down from 700 K last quarter. ASP the same as Q3FY16

UPDATES:
    - Chens No 1 focus is now software & services
    - If hardware becomes a burden, BB will get out of devices (as stated multiple times before)
    - Break even of hardware now down to 3 mio devices a year if asp stays as it is

Infos from the call regarding BB10 (from the chat, written by Bla1ze):
    - 10.3.3 might be as late as june.
    - 10.3.4 FY 2018

Classic is out of production (due to lack of old memory parts, have to assume the same for the LEAP). If you want a BB10 device, you had better buy it now.

Mid-grade is all he mentioned for future hardware... but needing high ASP.

Can get by with only 3 million a year if the ASP stays where it is ($315) - only problem is they aren't on track for 3 Million and I doubt they'll sell more of the PRIV after the launch. Launches are when you see the big numbers.

Did talk about direct to Enterprise distribution for hardware, and they were working to improve this. But also mentioned working with carriers that have enterprise focused channels.
    Further details:
    - user base down to 23 mio (from 25 mio in Q3FY16 and 37 mio Q4FY15)
    - 0.7 million smartphones sold through to end customers (down from 0.9 mio in Q3FY16 and 1.6 mio in Q4FY15)

source: Associated Documents
    Last edited by Maxxxpower; 04-02-16 at 05:56 AM.
    JeepBB, kirson, outlooker and 2 others like this.
    04-01-16 07:23 AM
    Missed badly on revenue. Hardware sales really quite bad and according to Chen was partly due in delays in negotiations with Verizon. Pre-market not too happy.

The break even may be down to 3mill devices a year but sales rate seems to be dropping faster. I wonder if we are going to see some further headcount trimming.

Software and sales uptick good. Have to keep it up.
    04-01-16 07:57 AM
    If this was lunched as a BB10 device... I would bet my last dollar there would be more units sold

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 08:01 AM
    If this was lunched as a BB10 device... I would bet my last dollar there would be more units sold

Posted via CB10
    You are dreaming. If it was a BB10 device it would not be on 3 major carriers in the US.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-01-16 08:03 AM
    Nah, I don't think so. BB10 failed completely. Either they sell enough Android devices or they leave the market.

Infos from the call regarding BB10 (from the chat, written by Bla1ze):
    - 10.3.3 might be as late as june.
    - 10.3.4 FY 2018
    techvisor, TgeekB, co4nd and 1 others like this.
    04-01-16 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    Classic is out of production (due to lack of old memory parts, have to assume the same for the LEAP). If you want a BB10 device, you had better buy it now.

Mid-grade is all he mentioned for future hardware... but needing high ASP.

Can get by with only 3 million a year if the ASP stays where it is ($315) - only problem is they aren't on track for 3 Million and I doubt they'll sell more of the PRIV after the launch. Launches are when you see the big numbers.

Did talk about direct to Enterprise distribution for hardware, and they were working to improve this. But also mentioned working with carriers that have enterprise focused channels.
    Maxxxpower, JeepBB, TGR1 and 3 others like this.
    As I said 1.000 times before, going Android was't the only way to go especially when BlackBerry decides to do the same null marketing campaign.

Priv didn't change the number of sold units, investing on, defending, finding new agreements and developing BlackBerry10 would probably lead to the same results.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 08:20 AM
    Priv didn't change the number of sold units
    Because it's really expensive. Not because of Android.
    04-01-16 08:26 AM
    As I said 1.000 times before, going Android was't the only way to go especially when BlackBerry decides to do the same null marketing campaign.

Priv didn't change the number of sold units, investing on, defending, finding new agreements and developing BlackBerry10 would probably lead to the same results.

Posted via CB10
    But Android did change the cost associated with hardware.... and they did sell 600K devices. Whereas if he'd stuck with BB10 it would have been much fewer devices and at a lower ASP and would have lost much more money.

And Android gives Chen a enterprise device... I think BlackBerry will move to more of a BlackPhone type business model. Lower specs, higher ASP, Enterprise only. And with BB10 that wouldn't even be an option due to the higher development and hardware cost.
    04-01-16 08:44 AM
    Because it's really expensive. Not because of Android.
    Wishful thinking. If we wanted android, we would have left a long time ago.
    Chen is killing hardware by copying the competitor's product and going down with it. No backbone, no vision.
    04-01-16 08:53 AM
    But Android did change the cost associated with hardware.... and they did sell 600K devices. Whereas if he'd stuck with BB10 it would have been much fewer devices and at a lower ASP and would have lost much more money.

