I do not understand the adverse comments about BlackBerry 10 when you have never used a device operating on it. I am certain you are aware it is 3 easy downloads to also have Cobalt's GPS or SNAP if one wishes. 4 App stores?? Pretty damn amazing for a mobile OS is it not? Can your 9900 on OS7 or your mid tiered Android do so?

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    You shouldn't have to use things like Snap and Cobalt to get the apps you need or want. You just shouldn't have to. If you're willing to accept that, that's fine...for you, but let's not act as if everyone should be willing to accept having to use workarounds.
    04-06-16 06:03 AM
    I do not understand the adverse comments about BlackBerry 10 when you have never used a device operating on it. I am certain you are aware it is 3 easy downloads to also have Cobalt's GPS or SNAP if one wishes. 4 App stores?? Pretty damn amazing for a mobile OS is it not? Can your 9900 on OS7 or your mid tiered Android do so?

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    Ay, there's the rub. There is no need to do that on the mid tiered Android, or any kosher Google Android device. Plus, given the fact that the device is running Android and not some runtime, app compatibility is a much better proposition, especially in terms of things like Google Play Services.

Now, you might say that the latter is patchable, but a) it doesn't work all of the time, and b) people are dumb.
    04-06-16 06:52 AM
    Now, you might say that the latter is patchable, but a) it doesn't work all of the time, and b) people are dumb.
    c) All your vaunted "productivity" goes out the window when you're forced to do patches and workarounds (which may or may not even work) all the time just to get basic functionality that other platforms have at the tap of a button.
    Bbnivende and Jerry A like this.
    04-06-16 07:34 AM
    You shouldn't have to use things like Snap and Cobalt to get the apps you need or want. You just shouldn't have to. If you're willing to accept that, that's fine...for you, but let's not act as if everyone should be willing to accept having to use workarounds.
    You shouldn't have to download a file manager app either, and many other apps that are built-in in bb10 that you have to download in android.
    These are all minor irrelevant points.

I don't understand why some former BlackBerry 10 users or crackberry android users rejoice that Bb10 will be discontinued at some point in the future.
    It doesn't make android work better or not datamine, nor will it improve the sales of the priv.

It only reduces competition and everyone's freedom of choice.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-06-16 08:09 AM
    You shouldn't have to download a file manager app either, and many other apps that are built-in in bb10 that you have to download in android.
    These are all minor irrelevant points.

I don't understand why some former BlackBerry 10 users or crackberry android users rejoice that Bb10 will be discontinued at some point in the future.
    It doesn't make android work better or not datamine, nor will it improve the sales of the priv.

It only reduces competition and everyone's freedom of choice.
    I don't think anyone rejoice on this. I think some of us seeing it as inevitabe and applause BlackBerry 's effort to prepare for it.

And then some of us argue that BlackBerry 's Android strategy wasn't well executed... hint hint, high end full touch Android.

Security awareness is on the rise, but physical keyboard (or slider for factor) is now a limiting factor: on battery, on front facing camera, on price competence, on build quality, brand image.

All touch, high end!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    04-06-16 08:24 AM
    3 easy downloads is a work around for the Play Store? Are people who own smart phones that inept? I downloaded the Amazon App store on my Samsung Android tablet and had to allow the tablet to do so. Is that a work around as well? I used a Samsung Note 3 and had to download a SMS client (Textra), an email client (Blue Mail) and BBM. Those were but 3 of the downloads and "work arounds" I had to use to get it usable. I simply prefer BlackBerry 10. If others don't I could honestly care less.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-06-16 11:49 PM
    The answer is in your comment itself. All those dizzying workarounds just to get the apps that I NEED (and I'm not even sure if the app/s would actually work even after the patches are applied).

Whereas, on my "mid-tiered Android device," the apps simply work OUT OF THE BOX.

My 9900 is used ONLY as a work phone. Calls/SMS/email.

And I have played around with a BB10 device before (Z10). Had a not-so-memorable experience with it. Not going back there.

*ME173X
    How long ago did you play around with a Z10? (Was it 10.2.1 or higher? Admittedly BlackBerry 10 was half baked at release) Ever try a Passport or Classic or anything on 10.3.1? I have 4 Samsung Tab Pro's and not ALL the Android Apps simply work out of the box. Did you root your Android?

04-06-16 11:55 PM
    Ay, there's the rub. There is no need to do that on the mid tiered Android, or any kosher Google Android device. Plus, given the fact that the device is running Android and not some runtime, app compatibility is a much better proposition, especially in terms of things like Google Play Services.

My Samsung Tab Pro tablet does not do anything better than my Passport or Classic for my needs. I did have the work around of adding a launcher and several apps to get the tablet to operate in some similarity to my BlackBerry 10 devices. I also experience app crashes on my Android. Sorry Android is most definitely not as bug free or simplistic as many here would like to believe. It's also fragmented beyond belief due to the nature of OEM's no longer supporting or newer versions running like crap on 2 year or less devices. My Z10 works better today than new in '13. Outside of the Nexus 5, which will not get "N" release, what other non rooted older Android runs better today on a newer release?

04-07-16 12:08 AM
    So, he has stated that his hardware target is 3 M/year. It's pretty clear he's not going to sell that many Privs, even allowing for the staggered launch. To have even a chance at hitting that target, he has to launch another device. What we don't know is whether he thinks it's worth trying to do.
    Agreed.
    If the accumulative sales don't make the 5(former mark), uh, 3 mill(latest sales mark), then Chen validates his reasoning for getting out of the handset business. Which , to me, is all he's waiting on so it looks like he really had no other choice. Based on sales numbers, options for BlackBerry are very limited. So, sales are needed by moving units and Chen really expected to move units........ without any marketing? Yeah, ok. 😉

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ 🍺🍸✌🏾
    04-07-16 12:32 AM
    More than good enough for most.
    If by "most" you mean 0.3%, then sure. Not certain how that math works though...

