Really? Please check the number of phones sold in December 2014.
    There has been a steady and significant drop in the number of phones sold quarter on quarter, and you are assuming all phones sold this quarter were only Priv's. That obviously is wrong.
    Now you can all see that the number of BlackBerry App downloads in Google store actually reflects the real priv total numbers sold last quarter and this quarter. Pathetic!
    Have to agree with that for now. Going forward not sure what happens when someone does a factory reset, but going forward I don't think there's going to be as much curiosity about sales.

The problem with Chen's 3 Million number is he said it was based on that $315 ASP. If the next device is a mid-range phone at a mid-range price, the ASP will drop and thus sales will have to increase. Or he'll need to keep the ASP high... which he might can do in the enterprise market.

The way Chen talked it sounded like he was moving forward with plans for changing the way they distribute phones (direct sales). So have to assume the only reason to do that is if he plans to make at least one more new Android device.
    04-01-16 09:14 AM
    Just my 2 cents I think they should have released a Vienna like device with high end specs instead of a torch like slider to me just a Android slab and people could have purchased a Sammy or many other established Androids at a cheaper price.
    Bbnivende and roleli like this.
    04-01-16 09:15 AM
    Obviously you do not want to read the numbers.
    At least I am able to read and interpret them. A thing you have to learn

The total number of phones sold is down with the Priv compared to the quarters without the Priv.
    And that means that a BB10 Priv would have sold better?

So low that, for the first time, he is ashamed to include the number of phones sold this quarter, of whatever type.
    This happened before already. We always had problems to get detailed numbers splitted by OS and we never had numbers of individual devices.
    04-01-16 09:17 AM
    But Android did change the cost associated with hardware.... .
    Not only the OS, but mainly the layoffs of personnel.
    I assume they are even making money with BB10 devices at the moment.
    Gallofa likes this.
    04-01-16 09:18 AM
    I bought a Priv because of the app issues running them on my Passport. The Priv is a good device. The trouble is that the buying public thinks BlackBerry doesn't make phones anymore. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-01-16 09:25 AM
    Not only the OS, but mainly the layoffs of personnel.
    I assume they are even making money with BB10 devices at the moment.
    Really wonder how much stock they have left.... and how long the BB10 devices have been out of production.

I taught that they were keeping inventory levels very low with Foxconn and the other builders being responsible for inventory and production. If that's the case, they could run out of BB10 devices pretty quickly, which might be the reason for the current sales.
    04-01-16 09:27 AM
    All those who bought BB10 devices in the past two years. Few of them wanted android. Some bought Priv because of loyalty to BlackBerry. They would have bought a bb10 phone if priv would have been launched with BB10.
    I suspect a number might have bought another BlackBerry period, android or BB10, if they launched something at a better price-point. BB10 fans (like us) would prefer BB10 of course, but people like my wife like her BlackBerry but want some apps. She also is not going to spend $800 on a phone. 2 years in, she's ready to upgrade and there is nothing from BlackBerry to jump to.

Seems to me there is an opportunity there for BB...but they dont seem interested in it I guess.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 09:32 AM
    I taught that they were keeping inventory levels very low with Foxconn and the other builders being responsible for inventory and production. If that's the case, they could run out of BB10 devices pretty quickly, which might be the reason for the current sales.
    In that case the ASP would be higher.
    04-01-16 09:44 AM
    Because it's really expensive. Not because of Android.
    It needs a $100 price cut badly. Blackberry hasn't earned the clout to sell a $700 phone yet.
    techvisor, Al moon, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    04-01-16 10:01 AM
    If this was lunched as a BB10 device... I would bet my last dollar there would be more units sold

Posted via CB10
    With no facebook, whatsapp, Netflix, and all the other apps that are either disappearing or were never available, the next BB10 phone should be a flip phone.
    Maxxxpower and Akuji_ism like this.
    04-01-16 10:10 AM
    Android, nexus security updates? Isn't that copycat?
    Pushing out security updates is copying? LOL, I'm done. These forums are getting ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower, eldricho, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    04-01-16 10:19 AM
    They should have increased margins by having Foxconn manufacture the phones.
    Wonder what the sales #s and margins are on the leap.

Top of the line phone sales are down across all manufacturers. Consumer behavior has changed on the $700-800 phones. I imagine it costs Blackberry a lot more to produce the priv than it takes Apple to make the 6S+. Last I checked, iPhone had a 57% profit margin per device, Samsung had a 38% margin, as their components (specially the curved glass) were more expensive than the iPhone.
    04-01-16 10:23 AM
    Yikes not great news. I mean you kind of expect it but I was hoping by some miracle the hardware numbers would be better. The Priv has flopped about as badly as BB10 so the Android experiment has failed. Maybe a low cost Android device will do better? Might as well give it one last shot. It would be sad to see BlackBerry stop producing hardware.
    04-01-16 10:25 AM
    BlackBerry Apps downloads at Google Play Store = Priv sales.
    A sad day for android priv fans.

We BB10 die hards hopes for a new BB10 device.

Posted via Q10Bold
    techvisor and dolco like this.
    04-01-16 10:25 AM
    Yes, that was a weird comment... maybe we didn't understand what he meant? I want to believe it's just a misunderstanding because I can't see any twist where a security update could be a copycat...

Pushing out security updates is copying? LOL, I'm done. These forums are getting ridiculous.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 10:26 AM
    If this was lunched as a BB10 device... I would bet my last dollar there would be more units sold

Posted via CB10
    I think this could potentially be true; but, the breakeven sales point for the device would be higher as well.
    04-01-16 10:34 AM
    A BB10.4 it would have needed with new features, Qt5, Android 5.x or 6.x runtime etc. would make it even more expensive as Priv already is. Who should buy such a device? A few Crackberry diehards?
    techvisor likes this.
    04-01-16 10:41 AM
    We BB10 die hards hopes for a new BB10 device.
    Prepare for disappointment.
    Maxxxpower, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    04-01-16 10:41 AM
    The trouble is that the buying public thinks BlackBerry doesn't make phones anymore.
    The problem, in my opinion, was the high markup of the PRIV, especially compared to competitors, and the inferior build quality of Blackberry phones.
    04-01-16 10:54 AM
    What are the chances of a fire sale on the Classic/Leap/Passport and even potentially the Priv now that these numbers are out?
    ADGrant likes this.
    04-01-16 11:05 AM
    Hahahaha 600k.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 11:06 AM
    Yes, that was a weird comment... maybe we didn't understand what he meant? I want to believe it's just a misunderstanding because I can't see any twist where a security update could be a copycat...

Posted via CB10
    That was a miss quote. And twisted abit. To sound dumb.

#luvmybb10os
    04-01-16 11:09 AM
    Sad day priv was a total bust they would have been better off sticking with bb10 and releasing a high end phone. And upgrading the run time. If they could figure a way to get play store on the phone with out androids permission that would be huge. But probably never happen. But still bb10 was the way to go they have to stop flailing around and focus. If they would have given upgrade path to the z and Q line. And stuck with it releasing new devices they would have sold more phones

#luvmybb10os
    04-01-16 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    The security updates come from Google. BlackBerry just passes them on. Cut and paste = copy
    04-01-16 11:31 AM
    That was a miss quote. And twisted abit. To sound dumb.

#luvmybb10os
    If you're suggesting I twisted his post to make it sound dumb you're mistaken. See page one of the comments. I quoted it as is.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 11:33 AM
237 1234 ...