And Android gives Chen a enterprise device... I think BlackBerry will move to more of a BlackPhone type business model. Lower specs, higher ASP, Enterprise only. And with BB10 that wouldn't even be an option due to the higher development and hardware cost.
    Passport, classic, all sold in much larger numbers on launch than the priv did.
    Priv is an epic fail, even though, unlike the Passport, Chen pushed it to 21 countries and many carriers. Passport wasn't even available with most of the carriers that sell the Priv. Even at Rogers in Toronto you could only order it online, not in stores.
    04-01-16 08:54 AM
    Wishful thinking. If we wanted android, we would have left a long time ago.
    "we"? How many people do you think are included in your "we"
    Chen is killing hardware by copying the competitor's product and going down with it. No backbone, no vision.
    QWERTY-Slider and monthly security updates? Doesn't look like a copycat to me.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-01-16 08:55 AM
    So, he has stated that his hardware target is 3 M/year. It's pretty clear he's not going to sell that many Privs, even allowing for the staggered launch. To have even a chance at hitting that target, he has to launch another device. What we don't know is whether he thinks it's worth trying to do.
    Bbnivende and techvisor like this.
    04-01-16 08:56 AM
    They still sold more Passports at launch than Privs.
    04-01-16 08:56 AM
    Passport, classic, all sold in much larger numbers on launch than the priv did.
    This is your assumption, not a fact.

They still sold more Passports at launch than Privs.
    Same for you. You can't prove this.
    tvst28 likes this.
    04-01-16 09:00 AM

All those who bought BB10 devices in the past two years. Few of them wanted android. Some bought Priv because of loyalty to BlackBerry. They would have bought a bb10 phone if priv would have been launched with BB10. Instead, I bought a second Passport last week, because I knew it wouldn't be available soon.
    04-01-16 09:00 AM

Android, nexus security updates? Isn't that copycat?
    rayh76 likes this.
    04-01-16 09:01 AM
    All those who bought BB10 devices in the past two years. Few of them wanted android. Some bought Priv because of loyalty to BlackBerry.
    Lol, you can't speak for all of them.
    They would have bought a bb10 phone if priv would have been launched with BB10. Instead, I bought a second Passport last week, because I knew it wouldn't be available soon.
    You get the difference between "they" and "I"
    Android, nexus security updates? Isn't that copycat?
    A copy of the devices by the inventor and force behind Andoid? Really? LOL.
    Jerry A likes this.
    04-01-16 09:03 AM
    This is your assumption, not a fact.

Same for you. You can't prove this.
    Really? Please check the number of phones sold in December 2014.
    There has been a steady and significant drop in the number of phones sold quarter on quarter, and you are assuming all phones sold this quarter were only Priv's. That obviously is wrong.
    Now you can all see that the number of BlackBerry App downloads in Google store actually reflects the real total number of Priv's sold last quarter and this quarter. Pathetic!
    Q10Bold, dolco and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-01-16 09:05 AM
    Look at hardware sales numbers for the respective quarters there you have your proof.
    04-01-16 09:06 AM
    Lol, you can't speak for all of them.

You get the difference between "they" and "I"

A copy of the devices by the inventor and force behind Andoid? Really? LOL.
    A copy of the operating system of your competitor and getting the security updates from your competitor.
    04-01-16 09:06 AM
    Really? Please check the number of phones sold in December 2014.
    Please do it and tell me how many of them were Passports and how many heavily discounted Z10, Q10 etc.
    Oh you can't because BB didn't give us detailed numbers...

There has been a steady and significant drop in the number of phones sold quarter on quarter, and you are assuming all phones sold this quarter were only Priv's. That obviously is wrong.
    Am I? Certainly not.

Now you can all see that the number of BlackBerry App downloads in Google store actually reflects the real priv total numbers sold last quarter and this quarter. Pathetic!
    Your arguments are pathetic.

Look at hardware sales numbers for the respective quarters there you have your proof.
    Nope. No proof as we don'T know how many BB10 devices sold were "fire sale" devices.

A copy of the operating system of your competitor and getting the security updates from your competitor.
    So Microsoft is a competitor of Dell and HP because they sell Windows laptops? ROFL
    Uzi likes this.
    04-01-16 09:07 AM
    Obviously you do not want to read the numbers.
    The total number of phones sold is down with the Priv compared to the quarters without the Priv. That's all we know for sure and we know that less than 650k Priv's have been sold which is way below Chen's target.
    So low that, for the first time, he is ashamed to include the number of phones sold this quarter, of whatever type.
    techvisor and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-01-16 09:12 AM
    Please do it and tell me how many of them were Passports and how many heavily discounted Z10, Q10 etc.
    Oh you can't because BB didn't give us detailed numbers...

Am I? Certainly not.

Your arguments are pathetic.

Nope. No proof as we don'T know how many BB10 devices sold were "fire sale" devices.

So Microsoft is a competitor of Dell and HP because they sell Windows laptops? ROFL
    No: bb10 and BBOS are competitors with android. You know very well what I mean.
    silversmith75 likes this.
    04-01-16 09:14 AM
237 123 ...