My home charger for my Q10 died for some reason. As it is only 2 months old, it is still on warranty. I went to the AT&T store where I bought it & they gave me a generic charger & said if I wanted an OEM I should contact BlackBerry. The generic charger had an output of 1.5A, the OEM is .85A, so I didn't want to use the generic one.

I called BB, and after ages on the phone was told I had to go to AT&T. The lady also said any charger that fits will work. HUH?

I called AT&T back, finally they gave me a telephone number for handset support. The guy was very nice and ordered me a charger. Problem is, when I got the emailed confirmation I saw it was not an OEM. this one was .65 mA. So I called them back. A very nice lady investigated it for me and said they had no OEM chargers, but she would order me one directly from BB. All told, I probably spent 4 hours on this. I am now waiting for the new charger.

My question is, will a non OEM charger harm the phone? My Kindle charger has an output of .85A like the OEM. Does that mean it is safe to use that one till I get the correct one? I sure dont want to harm my lovely phone! Fortunately I have the car charger bundle with the extra battery, which is coming in handy right now.
    08-25-13 10:38 PM
    It would charge slowly, but I do not know why it would damage your phone though.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    08-25-13 10:42 PM
    The dude, use the 1.5A one! It will charge twice as fast! I use the PlayBook's when I need some quick juice.

Nothing will happen to your phone.. unless the charger is a super badly done, 1 dollar Chinese product, then there's some risk your house burns down.

Yes, higher rated chargers degrade battery life but you won't even notice unless you intend to keep the phone for more than 2 years or charge the battery 20 times a day.. and even then, you can just buy a new battery.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    08-25-13 10:54 PM
    The dude, use the 1.5A one! It will charge twice as fast! I use the PlayBook's when I need some quick juice.

Nothing will happen to your phone.. unless the charger is a super badly done, 1 dollar Chinese product, then there's some risk your house burns down.

Yes, higher rated chargers degrade battery life but you won't even notice unless you intend to keep the phone for more than 2 years or charge the battery 20 times a day.. and even then, you can just buy a new battery.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    I just looked at the charger bundle I bought for th Q10. It is 1.8 A!!! So I guess you are right. I'm using the stronger charger. I already have 2 batteries as I got one with the charger bundle. So I'm all set!!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    09-02-13 07:59 PM
    Lol no. The phone will only draw what it wants. The charger doesn't push the amps into the phone, the phone draws what it wants from the charger. So if the phone is only set to draw 1 amp or less, that 1.8 amp charger doesn't mean anything, it's still only charging at 1amp to the phone.

Sent from my HTC One
    09-02-13 08:49 PM
    Long as it works!!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    DS1331 likes this.
    09-03-13 11:27 AM
    I have a question: I've got a q10 and while I use the charger supplied with it (850mA 5V) when I'm out. At home I charge my q10 using my old Bold 9780 charger (700mA 5V).

Any problem if I do that? With the bold charger, it takes just a bit longer to fully charge the device.

Just don't wanna mess with the battery.
    Thanks for any replies.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:08 AM
    Anyone out there to reply my previous question?

Sorry to bother, just wanna check this out and be sure I am playing safe with the different chargers

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 04:37 AM
    I do it all the time!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 04:40 AM
    Thanks dude for the reply

Posted via CB10
    edberry12 likes this.
    09-21-13 06:45 AM
    Thanks dude for the reply

Posted via CB10
    Hi, i just read your post. Have you experienced any issues with the 750ma charger?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 09:36 PM