More Information:

500K smartphones sold through

User base: 18 mio

down from
    20 mio Q1FY17
    23 mio Q4FY16
    25 mio Q3FY16
    30 mio Q2FY16

"increase in the average selling price of hardware" (no detailed number)

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...nformation.pdf
    Last edited by Maxxxpower; 09-29-16 at 02:30 AM.
    09-28-16 07:57 AM
    ASP is now $270 as well.

Android did not help BlackBerry sell devices at all.

Not trying to rehash a whole thread but I wish BlackBerry would have stuck with BB10 a little longer than it did.

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    09-28-16 08:05 AM
    I wish BlackBerry would have stuck with BB10 a little longer than it did.
    Every (former) BB10 owner agrees, but in the end this wouldn't have changed anything. The hardware division had to go as all products since the Playbook were pretty much a failure (or completely outdated like the last BBOS devices). Including BB10.
    09-28-16 08:11 AM
    Every (former) BB10 owner agrees, but in the end this wouldn't have changed anything. The hardware division had to go as all products since the Playbook were pretty much a failure (or completely outdated like the last BBOS devices). Including BB10.
    Pretty sure the Playbook was a huge failure as well.
    09-28-16 10:08 AM
    Of course, but at that time, RIM still had other devices that sold quite well (Curves and Bolds).
    09-28-16 10:19 AM
    The smartphone industry is saturated. Either way the hardware division was going to face problems. I believe sticking with pure BB10 and keeping the product lines few and focussed, would have been better. By now the apparent would have become smaller as developers gained confidence that BlackBerry won't dump BB10 as they did BBOS and PlayBook OS

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-28-16 10:29 AM
    for me it is quite clear.

As I said for many times, as long as there are no Android niche device (PKB) - I see no reason to pay more for the device which I can buy for much less.

it talk the same about ALL manufacturers. For me - EVERY android phone does the same, so everything, actually, goes to TWO main differentiators: Specs and Price.

All you need to do - is just to look at the specs (what you want performance wise) and the price you can get those specs for.

all those Chinese manufacturers (oppo, 1+, Meizu, Xiaomi) are producing fantastic devices with very good specs for like half the price of Samsungs and etc.

that's why, if i will not be able to buy a PKB phone, my next device will be xiaomi or similar.

I just see no reason why to pay more for the, essentially, same thing (i.e. Alcatel branded vs more expensive DTEK50 which is essentialyl same phone as the Alcatel device.). I just see no logic here.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-16 10:52 AM
    The smartphone industry is saturated. Either way the hardware division was going to face problems. I believe sticking with pure BB10 and keeping the product lines few and focussed, would have been better. By now the apparent would have become smaller as developers gained confidence that BlackBerry won't dump BB10 as they did BBOS and PlayBook OS

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    The big change is in the US market. The move away from two year contracts with massive discounts on phones has started a disruption in the phone market that will just continue to get bigger over the next twelve to 24 months. I don't buy new phones for my family, we go on SWAPPA and buy good quality used phones. We save a ton of money. We are saving over $120 a month now on our phone bill. I think as many people come off their two year contacts over the next 12 months, few will be willing to pay $25-30 a month per line for the latest phone. Yes, they were actually paying a little bit like this before, but now that they have the option I think people will keep their existing phones longer.
    09-28-16 11:00 AM
    The brand became toxic and BlackBerry was not willing to put out the ad dollars needed to rebrand.

I really thought android BlackBerry's would sell, but priv was too pricey and the 808/810 generation killed many good smartphones, gflex 2 and HTC m9 spring to mind right away.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 11:04 AM
    More Information:

500K smartphones sold through
    User base: 18 mio ( down from 20 mio in Q1FY17, 23 mio Q4FY16, 25 mio Q3FY16, 30 mio Q2FY16)
    "increase in the average selling price of hardware" (no detailed number)

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...nformation.pdf
    09-29-16 02:28 AM