Any ground you gained would be lost as soon as the opened BlackBerry World. The ecosystem is at least as important as the physical hardware in these modern times. Perhaps more important.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    There are two app stores available on BlackBerry 10 devices out of the box.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    04-04-16 03:01 PM
    There are two app stores available on BlackBerry 10 devices out of the box.

And neither one is even close to being in the same league with the Google or Apple offerings.
    <sigh>
    Its just going to keep on like this until there is not even a ripple in the water where the ship used to be.
    </sigh>
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 04-04-16 at 06:11 PM.
    04-04-16 03:22 PM
    And neither one is even close to being in the same league with the Google or Apple offerings.
    Both of them combined aren't even close to being in the same league with Google's or Apple's offerings.
    04-04-16 04:14 PM
    Any ground you gained would be lost as soon as the opened BlackBerry World. The ecosystem is at least as important as the physical hardware in these modern times. Perhaps more important.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    No, any new BlackBerry all touch phone would be an Android.
    04-04-16 04:17 PM
    Chan looks defeated on that interview on CNBC. He seems like a man who's seeing his options are running out.
    Yeah he didn't come across very well and the way he talks will not make people confident about BlackBerry the company. A couple of quotes for example:

"what all the feedback I gotten that nobody's really having problem with my phone is more like the pricing point the number of people that wanted to buy the phone, that needed to buy the phone and some of my distribution that needs to beef up a little bit."

"I think the audience are quite of a kind of a higher end audience that likes security that prefer privacy and we are the most secure Android phone we have."
    JeepBB and roleli like this.
    04-04-16 11:00 PM
    That makes sense, but you have to have a product that is successful first. Apple was able to build a whole series of iPhones because the iPhone brand is strong. That started with the iPhone and 3GS. Once that brand was established, then yes you can leverage that. BB has to have an iconic successful model to build from.

You may be right. I think Chen, though, became convinced that the PKB was a key differentiator for BlackBerry.
    No but he did try to convince us that he was convinced.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-05-16 01:16 AM
    This is totally false... BlackBerry adds their own security patches which also includes Google security patches.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    Please provide detailed backup for this. AFAIK, BlackBerry isn't doing anything to secure Android other than what is passed by Google and other outside companies.

Anything that BlackBerry changes would cause forking issues.
    04-05-16 12:16 PM
    Please provide detailed backup for this. AFAIK, BlackBerry isn't doing anything to secure Android other than what is passed by Google and other outside companies.

I did find this about that root vulnerability a few weeks ago: BSRT-2016-002 Vulnerability in Android/Linux kernel impacts BlackBerry PRIV smartphones

Further, BlackBerry PRIV smartphones use a unique security system to prevent persistent compromise. Attempts to use this vulnerability to gain persistent elevated privileges on a BlackBerry PRIV are likely to fail with an error. Any compromise would not persist after a reboot.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-05-16 12:53 PM

This blog post has a good list of security improvements BB has made in Priv as compared to other Android phones:

Why BlackBerry?s Android is Best for Security and Privacy | Inside BlackBerry
    idssteve likes this.
    04-05-16 01:56 PM
    Thanks for those links. A little information can be effective "marketing". Once found.
    04-05-16 03:04 PM
    I did find this about that root vulnerability a few weeks ago: BSRT-2016-002 Vulnerability in Android/Linux kernel impacts BlackBerry PRIV smartphones
    They bought that from someone else hardened Android kernel. They used https://grsecurity.net/ code. Just look at the about for the kernel. They don't have the skills involved to make their own stuff on Android.
    04-05-16 04:11 PM
    They bought that from someone else hardened Android kernel. They used https://grsecurity.net/ code. Just look at the about for the kernel. They don't have the skills involved to make their own stuff on Android.
    So what? They don't have the money to do internally at this stage. They haven't ever had the money to compete in hardware since 2011-2012 because of flattening then declining BIS revenues and BB10 development costs. To offer the Priv with some unique security features is pretty impressive for a company thought of as dead by pretty much the rest of the industry. Couple that with convincing major carriers to buy the phone, especially Verizon, is pretty impressive. Everybody acts like BlackBerry has Apple's balance sheet, BlackBerry doesn't and never did.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 04:37 PM
    So what? They don't have the money to do internally at this stage. They haven't ever had the money to compete in hardware since 2011-2012 because of flattening then declining BIS revenues and BB10 development costs. To offer the Priv with some unique security features is pretty impressive for a company thought of as dead by pretty much the rest of the industry. Couple that with convincing major carriers to buy the phone, especially Verizon, is pretty impressive. Everybody acts like BlackBerry has Apple's balance sheet, BlackBerry doesn't and never did.

Posted via CB10
    I was responding that BlackBerry does their own security patches. If you agree that they get the code from others and just package it up, why didn't you correct the poster yourself? So you agree that BlackBerry doesn't actually do it's own patching of Android.
    04-05-16 04:47 PM
    I was responding that BlackBerry does their own security patches. If you agree that they get the code from others and just package it up, why didn't you correct the poster yourself? So you agree that BlackBerry doesn't actually do it's own patching of Android.
    My point is simply who cares one way or the other. Old BlackBerry management used to get stuck in the weeds like this constantly....these are trivial arguments with misinformation being corrected...you're right.....but how many additional phones will it sell?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 04:58 PM
    Both of them combined aren't even close to being in the same league with Google's or Apple's offerings.
    They're more than good enough.
    04-05-16 06:29 PM
    They're more than good enough.
    ...for you.
    04-05-16 06:35 PM
    ...for you.
    More than good enough for most.
    04-05-16 07:11 PM
    Remind me again how many BB10 and Fire phones were sold put together?
    04-05-16 07:37 PM
    Even John Chen admitted that the Amazon app store idea failed. He was hoping that the Fire would have been a success.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-05-16 09:29 PM
    For most BB10 fanboys.

*ME173X
    04-05-16 10:18 PM
    For most BB10 fanboys.

*ME173X
    I do not understand the adverse comments about BlackBerry 10 when you have never used a device operating on it. I am certain you are aware it is 3 easy downloads to also have Cobalt's GPS or SNAP if one wishes. 4 App stores?? Pretty damn amazing for a mobile OS is it not? Can your 9900 on OS7 or your mid tiered Android do so?

04-06-16 12:38 AM
    The mid tiered Android has a fully stocked App Store so no need for workarounds!
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    04-06-16 01:11 AM
    I do not understand the adverse comments about BlackBerry 10 when you have never used a device operating on it. I am certain you are aware it is 3 easy downloads to also have Cobalt's GPS or SNAP if one wishes. 4 App stores?? Pretty damn amazing for a mobile OS is it not? Can your 9900 on OS7 or your mid tiered Android do so?

The answer is in your comment itself. All those dizzying workarounds just to get the apps that I NEED (and I'm not even sure if the app/s would actually work even after the patches are applied).

Whereas, on my "mid-tiered Android device," the apps simply work OUT OF THE BOX.

My 9900 is used ONLY as a work phone. Calls/SMS/email.

And I have played around with a BB10 device before (Z10). Had a not-so-memorable experience with it. Not going back there.

*ME173X
    04-06-16 01:14 AM

Snap is fine but soon enough the runtime will be too old to run current apps efficiently. It is a downward slope.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 01:14 AM
    I wonder if the price of the 808 has come down to point that it would allow blackberry to use that cpu for a middle rage full touch screen device? I got the feeling the full touch screen device is going to look a lot a like the priv on the outside and inside. I can see them going with a lcd screen rather than oled to save a little money.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 01:56 AM
237 ... 678910