anyway. And to top it off, by releasing the phone on both OS', you don't give such a signal as "we are giving up on BB10 and go android all the way" to app developers and your community.
    04-08-16 05:57 AM
    I think the biggest mistake was only to release the Priv as an android device.
    Indeed. The target audience is too small.

I think Chen should've released the Priv with both OS' since the BB10 development is a sunk cost anyway
    You underestimate the costs a further development of BB10 to a 2016-like level would have been needed. New runtime, support for newer frameworks, new drivers, new features. The Android Priv already has a pricing problem. A BB10 Priv would be so expensive it had absolutely no chance on the market (like no BB10 device ever had).
    JeepBB and BeheGOD like this.
    04-08-16 07:17 AM
    it's definitely disappointing but hopefully with the priv being available in newer markets and now available on verizon, sales will pick up this quarter
    04-08-16 09:04 AM
    Sale figures will stay the same at best without a decent reduction of Privs pricing. To be honest I'd be really surprised if they won't go down.
    04-08-16 09:55 AM
    I did not know that. I thought that was what you meant but it looked so good that I wasn't sure about it. There are a couple of BlackBerry world apps whose permissions I don't control but I'd like to: ghost commander, 7 digital and Kobo. They must be android ports and I don't trust them.

I have never done backups. Do the backups go in the BlackBerry cloud or can you just do them on your PC via USB cable?
    I always backup to a local computer via USB. The permissions I am referring to are the ones that pop up in the dialogue box when the app is installed.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 10:28 AM

On your PC/Mac, so they're still vulnerable to whichever other conspiracies are out to get your and only your data.
    04-08-16 10:31 AM
    In October 2015, I stated my position on pricing.. US$699 was not going to cut it. It had to be $399 idealy $499 max given it was a single device.

The experimental PRIV (Blackberry Android) priced itself out of the market at $699 (even higher at Amazon)
    - Price too high
    - Not everyone wants a Physical Keyboard (PKB)
    - Not everyone wants a slider

Simply, as I continue to repeat, there should have 3/4 devices (tweaked form my previous post)

- the PRIV as is(maybe 64GB) US$549-$599
    - All touch PRIV-M (same as PRIV, 32GB, except no slider, no keyboard) US$399-$449
    - All touch PRIV-S (with 16GB, maybe flat screen, no slider, no keyboard) US$299-$349
    (The only thing I would want changed, in all three models, is the front facing camera.)

There were multiple models of Z10, Q10, Z30, Classic and Passport because of the radio mechanism, so I don't buy that as being an issue . Keeping the internals basically the same except for internal storage would keep production costs down.

The only other twist would be a PRIV with PKB like the Classic but while while I don't mind the keyboard you have to listen to the market. The removal of the PKB and slider mechanism has got to account for a good US$50-100

The idea would have been to have multiple price points, provided multiple options and covered all bases.

I still maintain a 16GB iPhone in the hand of a person who can't afford a 64GB iPhone still makes him feel like the owner of a 64GB iPhone. Perception is everything. The same would work for the PRIV.
    Last edited by roleli; 04-25-16 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    04-10-16 12:22 AM
    On your PC/Mac, so they're still vulnerable to whichever other conspiracies are out to get your and only your data.
    Yes, I appreciate the sarcasm, but I don't trust my Mac, only my Linux PC.
    That's why I have never backed up my phones and I managed fine.
    I just transfer the files I need to have backed up on my Linux PC or external memory.
    Has worked beautifully for me for over 8 years. No Link, hardly any Blend. I don't trust Blend either, just in case you were going to ask..
    04-10-16 01:39 AM
    Simply, as I continue to repeat, there should have 3/4 devices (tweaked form my previous post)
    I have to agree. They needed to cover the mid to high end with different price points. However I also think using the PKB as a differentiator is important, otherwise there is little to separate a BlackBerry device from any other. I would have liked to see something along the lines of a $300 slab, a $400 with a PKB, and a 500 with a slider perhaps. I know a $300 device would get me interested, and the extra $100 would make me splurge for the PKB. I certainly could not consider a $800 device at all.

Posted via CB10
    roleli likes this.
    04-24-16 08:24 PM
    In October 2015, I stated my position on pricing.. US$699 was not going to cut it. It had to be $399 idealy $499 max given it was a single device.

<snip>
    The problem is that BB simply can't turn a profit at those prices, and they don't have other big lines of business to draw profits from to sustain those prices. Pricing phones like that would mean more losses in the hardware department, which is exactly what Chen is trying to avoid.

Plus, for each of those different models, BB would have to make 3 or 4 sub-models with different radio packages in order to be compatible with the various carriers around the world. The production numbers on each submodel would be so low that it would be cost-prohibitive, even with many shared components, and that would further drive prices up.

Remember: BB isn't some lean startup with a couple hundred people working in East Asia - they're a big company with thousands of employees in North America, who all make much higher wages, and they've got to be able to pay for all of that. Thus, they need higher profit margins than many of the companies they're competing with in order to survive, much less do well. Asking BB to compete with East Asian prices is completely unrealistic - and BB is hoping that BB fans, of all people, are willing to pay for the extra value they believe BB brings to the table...
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-25-16 06:49 PM
    I think you are going to get your wish for 3 android devices, but it looks like it is going to shape up like this:

Priv - slider and premium device
    A full touch screen device
    A classic style device with physical keyboard

The problem for blackberry is going to be trying to get the same cpu and ram as the other android models is their pricing area. Hopefully we all three of those device blackberry can reach that 3 million device mark. With Sprint not caring blackberry devices, then blackberry should focus on coming up with a way to support as many bands in a phone as possible in order to cut down on manufacturing cost for sub models.
    roleli likes this.
    04-26-16 01:39 AM
237 ... 8910