I'm thinking of trading in my Passport because it's a bit unweildy and having half of the keyboard on the touchscreen is annoying as hell. I'm mulling the Q10 and the Classic, but I'm not sure which to get.

Pros of Q10:
    • Superior AMOLED screen
    • Removable battery (there have been a few occasions over the years when my battery has died and I've had to go several hours without a phone, so this would be useful)
    • HDMI out
    • Much cheaper

Cons of Q10:
    • Older device, unsure of future OS updates (someone please enlighten me)
    • No utility belt (would I even miss it, though?)

Pros of Classic:
    • Utility belt (I really like the trackpad on my Bold 9900)
    •Hardware back button allows for removal of bottom bar on Android apps, freeing up precious screen real estate on the small screen
    • Newer device, better prospect of OS updates
    • Slightly larger screen

Cons of Classic:
    • No removable battery
    • Inferior screen
    • More than twice the price of the Q10

Can anybody help me make up my mind on this?

Posted via my OG  BlackBerry Passport
    10-09-16 05:10 PM
    I have the Q10, I do not miss the tool belt at all using OS10.
    As far as OS10 updates, they both will get the exact same updates till the end.
    (Understand the updates will show up as phone specific loading leaks, but it will be across the board for all models through released OTA)
    10-09-16 05:30 PM
    The screen on the Classic is actually better than the Q10

You coming from Passport - then go with Classic buddy!

#whatisclassic
    10-09-16 07:21 PM
    As much as I hate non-removable batteries, I'd get a Classic given a choice between those two at this point. The slightly larger screen size and toolbelt will make it worth it. But of course, if I were to buy another BlackBerry this year, it'd be a Passport. Either white or silver.
    10-09-16 08:50 PM
    Save your money.

Q5.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 09:44 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far. Is there any difference between an unlocked device, and one from a carrier? If not, I can get one locked to my carrier for cheaper. I know Android devices get some carrier customisation/bloatware, but is the BlackBerry situation like with Apple where they're not allowed to do that?

10-10-16 12:54 AM
    I had the same experience with a Passport SE. It's on its way back to BlackBerry and I'm back on my Q10 as my daily driver. I've yet to try out a Classic, but it's next on my list.

A couple other pros of the Q10 from my perspective are:

*Compact size. The Classic isn't too much larger, but it's larger. That might make a difference in terms of comfort and usability.

*Carbon fiber weave on black model. I know it's purely cosmetic but I love the look of it compared to the plain rubberized back of the Classic.

*Ease of DIY repair/replacement. I have replaced the keyboard, screen, and even swapped out the frame on my Black Q10 with the silver frame from a white one. The result is what I call the "BlackBerry Q10: Bold Edition".

Q10 or Classic-wp_20160213_003.jpg

Considering it already has a user-replaceable battery and replacement parts are inexpensive, you will be able to keep a Q10 going for quite some time at less cost and effort than a Classic.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    10-10-16 07:29 AM
    I sold my first Q10 after just a month of use two years ago when it developed the double typing curse. After reading about the software patch that fixed the double typing issue earlier this year, I bought a Q10 a few months back. No regrets here. The typing feel is peerless. I already have a large screen phone as my daily consumption device, but for texts and email, yeah never mind the support for other messaging apps which are non-existent or almost non-existent, the Q10 is the perfect device for typing.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-10-16 07:47 AM
    Q10 is way more future proof than the others. Easy to replace hardware components, removable battery...

Future BB10 OS updates should not be a deciding factor any more.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 08:17 AM
    You can still remove the bottom nav bar on Android apps and do a slight diagonal swipe (bottom right to slightly above to the left -- a thumb flick) to go back.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 08:19 AM
    That's a beautiful looking mod, Newfangled. It really does look like the old Bold.

I snagged a cheap Q10 off eBay this afternoon, so I should have it by the end of the week. Thanks for the advice!

10-10-16 08:22 AM
    That's a beautiful looking mod, Newfangled. It really does look like the old Bold.

I snagged a cheap Q10 off eBay this afternoon, so I should have it by the end of the week. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah that's probably the biggest "pro"... it is cheaper. Enjoy it!
    10-10-16 08:37 AM
    The screen on the Classic is actually better than the Q10
    Yeah, AMOLED looks awesome indoors, but outdoors the Classic LCD is much easier to read.
    Jamar Wright likes this.
    10-10-16 08:40 AM
    Yeah that's probably the biggest "pro"... it is cheaper. Enjoy it!
    You seem to be double-posting in various threads, FYI.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-10-16 08:40 AM
    Yeah... every post it wold seem.

Tried rebooting my PC.
    10-10-16 08:48 AM