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    04-07-16 07:50 AM
    Personally, I have always appreciated how on BB10 when restoring apps to my phone via BBLINK from a backup file, I get control of all my app permissions back...even ones that were not optional when I originally installed the app. What other mobile phone OS allows you to do that? But, once again, I digress...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 08:01 AM
    Personally, I have always appreciated how on BB10 when restoring apps to my phone via BBLINK from a backup file, I get control of all my app permissions back...even ones that were not optional when I originally installed the app. What other mobile phone OS allows you to do that?
    I believe iOS does.
    04-07-16 08:15 AM
    If by "most" you mean 0.3%, then sure. Not certain how that math works though...

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Which crevice did you pull this 0.3% number out of?
    04-07-16 08:46 AM
    I believe iOS does.
    It does, indeed.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-07-16 08:49 AM
    Which crevice did you pull this 0.3% number out of?
    He's mistaken. It's actually 0.2% (marketshare).

*ME173X
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and kvndoom like this.
    04-07-16 08:50 AM
    3 easy downloads is a work around for the Play Store? Are people who own smart phones that inept? I downloaded the Amazon App store on my Samsung Android tablet and had to allow the tablet to do so. Is that a work around as well? I used a Samsung Note 3 and had to download a SMS client (Textra), an email client (Blue Mail) and BBM. Those were but 3 of the downloads and "work arounds" I had to use to get it usable. I simply prefer BlackBerry 10. If others don't I could honestly care less.

I wonder how many iOS and Android users... have even visited a tech forum before?

I wonder how many iOS, Android and even BlackBerry users... would download files from an unknown party and install them?

If a new BB10 users were to ask if Cobalt's solution will work in six months or a year.... can you guarantee him that they will?

And what is the percentage of Apps that current work without also going through the patching process every time the app is updated, what will it be in 12 months?

While I preferred BB10's UI and features... I had to go with a device with modern hardware (Z30 and LEAP weren't really much of an upgrade) and with an ecosystem that has a clear future. Cobalt provided a means for existing user to get the most out of their devices, he didn't create a reason to actually buy a BB10 device.
    04-07-16 08:51 AM
    It does, indeed.
    Really? Would you mind describing exactly how this is accomplished?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 09:33 AM
    Really? Would you mind describing exactly how this is accomplished?

Posted via CB10
    When you restore from a backup, either from iTunes or from iCloud, app data, including permissions is restored.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-07-16 11:55 AM
    It's the go to comment. If only they had marketed.....
    Some people don't want to look at the big picture, they're just looking for excuses.
    It's not just that - but *without* marketing, products (any product) don't have a great chance. How else would a consumer know about it?

The issue is *branding* and I think it shows a lack of vision in BB's upper management, and/or (like Troy was saying) not having the cash flow to go "all in" on what this would require.

But I can't help but think they should have treated Priv as a loss leader. It's a very well designed device, it got good reviews. Even if not many more people bought it, you need to "change the conversation" to quote Don Draper in Mad Men. BB needs to re-brand themselves to a new generation, even if they're going to be a niche to a weird collection of security phobes, hackers, business users, 'pro-sumers', the occasional older person who still wants a PKB, etc.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-07-16 12:53 PM
    It's not just that - but *without* marketing, products (any product) don't have a great chance. How else would a consumer know about it?

The issue is *branding* and I think it shows a lack of vision in BB's upper management, and/or (like Troy was saying) not having the cash flow to go "all in" on what this would require.

But I can't help but think they should have treated Priv as a loss leader. It's a very well designed device, it got good reviews. Even if not many more people bought it, you need to "change the conversation" to quote Don Draper in Mad Men. BB needs to re-brand themselves to a new generation, even if they're going to be a niche to a weird collection of security phobes, hackers, business users, 'pro-sumers', the occasional older person who still wants a PKB, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I think Chen has told us enough that he isn't "emotional" about hardware, and that his focus is on building software and services.
    04-07-16 01:52 PM
    I can't stand Chen. No vision for HW whatsoever, and he has the nerve to complain that he'll have to leave the HW business.

Please John, do us all a favor and exit HW already. It's obvious you are an utter failure in this business. And frankly we are all tired of listening to you talk about exiting. Just do it or STFU and make a product people want to buy (translation: no more odd shaped hybrid phones with HW KB's that nobody wants!!!)
    04-07-16 02:13 PM
    When you restore from a backup, either from iTunes or from iCloud, app data, including permissions is restored.
    That's not what I said at all. How can you say iOS does the same thing when you don't even understand what I'm talking about?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 02:17 PM
    That's not what I said at all. How can you say iOS does the same thing when you don't even understand what I'm talking about?

Posted via CB10
    I'm saying it does the same thing because I've done it on iOS. If you can't understand that, I question your comprehension abilities.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-07-16 02:24 PM
    Please explain in detail what you think you're talking about, then.
    MikeX74 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    04-07-16 02:58 PM
    Are you two the same person? Twins maybe?

Anyway...I believe it was Mike that said app permissions were also restored when you restored from a backup on iOS.

That is in fact the opposite of what I said. Following a restore from a backup, BB10 resets all the app permissions to 'unchecked' status, including the ones that you could not 'unselect' when you first installed the app. That means you can override the app permissions that were forced on you to accept when you first installed the app.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 03:33 PM
237 ... 78910